Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2006, 02:05 PM

Default Re: \"Official\" WSOP ME Broadcast on ESPN thread (8/29) (Day 1D+2?)

newsflash: DN CANT FOLD A RIVER
Old 08-30-2006, 02:07 PM

Default Re: \"Official\" WSOP ME Broadcast on ESPN thread (8/29) (Day 1D+2)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is anyone else getting a little tired of DN berating the amateurs? I think he came off as a prick in the hand with the Australian guy. Seemed like he was just pissed that the guy had him beat and so he started to make fun of him. Also, the constant declarations of what the other player had, whether accurate or not, gets old after a while and he just comes off as a know-it-all. It's like he's constantly trying to prove his superior status just because he is Daniel Negraneu and everybody else at the table is just Internet nobodies.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're dead wrong on this. My take is that every comment he makes has a purpose. While he's talking, he's checking for reactions (tells) to help him play the hand. And he's obviously very good at it as his reads are impeccable.

I was disappointed he went against his read when he had A5 vs AQ with the 589TT board and the Norwegian guy checked the Turn and went all-in on the River. He knew exactly what the guy was doing but for some reason couldn't pull the trigger on the call.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you are both right. Talking opponents into/out of hands and extracting information is part of Poker and DN is one of the best at it. At the same time his talk is full of ego and condensation. By its nature its a fairly slimy way to take advantage of lesser players.

So it's constantly amazing how the amateurs play along with his game (as they did with Hachem).
Old 08-30-2006, 03:24 PM

Anyone else find it kind of embarrassing to watch Joe Hachem lording it over the table, trying to imtimidate people? I think I catch of glimpse of what winning the ME can do to one's ego.
Old 08-30-2006, 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Reyes wants to [censored] Lewis so hard hahahaha.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yuck.
Old 08-30-2006, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you are both right. Talking opponents into/out of hands and extracting information is part of Poker and DN is one of the best at it. At the same time his talk is full of ego and <font color="red">condensation </font> . By its nature its a fairly slimy way to take advantage of lesser players.

[/ QUOTE ]

I usually don't make fun of grammar on these boards, but this was too good to pass up.

Are you implying that DN spits on the other players?
Old 08-30-2006, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is anyone else getting a little tired of DN berating the amateurs? I think he came off as a prick in the hand with the Australian guy. Seemed like he was just pissed that the guy had him beat and so he started to make fun of him. Also, the constant declarations of what the other player had, whether accurate or not, gets old after a while and he just comes off as a know-it-all. It's like he's constantly trying to prove his superior status just because he is Daniel Negraneu and everybody else at the table is just Internet nobodies.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're dead wrong on this. My take is that every comment he makes has a purpose. While he's talking, he's checking for reactions (tells) to help him play the hand. And he's obviously very good at it as his reads are impeccable.

I was disappointed he went against his read when he had A5 vs AQ with the 589TT board and the Norwegian guy checked the Turn and went all-in on the River. He knew exactly what the guy was doing but for some reason couldn't pull the trigger on the call.

[/ QUOTE ]

it was fairly obvious that in this spot the guy either has nothing or a monster, and daniel covers his bases to look good on camera by saying that before folding. i think having bottom pair might've had something to do with not snapping off an all in bluff.
Old 08-30-2006, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I never paid much attention, until recently, but Lon does a fairly good job of being a sidekick as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, Lon's not awful, he's like the Pat Summerall of poker. It would be nice if he'd learn a bit about the game, but whatever.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:35 PM

I like when Phil Gordon did his impression of Ivey - *begins to rake in a pile of chips*
Old 08-30-2006, 08:38 PM

Did anybody else not like how Hachem played his Quads?

Sorry don't have exact bet amounts. PF Hachem raises, CO calls, BB calls.

Flop (3 players) 9 2 2 checked around
Turn 9 2 2 2:BB bets somewhere between 60-80% of pot, Hachem flat calls, CO folds.
River was a brick, BB leads for 8,000 into a 10-15k pot. Hachem mini-raises to 16k.

BB's range seems to be; air, an ace, a 9 or an overpair. If he has air he's folding to the mini-raise, a 9 or an overpair BB may have trouble folding to any bet. The only hand BB can have that might call the mini-raise and no more is Ace high, and he may still be able to find a fold their. It's unknown how deep BB was (We know Hachem had him covered), but I think Hachem really left a lot of chips on the table on this hand.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Did anybody else not like how Hachem played his Quads?

Sorry don't have exact bet amounts. PF Hachem raises, CO calls, BB calls.

Flop (3 players) 9 2 2 checked around
Turn 9 2 2 2:BB bets somewhere between 60-80% of pot, Hachem flat calls, CO folds.
River was a brick, BB leads for 8,000 into a 10-15k pot. Hachem mini-raises to 16k.

BB's range seems to be; air, an ace, a 9 or an overpair. If he has air he's folding to the mini-raise, a 9 or an overpair BB may have trouble folding to any bet. The only hand BB can have that might call the mini-raise and no more is Ace high, and he may still be able to find a fold their. It's unknown how deep BB was (We know Hachem had him covered), but I think Hachem really left a lot of chips on the table on this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

My guess is the reason he did that was because it was the last hand of the day and he knew that the guy was either going to pay him off big or not put any more money in the pot. His overbet was meant to get the other guy to think Hachem really had nothing so maybe this guy could double up and have lots of chips to start day 2. Think of it as a 2nd or 3rd level play.