Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2007, 12:29 AM

Default Re: Tough Questions about Christianity

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

This is why I prefer both sides stop the first cause debate and move on to other things, like the existence of evil.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not only was I not making a first cause argument but what I said leads to the question of evil(morality), meaning, logic, science, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I have to admit my imagination is dwarfed by that of people who fantasize that everything popped up out of nothing for no reason and continue to dream that science, logic and morality can still be made intelligible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe first cause was not your point, but the tone of this post was that this fantasy is a laughable one. At any rate, I don't see how a belief in the Universe "popping out of nothing" has any effect on making "sense" of science, logic, and morality.
Old 03-03-2007, 04:06 AM

Default Baby-killin\' sadist

How can it be a sin to do exactly the same thing God also does ?

Why is it a sin for me to "kill" a million unborn babies by using a condom but it's not a sin for God to have born babies killed off by one cause or the other?

Let's concentrate on fatherless and motherless babies, please, so as not to bring into the equation the "pain on the immediate family" which is "God's way of testing out faith".

Mickey Brausch
Old 03-03-2007, 04:16 AM

Default Re: Baby-killin\' sadist

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Without addressing the condoms kill babies issue, it should be obvious. You can kill someone in self defense or as a contract killer - one is guilt free, the other can get you fried. Think motive. Toss in authority.
Old 03-03-2007, 06:45 AM

Default The fine print in Judas\' contract

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]It should be obvious. You can kill someone in self defense or as a contract killer - one is guilt free, the other can get you fried. Think motive. Toss in authority.

[/ QUOTE ]Well, God pushes buses off the cliff almost every day! He might be doing this to "test our faith" (as far as the relatives and the rest of the faithful are concerned), so I'm preclued from replicating that feat. I can live with this.

But how about throwing off the cliff a fatherless, motherless child? Would that be wrong strictly because I have no reason to (aside from getting pleasure in killing)? Well, if intent is the criterion, how come we are left to wonder what the criterion for God is, when he throws such babies off the cliff? How are we to do God's work when He don't tell us His intent?

I mean, how come we get to do only God's boring work? Why we don't get to collapse a staircase or two?

And another thing : Since it's omniscient and omnipotent God's work even when I pump six bullets in a kid's brain (I'm a drug dealer; it's a tough business), how come I get the short stick and God comes off looking alright from the crime scene? How come the actors and the instruments of God's work are to be punished for it?

Mickey Brausch
Old 03-03-2007, 11:43 AM

Default Re: The fine print in Judas\' contract

[ QUOTE ]

How come the actors and the instruments of God's work are to be punished for it?

[/ QUOTE ]

First, you said intent but I said motive. Intent matters but in a different way than motive. Motive is the most important factor. Motive is emphasized throughout Scripture, often by referencng the heart - all sin proceeds from the heart.

Since God's heart is pure, He can't sin. Since fallen man's heart is corrupt, he can't not sin.
Old 03-04-2007, 05:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

How come the actors and the instruments of God's work are to be punished for it?

[/ QUOTE ]

You said intent but I said motive. Intent matters but in a different way than motive. Motive is the most important factor. Motive is emphasized throughout Scripture, often by referencng the heart - all sin proceeds from the heart.

[/ QUOTE ] You are not answering the question.

[ QUOTE ]
Since God's heart is pure, He can't sin. Since fallen man's heart is corrupt, he can't not sin.

[/ QUOTE ]You are not answering the question.

If Man has been created by God to be uanble not to sin, and if Man's motives and intent have also been placed in this world by God Almighty, then why is Man, as an actor and instrument of God's work, punished for it?
Old 03-04-2007, 06:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]

You are not answering the question.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I am.

[ QUOTE ]

You are not answering the question.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I am.

[ QUOTE ]

If Man has been created by God to be uanble not to sin

[/ QUOTE ]

God created man able to sin or not sin.

[ QUOTE ]

if Man's motives and intent have also been placed in this world by God Almighty,

[/ QUOTE ]

The Bible says that God created man upright.

Man corrupted his own heart.
Old 03-04-2007, 06:33 AM

Default No cable in Heaven

[ QUOTE ]

The Bible says that God created man upright.

Man corrupted his own heart.

[/ QUOTE ]But why would God create a corruptible Man?

If you are correct that God could just as easily have created a sinless and enlightened Man, why would He create Man imperfect, instead? To watch the agonies of Man, as he strives to get away from sin and imperfection?

I have already offered the explanation of Supreme Sadist for such a state of affairs. But you could be right; this could be a case of Supreme Boredom.

Mickey Brausch
Old 03-04-2007, 02:41 PM

Default Re: No cable in Heaven

[ QUOTE ]

But why would God create a corruptible Man?

[/ QUOTE ]

He wanted something more than robots?
Old 03-05-2007, 12:57 AM

Default Re: Tough Questions about Christianity

Slavery is accepted in the Bible. Is it OK for me to have slaves?