FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2007, 03:23 PM

Default Re: mandatory mental health evaluation for gun-rights supporters

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like an unbiased opinion to me!

[/ QUOTE ]

Not more biased than any quotes from NRA and similar organizations!

[/ QUOTE ]

So your counter to bias is more bias?

Also, LOL at your "source". Listen to this whopper:

[ QUOTE ]
Claim 2. Armed robberies are up by a "whopping" 44% since the new laws. In fact the rate of armed robbery increase dropped 12% in 1998.

[/ QUOTE ]

These two statements are not mutually exclusive, DUCY? Plus, data-cherry-picking FTW.

NOW REMEMBER, your statement that I asked for a cite on was this:

[ QUOTE ]
Were all crimes with, or without, guns, eliminated? NO, in either cases, but they were reduced!

[/ QUOTE ]

Please provide a source that backs this statement. The one you've provided does not, since it acknowleges that crime increased after the new austrailian gun laws.

Continuing on...

[ QUOTE ]
Lets put it this way. You favor unlimited gun ownership and you are in a room with a totally deranged person (they do exists). You would say that in the name of freedom you would like, or not object to, him to have a gun!?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do I have to be compelled to be in a room with other people? I probably wouldn't want him to have a baseball bat, or knitting needles, or a fork, either.

Yet another case of jumping to edge-case scenarios (locked in an enclosed space with a "total nutcase") to justify impositions in the general case. If everyone were derranged and everyone were locked in rooms with other people, you might be on to something! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] <-- I'm going to start taking a page from the RedBean/Midge Secret Trolling Handbook and start using more smart-ass statements, of course dding a "!" and a "" to the end.

And since these people DO exist, I am certainly *entitled* to defend myself from them. Since these people DO manage to get guns (your precious gun control doesn't magically make them impossible to obtain) I certainly see a need for myself to have access to defensive measures.

Now, putting ALL of that aside, can you please explain why I need *your* permission in the first place?

[/ QUOTE ]

And now I've found the post that I can link to anytime someone claims banning guns is a good idea. Well done sir.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You don't know much about guns or people who carry them, do you?

[/ QUOTE ]

I know a enough about youths who have access to guns... they kill each other more. I also have enough direct experience with drunken college kids to know that if they all carried guns, there would be a lot of tragic incidents.

And I do recall that the 2001 Surgeon General's Report on Youth Violence that an increase in youths access to firearms led to an increase in violence related to such weapons.

Just looked up a summary from it-
"Even though youth violence is less lethal today than it was in 1993, the percentage of adolescents involved in violent behavior remains alarmingly high. The epidemic of lethal violence that swept the United States was fueled in large part by easy access to weapons, notably firearms —and youths' self-reports of violence indicate that the potential for a resurgence of lethal violence exists."
Old 10-12-2007, 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You don't know much about guns or people who carry them, do you?

[/ QUOTE ]

I know a enough about youths who have access to guns... they kill each other more. I also have enough direct experience with drunken college kids to know that if they all carried guns, there would be a lot of tragic incidents.

And I do recall that the 2001 Surgeon General's Report on Youth Violence that an increase in youths access to firearms led to an increase in violence related to such weapons.

Just looked up a summary from it-
"Even though youth violence is less lethal today than it was in 1993, the percentage of adolescents involved in violent behavior remains alarmingly high. The epidemic of lethal violence that swept the United States was fueled in large part by easy access to weapons, notably firearms —and youths' self-reports of violence indicate that the potential for a resurgence of lethal violence exists."

[/ QUOTE ]
Youths = college students?
Perpetually drunk and stupid college students = likely to drop $400+ on a hand gun and go through the trouble of getting a carry permit?
Old 10-12-2007, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm really surpsised that people would want college kids carrying firearms.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you understand the difference between "You do not have the authority to restrict activity X" and "You want people to do activity X"?
Old 10-12-2007, 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm really surpsised that people would want college kids carrying firearms.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you understand the difference between "You do not have the authority to restrict activity X" and "You want people to do activity X"?

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course he doesn't. If he understood that he would have nothing to whine about, and might be resigned to honest arguments.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As for internal government intervention, I don't know how many countries you have studied, been too or lived in, but from an outside perspective the US is quite low on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are many levels of government in the US. Some areas of the US have very strict gun control laws; by coincidence these are the same areas that have very high crime rates.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Youths = college students?
Perpetually drunk and stupid college students = likely to drop $400+ on a hand gun and go through the trouble of getting a carry permit?

[/ QUOTE ]

College students aren't 'youths'? Isn't 'youth' typically denote people who are young? You don't agree that your average college student isn't young and, perhaps, relatively immature? More prone to irrational emotional reactions?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
what about drunk and stupid college kids who already have a gun? Or who come from a family with money? Or whose parents buy them guns?

Is your argument that my concern about the rationality of having a group who are still somewhat immature is invalid because you think they can't afford guns?
Old 10-12-2007, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what about drunk and stupid college kids who already have a gun?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, genius, they already have them.

[ QUOTE ]
Or who come from a family with money? Or whose parents buy them guns?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're really neck-deep in several fallacies of aggregation.

1) Some college students are drunk and stupid.
+
2) Some college students have guns.
=
3) Anyone opposing a forcible disarmament of college students is advocating arming drunk stupid people.

It's FOOLPROOF LOGIC!
Old 10-12-2007, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"Comparble western nations" aren't actually comparable since they don't have government intervention on the same scale in the form of our war on drugs (among many other things).

[/ QUOTE ]

As for internal government intervention, I don't know how many countries you have studied, been too or lived in, but from an outside perspective the US is quite low on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

O RLY?

Please list "comparble western nations" that are more invasive when it comes to drugs than the US.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
what about drunk and stupid college kids who already have a gun?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, genius, they already have them.

[ QUOTE ]
Or who come from a family with money? Or whose parents buy them guns?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're really neck-deep in several fallacies of aggregation.

1) Some college students are drunk and stupid.
+
2) Some college students have guns.
=
3) Anyone opposing a forcible disarmament of college students is advocating arming drunk stupid people.

It's FOOLPROOF LOGIC!

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, I was a Campus Police officer while a student in college, and I carried a gun on me off duty, to class, and I never shot anyone.

I had several friends who were not campus police officers who carried concealed weapons to class, it never bothered me.