Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: A player is cheated when he isn't given more time after exposing his live hand to the table to show
Yes 0 0%
No 47 100.00%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-10-2007, 02:31 PM

Default Re: Thoughts on Changing my Name?

One thing I have found is that how you say something is more important than what you say. I bet there are a lot of people who share your name that don't have these problems because they don't have the apprehension that you have. Other people can probably pick up on your apprehension and it might lead them to be uncomfortable or make dumb comments about your name.

I think changing your name is fine if that is what you really want. It will probably be a little awkward at first, but people will get used to it. The other option is just to practice introducing yourself to people and lose the self-consciousness about your name.

If you introduce yourself to someone and they ask you to repeat the name, just say it quickly and then change the topic as quickly as possible. Don't dwell on it. If they can't understand your name, it is their problem - not yours. If you act like your name being a little different is a big deal to you, they will see it as a big deal. If you act like your name is not a big deal, they will see it the same way.

I think you could actually turn your name to your advantage in these situations.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:35 PM

With all due respect to your experiences, Ariel is not that odd of a name (especially if you're in an area with even a reasonable Jewish population). Going by Ari is an easy way to get around the AIR-ee-ull problem as well.

Reading your OP, my impression is that you have some other issues that you don't want to face, and are projecting those problems onto your name. Who cares how a hostess at a restaurant writes your name? Most people aren't bothered by that type of thing. You are obviously fully entitled to rename yourself anything you want, but before you make a drastic change that you might regret, you should consider whether or not that's really the problem you need to correct.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:36 PM

Tomer
Old 05-10-2007, 02:48 PM

your name is awesome. keep it.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:53 PM

i'm sure all the johns(me) and mikes, daves, etc. of the world wish they had a more unique name. just keep it and introduce yourself as "rel" or "ari" if you want.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Reading your OP, my impression is that you have some other issues that you don't want to face, and are projecting those problems onto your name.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't understand all this pseudo-psychiatry nonsense. It's not like my life sucks and I'm blaming it on my name: I'm actually a well-adjusted and social guy, I just happen to not like my name. When I introduce myself and people don't get it I don't think "Oh god, i'm now thought of as a weirdo outcast! My life sucks!" I just think "well this is annoying, here we go again" I think trying to draw broad psychological implications from the fact that somebody doesn't like his/her name is really a sign of somebody trying to come off as smart/deep
Old 05-10-2007, 03:12 PM

I already said this, but definitely keep your name. It is unique and personally I think it is pretty awesome.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:19 PM

Dunno if anyone mentioned this, but I still don't get it...it actually seems like a benefit for people to trip on your name, as it causes them to spend an extra few seconds getting introduced and leaves a more lasting impression. Unique names are good. Keep your name, lock the thread.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So basically I hate my name. My name is Ariel.

[/ QUOTE ]

crazy. i think Ariel is one of the coolest names ever. Always wanted to name my kid that.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:24 PM

Shaniac --

The preponderance of these sorts of replies is a bit confusing. If uniqueness is good, he can change his name to something unique. What he's saying is that his name is a constant pain in the ass. Whether or not the "extra few seconds getting introduced" are worth it is something he's far more qualified to judge.

--Nate