Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2007, 10:35 AM

Default Re: Boondock Saints

Rush,

The difference between you and I on this matter (it seems) is that I don't think my liking BS qualifies it as a "good" movie. My statement that "BOONDOCK SAINTS IS A GOOD MOVIE" is closer to reality than "BS is garbage" based on it's entertainment value and on the fact that the majority of people who saw it, loved it. Whereas, your not liking it qualifies it as absolutely bad because you are a more "pensive" fellow and you watch foreign films.
[ QUOTE ]
Believe me, I know a little bit about movies, and I think I can say with some certainty that this film is pretty awful.

[/ QUOTE ]
There are plenty of movies that contain overacting, poor writing, etc. that are enjoyable because other elements carry them- or we simply tolerate it because we take the movie at face value.
[ QUOTE ]
Why would anyone say that there seems to be a contest to out-brood, outcontemplate, out-meditate, or out-ponder anyone here?

[/ QUOTE ]

I gave you the definition. If you have to extrapolate to make your point fine. If you still don't think in deep thought fits the "denotative" meaning, then I have no recourse.

[ QUOTE ]
Nobody's saying we insist on The Unbearable Lightness of Being, Salo, or The Decameron here. Seems as if folks are just saying The Boondock Saints was goofy and stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, more obscure foreign films...we get it, you see lots of movies, are well rounded, etc.

As to the bold part I am quoting OP:

"Good lord, what dreck.

Awful, awful...awful."

And others:

"horrible movie"

"It's not that the movie was overrated, it was that it's TERRIBLE. It's horrible on every imaginable level"

"This movie is terrible, just [censored] terrible."

"one of the five worst movies I've ever seen."

[ QUOTE ]
In other words, no one would ever describe himself as "pensive." Would they?

[/ QUOTE ]
FFS
Uh...I can't answer that. But I have certainly described someone as being pensive, meaning they were deep in thought or PONDERING something. Would it help if originally I had said "There is a lot of 'I sit around pondering, and thinking deeper about movies than most' bull**** going on here"?

Meh, this will go nowhere. Some like it some don't.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Rush,

The difference between you and I on this matter (it seems) is that I don't think my liking BS qualifies it as a "good" movie. My statement that "BOONDOCK SAINTS IS A GOOD MOVIE" is closer to reality than "BS is garbage" based on it's entertainment value and on the fact that the majority of people who saw it, loved it. Whereas, your not liking it qualifies it as absolutely bad because you are a more "pensive" fellow and you watch foreign films.
[ QUOTE ]
Believe me, I know a little bit about movies, and I think I can say with some certainty that this film is pretty awful.

[/ QUOTE ]
There are plenty of movies that contain overacting, poor writing, etc. that are enjoyable because other elements carry them- or we simply tolerate it because we take the movie at face value.
[ QUOTE ]
Why would anyone say that there seems to be a contest to out-brood, outcontemplate, out-meditate, or out-ponder anyone here?

[/ QUOTE ]

I gave you the definition. If you have to extrapolate to make your point fine. If you still don't think in deep thought fits the "denotative" meaning, then I have no recourse.

[ QUOTE ]
Nobody's saying we insist on The Unbearable Lightness of Being, Salo, or The Decameron here. Seems as if folks are just saying The Boondock Saints was goofy and stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, more obscure foreign films...we get it, you see lots of movies, are well rounded, etc.

As to the bold part I am quoting OP:

"Good lord, what dreck.

Awful, awful...awful."

And others:

"horrible movie"

"It's not that the movie was overrated, it was that it's TERRIBLE. It's horrible on every imaginable level"

"This movie is terrible, just [censored] terrible."

"one of the five worst movies I've ever seen."

[ QUOTE ]
In other words, no one would ever describe himself as "pensive." Would they?

[/ QUOTE ]
FFS
Uh...I can't answer that. But I have certainly described someone as being pensive, meaning they were deep in thought or PONDERING something. Would it help if originally I had said "There is a lot of 'I sit around pondering, and thinking deeper about movies than most' bull**** going on here"?

Meh, this will go nowhere. Some like it some don't.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't say it's "going nowhere." You have some valid points.

When people speak in absolutes on a public message board, it really shouldn't come as too much of a shock. We all tend to dispense with qualifiers when the point of our post is an opinion. Clearly, we probably all ought to use IMHO's and IIRC's as often as possible, but when it comes to critiquing popular culture and entertainment, where's the fun in that?

As for the "pensive" question, I believe I am right to the degree that it is primarily used objectively, and just seemed like an odd adjective to ascribe to someone speaking subjectively.

The little list of foreign films was just a little flavor of hyperbole. I would hope that both of the principles engaged in this exchange would be able to discern the fact that the affectation necessary to make such a statement would be transparent, and, as such, be easily recognized as a device of argument and general language intended to disarm with its silliness.

The Boondock Saints sucked.
Old 07-05-2007, 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Boondock Saints sucked. IMHO

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

And FWIW, I am now going to have to track down and watch Salo. Thanks. Is it really on par with Unbearable Lightness...wait, don't answer that.

Also, Things To Do In Denver...c'mon! It was good!
Old 07-05-2007, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The Boondock Saints sucked. IMHO

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

And FWIW, I am now going to have to track down and watch Salo. Thanks. Is it really on par with Unbearable Lightness...wait, don't answer that.

Also, Things To Do In Denver...c'mon! It was good!

[/ QUOTE ]

Be forewarned: Salo was made by Pasolini, and was based on Sade's 120 days of Sodom (and transplanted to post-WWII Italy), so it's not like, uh, a date movie, or, well, ummm--a movie that folks really talk much about.

It is a masterpiece though, seriously. Profoundly frightening in its own way.

IMHO IIRC FWIW...TTDIDWYD sucked.