Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do you focus on stuck players during online play?
Yes 10 14.29%
No 21 30.00%
I look for tilt in general and play accordingly. 39 55.71%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-06-2007, 10:56 PM

Default Re: Beat: beckham over LT?

I don't care at all about who's more Now because I think it's the stupidest segment in the history of ESPN and I don't even know what it means nor do I care to try to find out.

I'm just addressing the general argument that some are making that so many more people have heard of LT.
I don't believe they have.
And I certainly don't think the percentage of the American population who has heard of LT is in the 60% range.
Maybe I guess, but that strikes me as a bit high.
Similar to how I'm not sure 60% of the population could correctly answer, "What is the name of the football team in San Diego."
Old 07-06-2007, 11:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm honestly not sure who I think is more "Now," but you're not addressing the extent of the knowledge of the two players, which is important. It's safe to say that more people do know who Beckham is, mostly because of all the women that read Us Weekly, but they probably don't know anything about him beyond that he plays soccer, is from England, is married to a spice girl, and will be coming to the US soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

And I think that's what the whole "now" thing is supposed to be about. Remember, Tony Parker made the brackets, Tim Duncan didn't.

[ QUOTE ]
They likely don't even know which teams he's played for or will play for in the US, and neither do most guys. On the other hand, of the 60% or whatever of the population that's heard of LT, many of them could tell you that he plays RB for the Chargers, has just set the all-time TD record, and maybe that he arrived there because they traded away their shot at Vick. Big difference, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would think anybody who knows about the whole Vick trade with Tomlinson is probably going to be enough of a sports fan to at least be familiar with Beckham's European history. Again, if we're talking Texas or the deep South, I could be wrong.

But remember, Ronaldinho is in the brackets, Johan Santana is not. So I think this stupid contest is supposed to mean something different than what a lot of people think it means.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:10 PM

62 million US viewers watched past world cup
91 mil US viewers saw superbowl
Old 07-06-2007, 11:30 PM

sightless - I'm not sure I get your point. number of viewers of the WC has nothing to do with how many have heard of Beckham.

legend42 - I was unaware of the whole Vick/Tomlinson connection. But I don't follow the league very closely. Just casually watch a game or two on Sundays.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hope all of you guys realize that Ladainian Tomlinson beat David Beckham in this poll.

[/ QUOTE ]

zomg clear proof.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

If you really think that he wouldn't know who David Beckham is

[/ QUOTE ]

I asked. They aren't. Get over yourself. You still failed to see the point. Donk.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who's they? I'm talking about your friend. Get over yourself. Donk.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Who's they? I'm talking about your friend. Get over yourself. Donk.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahahahaha
Old 07-07-2007, 12:24 AM

Vyse: stop posting.

Everyone else: Uhmm...this is like who is the biggest "star" and anyone answering anything other than Beckham here doesn't know WTF they are talking about and hasn't been paying attention.

Salt: I agree that soccer has a lot of participation, but how are you defining how Americans "care" about a sport? Soccer has a lot more participation because it is a lot cheaper and easier to play than hockey. Hockey games draw more people/attention than MLS games/other soccer games. Seriously, how often do you see soccer on Sportscenter as compared to hockey even (which is about as obscure of a "major" sport as you can get.) How about sports talk radio? Hockey is still talked about some, but soccer...hardly ever. I love soccer and I agree it is played by a lot of people, but I'm not sure that means America "loves" soccer by any means. Soccer is always going to have high participation numbers because it is easy and cheap to setup so it is perfect for kids/intramurals, etc...
Old 07-07-2007, 02:35 AM

lol @ people thinking their "omg it's so obvious you're so stupid for not knowing" statements actually constitute arguments.
Old 07-07-2007, 02:47 AM

Lol @ your ignorance regarding Beck's popularity. No one talks about the MLS ever and Beck coming has everyone talking about him, his wife, and the potential impact. Beck is a worldwide known superstar, and is a huge figure in the US even though soccer isn't covered in the media often. LT might not even be in the top 10 of most recognizable faces IN THE NFL, and thinking he is a bigger "superstar" than Beckham is laughable. Why do you think the Galaxy is throwing so much money at him? The argument isn't is the NFL bigger than soccer here, it's who is the bigger superstar and if you want to go global it's Beck and not even close and if you want to go U.S. it's Beck and still not that close when compared to LT.