Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2006, 10:15 AM

Default Re: ***Official 2006 NLCS Cards v. Mets Thread***

[ QUOTE ]
The first pitch was a fastball. Over the heart of the plate. Not sure what you saw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless Wainwright suddenly lost 10+ mph on his fastball it wasn't a fastball. It was either a changeup or that cutter like pitch that he threw to Lo Duca for strike one.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:37 AM

Ok, I'm objective enough now actually to read this again.

As a Mets fan, here is my perspective. First, this game was great, exactly what you hope for in a game 7. Losing the series is much less painful just for having had the fun of watching the game. Also, a couple of Mets in the game were nothing short of heroic. The catch will remain amazing, even if less memorable for coming in a loss. And Perez was good enough to make us hopeful for next year. One great moment was when Willie left him in to face Pujols and Perez came through.

I'm not even particularly upset about the way the game ended. It's easy for spectators to say Beltran had to swing. But be fair: that pitch was incredibly wicked. He may well have missed it anyway. And he certainly wasn't going to hit it well. Yes, he was fooled, but sometimes you have to give the pitcher credit.

As far as I'm concerned, the game really was lost earlier when the Mets had a guy on third and couldn't score.

And about the season overall: I'm disappointed, but not that much. This team went from something like 83 wins to 97. No one expected so much at the start of the year. More importantly, there is very good reason to expect next year will be great. They have a few holes, but Omar will fill them. They have a ton of young talent and they will learn from this experience.

In fact, I can't help feeling that the Cards benefited somewhat from experience. They played better in the clutch. And I will actually be rooting for them against Detroit.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:41 AM

From stlcardinals.com

Wainwright then walked Paul Lo Duca, loading the bases. Now it was none other than Beltran, who had hit an unfathomable seven homers against the Cardinals over two NLCS, the first one in 2004 with Houston.

"If he throws him a fastball there, I'd kill him," Hanser said of Wainwright.

He first threw a changeup for a called strike , then a curve middle-in which was fouled off for an 0-2 count. Then came another curve on the outside corner. The Cardinals win the pennant.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:08 AM

Ok, here we go....10 hours after walking out of Shea:

Wynton expressed many of the same sentiments I have.

It was a terribly, terribly disappointing loss. From the atmosphere in Penn Station pregame, to the chatter on the train, to the chants on the platform going up the stairs, to the energy of the crowd in the first inning, there were 56,000 of us there who were pretty much ready to party and not thinking about the possibility of losing this game.

And then by the 4th or 5th you realized, in the words of the late great Bob Murphy, that we better fasten our seatbelts.

I've never heard Shea as loud as I did as for Chavez's catch and the ensuing half-dozen replays during the commercial break. At that point we all figured it was our destiny...

I won't go through specifics of the game, other to say that I'm glad there is no move that stands out as a glaring second-guess. Sure you can talk about bunting the guys over in the 9th, or pulling Perez earlier, or not going to Heilman for a 2nd inning, or putting up someone other than Cliffy, but I think all were fine and justifiable moves.

I'm also glad that this was a series that was going to be TAKEN by one of the teams, not given. The winner was going to clearly deserve it, and that proved true, right down to the final inning, the final batter, the final strike.

As a Mets fan, I'm immensely proud and happy with our year. Like Wynton said, 97 wins and tearing through the league was not expected this year, and when you look back at who we had pitching all year, it was really an incredible feat. And when Pedro and Duque went down, Maine and Oliver stepped up big time, which was great to see, and hopefully a great sign for the future. The offense let us down, but such is life. We have a great core of players, a mix of both young guys and win-now guys, and I fully expect Omar to successfully retool for another strong run in '07.

It was great to share in this series with such a group of passionate fans -- on both sides -- in this thread.

Congrats to the Cardinals. A very well-earned victory. Let's do it again next year.

(I'm sure I missed touching on a lot of things. My head is still spinning and I'm still in a post-game stooper.)
Old 10-20-2006, 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He first threw a changeup for a called strike , then a curve middle-in which was fouled off for an 0-2 count. Then came another curve on the outside corner. The Cardinals win the pennant.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK thanks. I was wrong. My apologies.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:28 PM

I love not reading these threads until the next morning. It was great to read up to the Endy catch, and people's reactions were great.

When Floyd came to bat in the 9th last night, I remembered a few people had predicted a Kirk Gibson moment, and knew there would be some serious post bumping if he came through. Didn't happen though. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I haven't been posting much in the Cardinals threads this year, but I'm pretty pumped up for the Series.

Wish we'd see one post from Clarkmeister though, for old time's sake.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

When Floyd came to bat in the 9th last night, I remembered a few people had predicted a Kirk Gibson moment, and knew there would be some serious post bumping if he came through. Didn't happen though.

[/ QUOTE ]

God...I felt it coming too. I wish I hadn't said it before the game. Damn you Clifford...
Old 10-20-2006, 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

When Floyd came to bat in the 9th last night, I remembered a few people had predicted a Kirk Gibson moment, and knew there would be some serious post bumping if he came through. Didn't happen though.

[/ QUOTE ]

God...I felt it coming too. I wish I hadn't said it before the game. Damn you Clifford...

[/ QUOTE ]

I was one of those who had visions of it last night. I was going bonkers when he came up. I honestly thought he had that one more moment left in him.

I posted earlier today on a Mets board that while I've felt the Upper Deck at Shea shake up and down from time to time and thought of it as awesome (as it was after the Endy catch), when Cliffy got up, the way the crowd was, I was honestly having nutty thoughts about the stadium collapsing if he went yard.
Old 10-20-2006, 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I honestly thought he had that one more moment left in him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Speaking of that, I figure the Mets will not resign him. Especially with Milledge waiting, that is of course if Lastings isn't traded in off season and Endy becomes the starter in Left. What I'm getting at is, is Floyd's career over? It's been painful the past, what, 4 years(?) watching him. He's great at time then he disappears due to injury. It just looks like his tank his empty at this point.
Old 10-20-2006, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I won't second guess it, cause i was kinda hoping for a kirk gibson moment .... but floyd should not have been up there .... anderson hernandz, or better yet Tommy Glavine should have been up there to bunt. Then if sac is successful, do they walk Reyes??? Dunno

I did think it at the time, but the moment was set for a Gibson moment .... so I wont kill Willie for it