Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2007, 09:17 PM

Default Re: OFFICIAL NCAAF Rank\'em thread: October 14, 2007

[ QUOTE ]
Here's some food for thought. UCLA beat Oregon St, which beat Cal, which beat Oregon, who crushed Michigan. This would point to be Pac 10 being up and down the most solid conference in the country and head and shoulders above the other conferences except the SEC. But UCLA also got slaughtered at home by Notre Dame, and everything came full circle with Michigan obliterating Notre Dame at home. This is what I was trying to get at before.

[/ QUOTE ]
Victory chains are fun!

Did you know that:
Toledo beat
Iowa St who beat
Iowa who beat
Syracuse who beat
Louisville who beat
Cincinnati who beat
Oregon St who beat
California who beat
Tennessee who beat
Mississippi St who beat
Auburn who beat
Kansas St who beat
Colorado who beat
Oklahoma???

ZOMG OVERRATED!!! How is a team that would obviously lose to Toledo ranked in the BCS top five???
Old 10-15-2007, 09:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

LOL that is the biggest joke ever. The worst team in the Pac 10 is way better than the entire bottom half of the Big 10.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's definitely borne out by evidence. Oh no, wait. It's not. The worst team in the Pac-Ten (WSU) actually played one of those bottom half of the Big-Ten teams you're talking about (Wisconsin) and lost by 21 points. I'm not saying the Big-Ten's better than the Pac-Ten; everyone knows the Pac-Ten's slightly better, but can we ditch the hyperbole please?

[/ QUOTE ]
Since when is Wisconsin in the bottom half of the Big 10?

[/ QUOTE ]

Since they lost to Penn State by 31 points. According to the Sagarin predictor, they're the 8th best team in the conference behind Michigan State and Indiana.

[/ QUOTE ]
I refuse to trust a predictor that claims UCLA is better than USC. The win against Notre Dame this weekend will prove me right. And the Sagarin predictor I looked at had Wisc ahead of BOTH Mich St and Indiana.

[/ QUOTE ]
My bad I was looking at the rating not the predictor. But UCLA is still better than USC by the predictor as well as the rating which I think is a total joke. I don't really take these kinds of power rankings seriously because of stuff like this. A scientific system can't grasp the ramifications of losing 20-6 at home to Notre Dame. Looking over Sagarin's CF rankings, both the ratings and the predictors look like a total joke to me. According the rating the top 10 is:

1. Ohio State (really? your system really somehow comes up with unbeaten Ohio State being better than unbeaten USF? I'm at a loss)
2.LSU
3. USF
4. Kansas (again, are you serious? their best win was a 6 point victory at Kansas State. Before that they have been playing the likes of Toledo and Southeastern Louisiana.
5. WVU
6. OU
7. ASU (you think they're the best team in the conference even after struggling to a 3 point win over WSU?
8. Oregon
9. UK
10. Florida (don't even get me started on them being this high)

here is the predictor
1. Oklahoma
2. tOSU
3. Oregon
4. Kansas
5. WVU
6. LSU
7. USF
8. Florida
9. Cincinnati
10. ASU

you guys really take this stuff seriously?
Old 10-15-2007, 09:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Here's some food for thought. UCLA beat Oregon St, which beat Cal, which beat Oregon, who crushed Michigan. This would point to be Pac 10 being up and down the most solid conference in the country and head and shoulders above the other conferences except the SEC. But UCLA also got slaughtered at home by Notre Dame, and everything came full circle with Michigan obliterating Notre Dame at home. This is what I was trying to get at before.

[/ QUOTE ]
Victory chains are fun!

Did you know that:
Toledo beat
Iowa St who beat
Iowa who beat
Syracuse who beat
Louisville who beat
Cincinnati who beat
Oregon St who beat
California who beat
Tennessee who beat
Mississippi St who beat
Auburn who beat
Kansas St who beat
Colorado who beat
Oklahoma???

ZOMG OVERRATED!!! How is a team that would obviously lose to Toledo ranked in the BCS top five???

[/ QUOTE ]
do you actually read what i'm saying? or is your thought process "hey look a victory chain! he must be trying to prove notre dame is the best team in the country! i know how to counter this!" the point is when everyone is losing to everyone else there might a lot more parity than people want to let on
Old 10-15-2007, 09:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My bad I was looking at the rating not the predictor. But UCLA is still better than USC by the predictor as well as the rating which I think is a total joke. I don't really take these kinds of power rankings seriously because of stuff like this. A scientific system can't grasp the ramifications of losing 20-6 at home to Notre Dame. Looking over Sagarin's CF rankings, both the ratings and the predictors look like a total joke to me. According the rating the top 10 is:

1. Ohio State (really? your system really somehow comes up with unbeaten Ohio State being better than unbeaten USF? I'm at a loss)Have you seen Ohio State's margins of victory? And USF's struggle againts Florida Atlantic? Not to mention how terrible USF looked against West Virginia? No question in my mind that OSU is better
2.LSU
3. USF
4. Kansas (again, are you serious? their best win was a 6 point victory at Kansas State. Before that they have been playing the likes of Toledo and Southeastern Louisiana.and DESTROYING THEM ALL. This team has had a SCARILY GOOD lack of letdowns, most teams will have a close game somewhere, even with this weak of a schedule.
5. WVU Probably a little high
6. OU
7. ASU (you think they're the best team in the conference even after struggling to a 3 point win over WSU? By a very small margin... I'd take Oregon here too, but I'll admit it's close.
8. Oregon
9. UK
10. Florida (don't even get me started on them being this high) No way they aren't top ten in a power ranking. Obviously they should be (and are) lower in a purely performance based ranking system, with the two losses but this team looks real good overall.

here is the predictor
1. Oklahoma
2. tOSU
3. Oregon
4. Kansas
5. WVU
6. LSU
7. USF
8. Florida
9. Cincinnati
10. ASU

you guys really take this stuff seriously? Yes. I'm not seeing your problem, since all you did was quote rankings that I think are pretty good... except maybe Cincinnati. They're top ten still in my personal computer power rankings too, and I think it's a bit questionable, but overall I think these rankings are a more fair assessment of how good each team is than almost any human poll I've seen.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-15-2007, 09:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
LOL that is the biggest joke ever. The worst team in the Pac 10 is way better than the entire bottom half of the Big 10.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. This sort of delusional fantasyland dreaming is usually only seen from NDers.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Also, LOL at everyone ranking Florida better than USC. They might be defending national champions, they might be in the SEC, but this team barely beat Ole Miss then lost two in a row, once to Auburn who is not that good. Florida might be a better team than USC, its tough to tell, but as of this moment you can not rank them higher after losing twice.

This leads to my last LOL, all the people continue to rank LSU in the top 5 or even top 3 (not you rwperu I think I can live with your ranking).

[/ QUOTE ]
Finally, someone who actually knows what they are talking about! This guy is a refreshing breath of nice fresh air! Good for you son!

The SEC is a vastly overrated conference, except for South Carolina of course [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]. Way to point that out! So USC has a bad game -- everyone has em! They are still great, and obviously much better than any of those silly SEC teams. So what if Florida lost to two ranked teams and USC lost to a bottom of the barrel opponent. Last time I checked 2 losses was still two losses and one loss was still one loss. 2 > 1 last time I checked.

[ QUOTE ]
Whoever keeps winning can enjoy better rankings and its pretty dumb to keep claiming that such and such a team deserves a better ranking even after losing because we don't want to be results oriented.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I don't understand that whole results oriented thing either, so you are not alone!

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. On a quality per post basis, this is BY FAR the best gimmick account EVER. A++++++ would read again.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Victory chains are fun!

Did you know that:
Toledo beat
Iowa St who beat
Iowa who beat
Syracuse who beat
Louisville who beat
Cincinnati who beat
Oregon St who beat
California who beat
Tennessee who beat
Mississippi St who beat
Auburn who beat
Kansas St who beat
Colorado who beat
Oklahoma???

[/ QUOTE ]
do you actually read what i'm saying? or is your thought process "hey look a victory chain! he must be trying to prove notre dame is the best team in the country! i know how to counter this!" the point is when everyone is losing to everyone else there might a lot more parity than people want to let on

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, I read your entire post, and the reasons why it was stupid had nothing to do with the victory chain, which actually led to the closest thing you had to a valid point. However it *did* contain a victory chain, and victory chains *are* fun, so I used it as an excuse to post one :P

It wasn't intended as criticism of your foolish USC homerism, that you are failing miserably to justify. I'll address that in more detail too, though, if you'd like.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

1. Ohio State (really? your system really somehow comes up with unbeaten Ohio State being better than unbeaten USF? I'm at a loss)Have you seen Ohio State's margins of victory? And USF's struggle againts Florida Atlantic? Not to mention how terrible USF looked against West Virginia? No question in my mind that OSU is better
2.LSU
3. USF
4. Kansas (again, are you serious? their best win was a 6 point victory at Kansas State. Before that they have been playing the likes of Toledo and Southeastern Louisiana.and DESTROYING THEM ALL. This team has had a SCARILY GOOD lack of letdowns, most teams will have a close game somewhere, even with this weak of a schedule.
5. WVU Probably a little high
6. OU
7. ASU (you think they're the best team in the conference even after struggling to a 3 point win over WSU? By a very small margin... I'd take Oregon here too, but I'll admit it's close.
8. Oregon
9. UK
10. Florida (don't even get me started on them being this high) No way they aren't top ten in a power ranking. Obviously they should be (and are) lower in a purely performance based ranking system, with the two losses but this team looks real good overall.

here is the predictor
1. Oklahoma
2. tOSU
3. Oregon
4. Kansas
5. WVU
6. LSU
7. USF
8. Florida
9. Cincinnati
10. ASU

you guys really take this stuff seriously? Yes. I'm not seeing your problem, since all you did was quote rankings that I think are pretty good... except maybe Cincinnati. They're top ten still in my personal computer power rankings too, and I think it's a bit questionable, but overall I think these rankings are a more fair assessment of how good each team is than almost any human poll I've seen.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
First of all, according to Sagarin's own rankings WVU are top 5 and Auburn are top 15. The best team that tOSU has played in his own system are 29. The next best is 41. How does tOSU come out on top?
As for Kansas, your argument is they deserve to be that high because they blew out of a lot of nobodies? They should have a letdown sometime right? It came, right when they played a halfway decent team (how kansas state is #11 in the Sagarin predictor is another thing that needs answering).

I am not arguing that the human polls are necessarily better, but that these rankings are far from perfect, and people shouldn't quote Sagarin like it was the word of God. Take for instance, the argument that started this whole discussion of Sagarin: that according to his predictor Wisconsin is the 8th best team in the big 10. I don;t know how you can argue this.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
First of all, according to Sagarin's own rankings WVU are top 5 and Auburn are top 15. The best team that tOSU has played in his own system are 29. The next best is 41. How does tOSU come out on top?

[/ QUOTE ]

You should probably sit and try to understand the rankings if you want to argue against them without looking like an idiot
Old 10-15-2007, 10:08 PM

Semtex- Are you drunk?