50001-75000 7 10.61%
75001-100000 5 7.58%
100000-150000 7 10.61%
>150000 12 18.18%
dont care /resutls please 17 25.76%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-26-2007, 01:13 AM

Default Re: *official 2007 red sox thread*

yeah it's a good contract. it's also pretty unfair to wakefield.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:17 AM

sox will renew, but they will probably stop letting wakefield have belli as his personal caddy, and he has said he would strongly consider packing it in if they dumped dougie. which may just be a load of [censored], but who knows?

i think schilling will be gone next year anyway, he looks cooked to me. he should sign with the cubs so he can pitch to chris duffy 19 games a year. or go back to AZ and sit on his front porch with old man randy.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:22 AM

dont really see the point of buerhle long-term unless schilling is toast. schilling for 1/13 >>>>>>>>>> buerhle for 5/75

buchholz should start next year in the rotation. hes probably the best pitcher in the minors, theres not much point in having him embarrass the international league next year. and then wakefield/lester/tavarez can fill the 5/6/7 slots capably

the only way i see them getting buerhle is if they trade some of their pitching for a lowell replacement. lester and buchholz for miguel cabrera gogogogo
Old 06-26-2007, 01:24 AM

lester and buchholz for miggyc lolololol that is just ludicrous
Old 06-26-2007, 01:34 AM

buerhle is going to be better than schilling next year, is only 28 and has no history of being hurt. schilling is old, overweight, starting to get hurt every year, and has about a 4 MPH difference between his fastball and his off-speed stuff. sounds like a recipe for success in the best hitting division in baseball.

i wouldn't sign schilling next year for any deal that schilling would actually accept - someone in the NL will still give him 10-12 million even if he misses the rest of this year.

chilllll about buchholz. he's doing great in AA, i'd like to see him get up to pawtucket this year. his K/9 and K:BB right now are just ridiculous. but this is only his second full season of pro ball, and he's never had more than 100 IP in a season. keep in mind this kid played outfield in college, he has a very short career as a pitcher. i don't want to hansenize him by calling him up too soon or anything.

i would love to see miggy in a sox uniform but i am not all that optimistic about the possibility. lester and buch wouldn't come close to getting it done.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:36 AM

In other possible trades, what about Lowell? I know there were rumors about somehow moving Lowell and getting Texeria(sp?). Doesn't BOS almost 'have' to move him? His value is real high right now, I would assume, and I don't think BOS would sign him to a contract that he would want.

craig
Old 06-26-2007, 01:40 AM

i'd love for the sox to move lowell before he does his annual post-ASB nick punto impression. boston could resign him, but they'd be better off getting a decent 1B and moving youks back to 3rd. love to see 'em get texeira but i doubt lowell is a serious part of the package for texas.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
buerhle is going to be better than schilling next year, is only 28 and has no history of being hurt. schilling is old, overweight, starting to get hurt every year, and has about a 4 MPH difference between his fastball and his off-speed stuff. sounds like a recipe for success in the best hitting division in baseball.

[/ QUOTE ]

buerhle's going to have an ERA north of 4 if he pitches for the sox next year. there is just no way that signing him for 5/75 is better than schilling for 1/13, even if schilling is going to give u a 4.75 ERA. if schilling misses the rest of the year or comes back and looks terrible then things change
Old 06-26-2007, 02:00 AM

and nt its ok to be excited about buchholz. hes the best pitching prospect the sox have had since clemens. he's a clear step ahead of papelbon or lester or rose or whoever were at the same stage
Old 06-26-2007, 02:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

buerhle's going to have an ERA north of 4 if he pitches for the sox next year. there is just no way that signing him for 5/75 is better than schilling for 1/13, even if schilling is going to give u a 4.75 ERA. if schilling misses the rest of the year or comes back and looks terrible then things change

[/ QUOTE ]

it's entirely possible that buerhle at 5/75 in boston isn't that great a deal for them, but it's still better than signing schilling. i'd be shocked if schilling pitches 150 innings of sub-5.00 ERA ball in boston next year. i would bet heavily against it, in fact.

even if buerhle puts up a mid-4s ERA, so long as he stays healthy he's no worse than an expensive 4 or 5 guy. is it your money they're spending? nope.

fenway has a similar park factor to US cellular - slightly favoring hitters, but not so much as everyone seems to think. coming to the AL East from the toughest division in baseball wouldn't be as bad as you seem to think. do you think the blue jays and yankees are tougher than the indians and tigers right now?