Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2007, 11:58 PM

Default Re: Famous urban legends

[ QUOTE ]
I had a conversation with a friend of mine about this post and he shared this urban legend with me.

A family goes away on vacation and when they get home they find their house broken into. Things are taken things are broken. Someone has vandalized their home.

A week later the family finds a tape in the vcr. The vandals recorded themselves performing file acts with the family's tooth brush, and cosmetic devices.

Has anyone ever heard that one?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya, i heard that one, toothbrush up the ass, or whatever.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
just edited your post a bit if thats ok, it was longggg.

my fav. is the common misbelief that water in the southern hemisphere spirals down the drain the opposite direction than in the north.

http://www.snopes.com/science/coriolis.asp

definitely a 'wtf' moment when you realise you were sold a complete lie as a little kid.

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing that amazes me is how many people believe the water down the drain thing because a teacher, parent or other authority feature told them so when simple observation is all that is necessary to debunk it. Watch the water going down a drain a few times. You will see that it sometimes rotates clockwise, sometimes counterclockwise, regardless of which hemisphere you are in.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You can notify police if you are being robbed at an ATM by putting your PIN in backwards order.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess if your PIN is something like 4224 you're SOL.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:54 AM

or 6969

Hahahah
Old 08-03-2007, 12:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
or 6969

Hahahah

[/ QUOTE ]

no...not really.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The thing that amazes me is how many people believe the water down the drain thing because a teacher, parent or other authority feature told them so when simple observation is all that is necessary to debunk it. Watch the water going down a drain a few times. You will see that it sometimes rotates clockwise, sometimes counterclockwise, regardless of which hemisphere you are in.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believed it because I watched the water flush down my toilet 6 times in a row after I heard it, and it always went the same way. It's not random - it has to do with the design of the toilet (I suppose with some designs it might be random or almost random.)
Old 08-04-2007, 09:42 AM

I had to look this one up today, which I was recently told.
Guy has 25k worth of cigars and files a claim with the insurance company because the cigars burnt.
He wins the claim
Cigar company gets him tried criminally for arson and he spends a year in jail.

http://www.snopes.com/crime/clever/cigarson.asp
Old 08-05-2007, 02:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I believed it because I watched the water flush down my toilet 6 times in a row after I heard it, and it always went the same way. It's not random - it has to do with the design of the toilet (I suppose with some designs it might be random or almost random.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I believed this one as a kid not because of the toilet, I could see they were designed to flush in a certain direction, but because of the bathtub. It always spun out in a clockwise direction. When I spun the water in the opposite direction, it reversed itself and insisted on spinning out in a clockwise direction. Never occurred to me to try it on other drains, I figured one was proof.
Old 08-05-2007, 03:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
As a kid I was really scared by the typical ones like "some people put razor blades in Halloween candy" and "drug dealers give kids stickers soaked in LSD/PCP/etc. to get them hooked." I realize those actually did probably happen in an isolated instance or two, but we were made to believe they were very widespread phenomena.

[/ QUOTE ]

How the [censored] is a kid gonna know where to go once he's hooked on a drug? For that matter, how does he know he's hooked on a drug?

[/ QUOTE ]

The most obvious reason its a myth is that LSD is not addictive.

My favorite LSD related myth is the one about the kid who has a sheet in his pocket and is outside in the rain and the acid soaks through his pocket and into his leg. He believes he is a cup of orange juice and when you come near him he tells you not to tip him over. In my teenage years I had at least three separate people from different locales tell me that story one swore they were at the party when it happened.
Old 08-05-2007, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
just edited your post a bit if thats ok, it was longggg.

my fav. is the common misbelief that water in the southern hemisphere spirals down the drain the opposite direction than in the north.

http://www.snopes.com/science/coriolis.asp

definitely a 'wtf' moment when you realise you were sold a complete lie as a little kid.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, my gf went to Australia, and she swears its true

now i'm confused