Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2007, 02:06 AM

Default Re: Overrated bands/musicians

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
As for a musician I think is over-rated..I give you Kurt Cobain!

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously??? This guy started an entire genre (alternative rock)

[/ QUOTE ]

Um...not exactly.

He helped influence it, but he certainly didn't 'start' it.

That said, he was a great songwriter.

b

[/ QUOTE ]
Meh I'd say his song writing skills were mediocre at best.

What he is most over-rated for though is his skill on guitar. On Rolling Stones list of 100 greatest guitarist he was ranked ~13th. That is simply ridiculous, there is no way any of his musical work on guitar can stand up to anyone else considered to be a great guitarist. His riffs and solos with Nirvana were unbelievably simple, and IMO quite boring and mundane.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cobain wasnt even the best musician in his band.... Grohl was.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hmm...no one is overrated...well, let me jump right into the fire...

The Dead--most ardent fans in the free world. Definite long-term touring success. But broad appeal? Not sure. They don't work for me... I'll say they are somewhat overrated. Shouldn't a popular band have some presence on best selling lists somewhere??

[/ QUOTE ]

So money grossing/best selling concerts.... I remember when Garcia was still alive and the Dead were still touring, weren't they on the Forbes top 10 money grossing musicians lists for a loooooong time? I think they were even the #1 band until the Eagles and RS decided to take the old asses back on tour. I'm not mentioning the fact that one specific Jam Band who is still tourning (Phish isin't anymore) and still rakin' in the money was ranked 9th overall on Forbes money makers list in 2005 (musicians, obv).

I believe the definition of "over-rated" by the peeps here in 2+2 is whatever band/musician they don't like. If that's the case, can someone please explain Jack White to me... Thanks in advance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since when does commercial success equate itself with talent? The music industry these days is as much (if not more) about marketing than talent. Just because a band didn't break into the Billboard charts doesn't mean they weren't talented. In fact, I think a argument can be made (albeit an extremely general one) that the opposite applies.

I think of Zappa who, imo, was one of the most talented and creative artists of the last 50 years. He never achieved commercial success and I think at times he may have aspired to avoid it at all costs. He said in later years that Valley Girl (which I believe was his only charted song) was the biggest regret of his career.

Like Glo said - the Dead were able to break the Forbes list for many years despite their lack of mainstream commercial success. If that doesn't point to their depth of talent at the very least, I don't know what does.

/end fanboy rant

[/ QUOTE ]

If it's talent that we judge bands by, then I guess the only people who aren't over rated are the jazz musicians.

Really, I've got a lot of respect for the musicians who's playing/lyrics ring true for so many people. Don't get me wrong, I respect the jazz players too.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think of Zappa who, imo, was one of the most talented and creative artists of the last 50 years. He never achieved commercial success and I think at times he may have aspired to avoid it at all costs. He said in later years that Valley Girl (which I believe was his only charted song) was the biggest regret of his career.

Like Glo said - the Dead were able to break the Forbes list for many years despite their lack of mainstream commercial success. If that doesn't point to their depth of talent at the very least, I don't know what does.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just saw Zappa Plays Zappa and Bob Weir & Ratdog at 10klf. If anything these guys are underrated.

[/ QUOTE ]

How was the ZPZ show? I'm going next week and I'm never been so psyched for a show in my life. Please tell me it was as good as I'm anticpating...

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, it was incredible. Rocked my face off. I saw it immediately after seeing Particle and they just kept the party going.