Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2007, 04:49 AM

Default Re: Incident in Jena,La.

[ QUOTE ]

I'm looking into that. I've pretty much given up, as I'm very tired. I've got like 3/4 of a page on MS Word CTRL+V'd. I'm going to delve deeper into the firearm situation. Being that these kids are obviously redneck kids, I'm looking to try to find out if this was a handgun brought into the school or some type of hunting rifle behind the seat of his vehicle. I usually hung out with the redneck crowd in high school, and I had a very close friend who got his truck searched and they found his hunting rifle behind the seat. He'd forgotten to remove it. He too, was given probation. If that's the situation, I'll personally be alot more lenient toward him than if I found out he snuck a 9mm GLOCK into the school in his backpack.

[/ QUOTE ]

Confirmation bias. Don't you see that you're looking for reasons to give the white kid the benefit of the doubt? Did you spend the same amount of time looking for reasons to excuse the actions of the black students? Is this not painfully obvious to everybody?

Anyway, I agree that everyone involved is culpable. From the white noose hanger(s) to the 'Jena 6' to the DA to Sharpton and Jackson. It's just a shame that we still have to deal with issues like this at all.
Old 09-21-2007, 04:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Are you saying that in the USA it is alright to have "whites only" trees or any areas?

I don't know how it can be made any clearer than that.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not particularly noble but anyone can designate their house a whites only area. It's a dumb thing to do but it's not illegal to be dumb, one thing that you personally should be pretty thankful for.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am sure that in the US like most other countries, you can let in your house whoever you wish.

I still believe, maybe wrongly, if so, please correct me, that apartheid is not condoned, or tolerated, but is actually unlawful, in the US in any government building an should not be implemented or tolerated in Jena's school either regardless of how many hicks pupils or staff, and hicks and rednecks is all they could be considered to be, wish it were so.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:10 AM

Question for everyone advocating that the charges are just......why wasn't the option of second degree battery given to the jury:

§34.1. Second degree battery

Second degree battery is a battery committed without the consent of the victim when the offender intentionally inflicts serious bodily injury.

For purposes of this article, serious bodily injury means bodily injury which involves unconsciousness, extreme physical pain or protracted and obvious disfigurement, or protracted loss or impairment of the function of a bodily member, organ, or mental faculty, or a substantial risk of death.

I'd even concede this to be a more fair charge against defendants, with the option of simple A&B as a lesser option.

(2nd deg Batt. carries a 5 year max, fwiw...)

BUT NOT EVEN this was offered to the jury.

The DA chose NOT to go this route, and instead argued sneakers were a "dangerous weapon" because the aggravation of a "deadly weapon" carries a 15 year max, only after initially charging attempted murder, which requires intent and carries a 30 year max.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Confirmation bias. Don't you see that you're looking for reasons to give the white kid the benefit of the doubt? Did you spend the same amount of time looking for reasons to excuse the actions of the black students? Is this not painfully obvious to everybody?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sadly, it is pretty obvious.

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, I agree that everyone involved is culpable. From the white noose hanger(s) to the 'Jena 6' to the DA to Sharpton and Jackson.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oddly enough, the student named by the one adult witness to the attack as the person who struck the blow that rendered the victim unconscious has not been charged, nor been held to any responsibility.

Funny how that works.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:29 AM

just saw the latest on the news. The "white only" tree in Jena has been cut down by the school authorities.

I guess it is one way to deal with this offensive form of racism. I simply think there are better ways. The hicks will simply find another tree like any dog would.

PS I still think that most posters are missing the fact that the causal chain in the OP, started with the white only tree, NOT the nooses (which was the third or four step).
Old 09-21-2007, 05:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
To clarify some of my opinions: Attempted murder is idiotic, it's pretty much a sure thing that the intent to kill wasn't there, and anyone saying the contrary really needs to rethink their position.

[/ QUOTE ]

For what it's worth, as reported by CNN this morning, the attempted murder charge was only dropped against 3 of the 6.

The other three still remained charged with attempted murder, and conspiracy to commit murder, and face a potential 100 years in prison each.

One of those three is Robert Bailey, who had initially been charged with robbery as a result of him disarming a white assailant who had pulled a shotgun on him.

According to witness testimony in the Bell case, no one saw Bailey strike Baker, and according to eyewitness accounts at the convenience store, no one saw Bailey strike the white assailant until after he had produced a firearm.

Yet, here he sits charged with attempted murder, conspiracy to commit murder, robbery, etc.

Bailey is also the victim that was assaulted at the fair barn, and alleged to have been struck by a white assailant with a beer bottle.

That white assailant was charged with simple assault, and recieved 6 months probation and served no time.

Yikes.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:55 AM

Default It\'s Very Simple Really

See the black kids had the right to assault a white kid after the nooses were put up in the tree. Putting nooses in trees is a felony while a vicous assault should go unpunished after this happens because the assault isn't a felony anymore. When white people are bigots that's a very bad thing and thus there can be no black bigotry ever because there are white bigots. Now that Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton have made their contributions to the situation it will become clear to everyone what the proper moral path is. Hope I cleared things up for ya.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:57 AM

the white assailant is totally irrelevant to this. the charges filed against the black kids should be based on what charges are typically filed for similar crimes around the country, not based on what the white kid was charged with.

the white kid perhaps should've been charged more harshly, but perhaps not, you're just arm-chair judging that he should've been because its convenient to your argument. Additionally, you are commonly minimizing everything you don't like ("five kids kicked him in the arms and legs for a short period of time before it was broken up.") and maximizing what you like, such as how the DA wasn't even going to charge the white kid for simple assault but at the emphasis of the black community grudgingly decided to file. you're not being objective in the slightest.

it seems to me as though attempted murder was way too much, and simple assault might be a little bit too weak. but if they're charged with attempted murder and go to trial for it, if its SO obvious they're innocent, they'll be found not guilty right quick don't you think.

lastly, i dunno where you're from, but where i'm from a white kid getting beaten up = assault, while a black kid getting beaten up = assault + hate crime, so its pretty much inherently impossible for a white vs. black crime to be punished less than a black vs. white crime, and i find it funny you think white people get away with these types of crimes while black people don't, because in my experience it has been exactly the opposite.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:18 AM

Default Re: It\'s Very Simple Really

adios,

You simply don't get it. It is unlawful to have a designated "white only" area in a public or institutional space.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:38 AM

Default Re: It\'s Very Simple Really

[ QUOTE ]
adios,

You simply don't get it. It is unlawful to have a designated "white only" area in a public or institutional space.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right I forgot about the local law that said it was white area only ... or maybe it was a state law ... or maybe a federal law... But you're right I didn't point out that since a bunch of white bigots said it was white only that makes it ok for the black kids to viciously attack a white kid and it's no longer a felony.