Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2006, 04:31 PM

Default Re: ***Official Minnesota Twins V Oakland A\'s playoff thread***

I'm not going to run the numbers, but I would be moderately surprised if bunting in that spot is better than letting Castillo hit.
Old 10-03-2006, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not going to run the numbers, but I would be moderately surprised if bunting in that spot is better than letting Castillo hit.

[/ QUOTE ]

really? i'm not generally in the moneyball camp, i like getting my runners over (for example we score on the next hit by punto). but after he bunts (and misses!!!1) at the first pitch why give up? that part i don't understand.
Old 10-03-2006, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

there is a chapter in bp's book about this spot. depends on who is hitting/pitching obviously but in this situation i think bunting is fractions better.
Old 10-03-2006, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just got home from the game. Questions I have:

1) 8th inning Bartlet double and Castilo @ the plate...
- i think it's 50/50 on bunt v swing when he first gets up since if you noticed he had the ENTIRE side of the infield as Chavez was up and in. But I'm ok with a bunt there.
-wtf did he miss and barlet fall over and almost get picked off?
-why didn't he bunt again on 0-1? that made no sense to me, why should one strike change your mind? please castillo is a great bunter. i thought that was horrible baseball.

[/ QUOTE ]

They decide to bunt the guy over. They see how happy the A's are to trade an out and like the defensive alignment for him so they decide to hit.

Bartlett put on a clown show. That's a classic situation that is practiced starting at the high school level. Yo Bartlett, stop me if you've heard this: "It is the batter's job to move you over, don't get caught leaning."
Old 10-03-2006, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Just got home from the game. Questions I have:

1) 8th inning Bartlet double and Castilo @ the plate...
- i think it's 50/50 on bunt v swing when he first gets up since if you noticed he had the ENTIRE side of the infield as Chavez was up and in. But I'm ok with a bunt there.
-wtf did he miss and barlet fall over and almost get picked off?
-why didn't he bunt again on 0-1? that made no sense to me, why should one strike change your mind? please castillo is a great bunter. i thought that was horrible baseball.

[/ QUOTE ]

They decide to bunt the guy over. They see how happy the A's are to trade an out and like the defensive alignment for him so they decide to hit.

Bartlett put on a clown show. That's a classic situation that is practiced starting at the high school level. Yo Bartlett, stop me if you've heard this: "It is the batter's job to move you over, don't get caught leaning."

[/ QUOTE ]

that's why (defensive alignment) i thought he should swing at the first pitch, and then, if that fails, try to move him over. i don't understand the logic of seeing Oakland 'happy' to let us get the tying run on third and trying to make them 'unhappy' by swining. The Twins got here by doing the little things like bunting, i dont know why they changed their mind this afternoon.
Old 10-03-2006, 04:46 PM

Also forgot to mention that Punto made a hell of a play on that flyball down the left field line.
Old 10-03-2006, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i don't understand the logic of seeing Oakland 'happy' to let us get the tying run on third and trying to make them 'unhappy' by swining.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's seeing commitment to defending the bunt. Whether or not you agree or think it sound, the logic is valid.
Old 10-03-2006, 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Ok...game 2 tomorrow. I'm ready. The A's aren't that good, the Twins just played a pretty bad game, IMO. (Not to take anything away from the A's, but we didn't get a bunt down (something we normally do), we made a strange pitching move in the 9th, we had 2 errors, we swung at a lot of bad pitches. But at least this game is out of our system.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love how the Twins fans and Keith Law think the A's got lucky because although Zito was outside the strike zone all day the Twins were swinging at bad pitches. LOLOLOL! Why throw strikes when you don't have to?
Old 10-03-2006, 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

there is a chapter in bp's book about this spot. depends on who is hitting/pitching obviously but in this situation i think bunting is fractions better.

[/ QUOTE ]

What changes things is when you know they know you are bunting and their pitcher has a good curveball -- now you have a right handed batter with good bat control who pretty much knows what pitch is coming. Deciding to let him swing seems pretty reasonable.

Then again I'm not half the manager of some of your twoplustwo denizens...
Old 10-03-2006, 05:12 PM

When did the Twins turn into the Angels?