Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 03:00 PM

Default Re: **Official uNL/SSNL Coaching Thread**

[ QUOTE ]
Why doesn't 2+2 management allow coaching advertisement?

[/ QUOTE ]

they want people to buy ads.
Old 10-12-2007, 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. Who was your coach?

[/ QUOTE ]

Isura

[ QUOTE ]
2. What did he charge?

[/ QUOTE ]

$100/hr

[ QUOTE ]
3. How many lessons did you receive?

[/ QUOTE ]

15+

[ QUOTE ]
4. How did the lessons work and what tools did your coach use? (skype, hh review, sweating, etc.)

[/ QUOTE ]

95% of the coaching occurred over skype.

Generally I would save hands from my session that gave me trouble and we would go over them. Isura would review go through each one and explain his thought process, and then I would explain why I did what I did. He would tell me what he would do and why what I did was or wasn’t very profitable

After that we would go into theory (my favorite part). Theory included anything from pre-flop raising ranges to what my goal was on each street etc.

[ QUOTE ]
5. Comment on your experience with this coach. (what you liked, didn't like)

[/ QUOTE ]

I liked how the coaching sessions were set up (hand review->theory). I also liked going over trouble hands that had stumped me throughout the week. The theory was very informative and I learned an insurmountable amount of information from Isura. Isura is a very intelligent human being and is very learned in poker.

One thing I did not like was how the theory sessions were set up. There was no real structure, we jumped around from pre-flop stuff to post-flop stuff then back to pre-flop stuff. I would of much rather had a structured theory session that followed the progression of the game (what you should do before you sit down, pre-flop, calling pre-flop. 3betting pre-flop etc then all the post flop stuff). Basically what I would of desired is a comprehensive coaching path.

One of the coolest and most eye opening things I did with Isura was to go over different strategy posts on 2p2. We'd go over thought processes etc and compare our thoughts on the hand. Then we would go over the responses and what people said...comedy hour ?

[ QUOTE ]
6. Would you recommend this coach to a fellow 2p2'er?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would definitely recommend this coach to a fellow 2p2’er
Old 10-12-2007, 06:35 PM

The only 2+2 coach i've worked with so far is Chaostracize who was decent and helped me fix a few leaks in my game. I think he was $100/hour.

GL.
Old 10-13-2007, 05:00 AM

I sweated a Krantz lesson.. wow.. just wow, hes [censored] AWSOME.
Old 10-13-2007, 05:28 AM

MDMA (400/hr) lives up to the hype and then some. and contrary to what people may think from reading his posts, hes actually a really cool guy and had been very patient in dealing with my many leaks [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] definitely has been worth it for me so far. he has pretty much revolutionised my whole poker game.

also, i havent been coached by Seabeast but hes a friend of mine. he is an awesome poker mind and i built my online game off the little snippets of information and advice he gave me last year. i cant say for sure but i am pretty sure that 200/hr is a total steal for his services. i do know someone who has had a few sessions with him and has said hes been awesome so far.

imo after reading this thread there are a lot of people coaching who really arent qualified for it. i would def recommend trying to get opinions of at least a few past students before going with a coach.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:40 PM

this thread is awesome, any more feedback??
Old 10-14-2007, 01:34 AM

i think this is a good idea for a thread and would actually love to see one started in msnl as well.

i actually am curious as to honest reviews - i know for the most part people have good things to say but i am constantly trying to improve as a coach. i feel like every bit i improve as a player helps me as a coach but some specific things about coaching you can't get from just playing.

two pieces of advice coming from a coach to students out there that i think are helpful - first, help your coaches be better coaches! coaching, just like poker, is a learned skill. it's hard to master. we can use the help sometimes! just today i had a lesson with tufat where he gave me really good constructive criticism (that i sometimes talk very fast and it's hard to focus on playing and listening to all the theory i'm spouting off very quickly). students should not be afraid to say things like that to their coaches - tell me what is working for you and what isn't. do you prefer hh review, sweating, something else entirely? for me this is so so helpful. and you're paying a ton of money. it's YOUR time. make the most of it.

second, take advantage of the out of lesson time your coach offers you. i tell my students time and time again, but every person who does take the time to IM me hand histories outside of lessons and chat with me for 5 minutes a day or something winds up getting much much better - just those 5 minutes keeps that student thinking about what we talk about and making much more dramatic improvements to his game.
Old 10-14-2007, 01:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
second, take advantage of the out of lesson time your coach offers you. i tell my students time and time again, but every person who does take the time to IM me hand histories outside of lessons and chat with me for 5 minutes a day or something winds up getting much much better - just those 5 minutes keeps that student thinking about what we talk about and making much more dramatic improvements to his game.

[/ QUOTE ]

i tell my students this all the time, but i'd say only about 30% of my guys actually take advantage of emailing me hands and questions between lessons.

DONT BE LAZY, WE OFFER IT FOR FREE!
Old 10-15-2007, 12:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
1. Who was your coach?

[/ QUOTE ]

Pasterbator Roy Eagles Carrotsnake

[ QUOTE ]
2. What did he charge?

[/ QUOTE ]

independent,60$ hour,100$ hour

[ QUOTE ]
3. How many lessons did you receive?

[/ QUOTE ]

a bunch from roy and pasterbator, 3 from eagels, one from carrotsnake

[ QUOTE ]
4. How did the lessons work and what tools did your coach use? (skype, hh review, sweating, etc.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Skype HH review, it kinda wwhatever

[ QUOTE ]
5. Comment on your experience with this coach. (what you liked, didn't like)

[/ QUOTE ]

I liked them all, and they were all cool and eagles and roy have cool accents.

[ QUOTE ]
6. Would you recommend this coach to a fellow 2p2'er?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes these coaches are all very good
Old 10-15-2007, 01:48 PM

hey guys. On my flight to CA yesterday I did some thinking. (and reading, read "Blink, the power to think without thinking", which I highly recommend) and I had an idea for coaching. Figured I'd ask it here, since, well, I'll let you guys decide.

I was thinking about introducing a new program for my coaching. Currently I coach online using either skype or aim (sometimes both) and caution the client against doing more then ~2 a week, since it's important to absorb (and put theory into practice) the lecture material.

Would there be any interest in say a "3-day workshop," where you fly to Boston, stay with me (i'm trying to write this in the least gay way possible) for 3days/2nights, where I squeeze my entire program (14hrs of coaching), plus offer a few more things? (I have a ton of ideas of how certain non poker related games and strategies help poker... ie. Minesweeper, Chess, and certain books) Figured that would enable me to live sweat as well, answer all Qs THERE, and in general just be "the best possible coach". I figured I'd include a few things, like a copy of my book etc. so that the client would have that upon leaving (to refer to just in case)

Thoughts?
Closed Thread