Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: a girl kept looking at me at class today. Do you think it is because:
She thinks Im hot 40 29.41%
She thinks Im wierd looking 48 35.29%
She is attracted to my odd nature in a non sexual way 48 35.29%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-26-2006, 04:07 PM

Default Re: Fences vs Walls

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I dont agree that the economics will be a wash. I think illegal immigration has far greater costs than benefits, and reducing it will have positive economic impact.

However, to your post, what "rights" would be violated by a fence/wall?

[/ QUOTE ]

As I understand it, his opinion is that being allowed to cross whatever border you like, whenever you like, for whatever reason you like, is a fundamental human right.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was afraid that was what he meant. <shaking head at the arrogance>
Old 09-26-2006, 04:16 PM

Default 98% of Speeders that kill Cops

98% of Speeders that kill Cops are from Texas.
We should build a wall around the State.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:21 PM

Default Re: 98% of Speeders that kill Cops

[ QUOTE ]
98% of Speeders that kill Cops are from Texas.
We should build a wall around the State.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should say roughly 98%. Because then clearly it is just your incredibly accurate estimate and not you quoting statistics.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:37 PM

Default Re: The $1 Billion Dollar - 700 Mile fence on the Mexican Border and m

[ QUOTE ]

dont like the law? get it changed.

Racist? typical inability to argue a position without baseless attacks. ...something this forum is not supposed to tolerate.

But to respond to your slur, my son is Latin American, and I am the last person who would be racist against them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wholeheartedly apologize for the aptly labeled "baseless attacks".

However, it is not in my power to change the law as I see voters swaying in a harsher direction towards "illegal immigrants" rather than a more tolerant one. I may only voice my opinion.

As a matter of fact, I don't necessarily dislike the status quo. Well, I do dislike it, but I believe it may be the best compromise while facing the conflicting schemas evident in todays populous. The problem is that people get caught up in the word "illegal" and don't really see the whole picture. They don't realize that there is a delicate balancing act going on. Latin American workers are tolerated as legal residents by the government/INS to the extent that they are able to get the job done but not let the confused ethnocentric masses get scared by actually granting resident or temporary worker status.

All I mean to demonstrate, though I completely failed to do so in my last post due to my rather juvenile efforts, is that using the term "illegal" anywhere in this debate is fruitless (hehe...appropriate term here) as the word has lost consistent meaning or application.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

dont like the law? get it changed.

Racist? typical inability to argue a position without baseless attacks. ...something this forum is not supposed to tolerate.

But to respond to your slur, my son is Latin American, and I am the last person who would be racist against them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wholeheartedly apologize for the aptly labeled "baseless attacks".

However, it is not in my power to change the law as I see voters swaying in a harsher direction towards "illegal immigrants" rather than a more tolerant one. I may only voice my opinion.

As a matter of fact, I don't necessarily dislike the status quo. Well, I do dislike it, but I believe it may be the best compromise while facing the conflicting schemas evident in todays populous. The problem is that people get caught up in the word "illegal" and don't really see the whole picture. They don't realize that there is a delicate balancing act going on. Latin American workers are tolerated as legal residents by the government/INS to the extent that they are able to get the job done but not let the confused ethnocentric masses get scared by actually granting resident or temporary worker status. <font color="red"> That the government is ineffective and even worse, intentionally ignoring the law doesnt change the law. If, as has been claimed many times, taking a pro-amnesty position is "political suicide" the legislator has two options...represent his constituency or vote with his conscience and face whatever repurcussions there are. </font>

All I mean to demonstrate, though I completely failed to do so in my last post due to my rather juvenile efforts, is that using the term "illegal" anywhere in this debate is fruitless (hehe...appropriate term here) as the word has lost consistent meaning or application.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="red"> "Illegal" cant be fruitless, since it is the center of the debate. Immigration laws were established for many reasons, must of which are still applicable, some moreso than others, some even more than ever. If those of us who believe the balance is still in favor of controlled immigration are in the minority then the laws can be changed. If we are in the majority then the laws should be enforced. </font>
Old 09-26-2006, 07:37 PM

Maybe it makes sense to explore an issue as complex and viared as this one before drawing a lot of specific conclusions.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe it makes sense to explore an issue as complex and viared as this one before drawing a lot of specific conclusions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you talking about the wall/fence or illegal immigration in general? If its the latter, its been explored in great depth.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you talking about the wall/fence or illegal immigration in general? If its the latter, its been explored in great depth.

[/ QUOTE ]

All of it. I saw some sessions on CNN from the house and senate (where they have experts that testify/are interviewed and found it interesting for the most part. I think further discussion is needed to come up with a common sense plan do deal with the people here and future immigration. Less 'arguing' and more information gathering and sharing.

I am not necessarilly intersted in discussing this in debth with you however as I think we have done that in other threads.

No consensus has been reached yet has it? I mean with respect to legislation and the various bills that had been proposed, or some compromise between them?
Old 09-26-2006, 08:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

All of it. I saw some sessions on CNN from the house and senate (where they have experts that testify/are interviewed and found it interesting for the most part. I think further discussion is needed to come up with a common sense plan do deal with the people here and future immigration. Less 'arguing' and more information gathering and sharing.

I am not necessarilly intersted in discussing this in debth with you however as I think we have done that in other threads.

No consensus has been reached yet has it? I mean with respect to legislation and the various bills that had been proposed, or some compromise between them?

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont expect any legislation on the general issues before the elections. The Democrats wont push it because lack of legislation reflects negatively on the Republicans, and the Republicans are too split on the issue for it to gain any traction.

I thought the wall/fence was a done deal...wasnt Boeing awarded a contract for the electronics for it?
Old 09-26-2006, 11:51 PM

Default Re: Fences vs Walls

[ QUOTE ]
Blacks = 38.9% of the US prison population. And blacks represent around......12.9% of the US population. This is implies blacks are 3x times more likely to committ crimes. Don't believe me.

[/ QUOTE ]
That conclusion cannot be made simply by those numbers.