Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: WWYD?
Pay the rediculous fee and feel ripped off but knowing the pain will go away! 0 0%
Calll a laywer and bring this absurd institution of arbitrary towing practice of over-charging to courts! 2 66.67%
Don't do anything and wait for collections to call and not answer. Fuck the world and its injustice! 1 33.33%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-08-2007, 05:22 PM

Default Re: Question about Blood Alcohol Content

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Any intelligent person reading this thread will think you're dumb, Dali. Sorry.

[/ QUOTE ]

El D et al,

There is a scenario where a person can have sound or even superb logical reasoning abilites but still believe and even assume '.08' means 8% and not .08%. This scenario would require the person has next to no knowledge of how the body works, and no amount of common sense will help in this regard. The knowledge simply need to studied and learned. People often confuse common sense with common knowledge.

Now, the circulatory system might be common knowledge but I highly doubt it. People in general have absolutely no clue how the body works, and never had the time or interest to learn. After studying nutrition myself I was shocked at how little people know and how most 'common knowledge' is outright incorrect. Sugar is 'bad' right? Calories are 'bad' cuz they make you fat, right? Et cetera, et cetera.

Long story short, I found it odd that Daliman didn't know this factoid but didn't consider it worthy of somebody dumb and lacking logical reasoning abilities. It seems almost standard that people just don't know anything about anything.

I might consider it dumb that a person has no interest in learning how his body works, or other useful information, but that's a different discussion entirely.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah bro but ur not an intelligent person
Old 10-08-2007, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know what the others have said and I'm late to the show, but I'll inject this thread with what I know, which may not even be the answer.

When someone has blood drawn for the BAC test, the results come back as a number like 149.5. That translates to a BAC of .1495. I know this because I arrested a guy for a DUI related crash and had to get a search warrant for his lab results, where I then contacted the lab tech to ask him what the 149.5 meant.

And from my understanding, it was always .08%, not 8%.

[/ QUOTE ]

Incorrect. The 149.5 is 149.5mg/dL, and this is not interchangeable with BAC by %.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you elaborate on this? Do you know what the conversion is?

[/ QUOTE ]

Confession: I'm being kind of a nit on this one.

The short answer is that there is no exact conversion.

Long, boring explanation: mg/dL is measured in serum, which is blood that has been spun down, removing all the cells. It is a weight (mg) per volume (dL) measurement.

BAC, or the % measurement, is the percent of alcohol by weight in a certain volume of whole blood, that is, blood with all the cells still in it.

100mL of whole blood weighs more than 100mL of serum.

Serum ethanol concentration and BAC are roughly interchangeable in the way you described, but may be off by up to 10% in a particular individual based on their red blood cell count, osmolality of serum, etc.

This makes no difference when you're tanked at 300mg/dL, obv. It may make a difference if it's a borderline driving 80mg/dL or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find that interesting because the way our district attorney wants us to arrest a person for DUI is to arrest them for all levels of DUI up to their reported BAC level. For example, if someone is found to have a BAC of .149%, then we would charge them with general DUI, .08-.10 BAC, and .10-.16 BAC, and then the DA will drop what he needs to drop. He recognizes the fact that the BAC test may be off.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The ensuing ATF thread about Dali's banning should be [censored] awesome.

stabn and tuq- please be available in 22 hours, 43 minutes and 1 second

[/ QUOTE ]

HU 10K KARAOKE-OFF YO
Old 10-08-2007, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

El D et al,

There is a scenario where a person can have sound or even superb logical reasoning abilites but still believe and even assume '.08' means 8% and not .08%. This scenario would require the person has next to no knowledge of how the body works, and no amount of common sense will help in this regard. The knowledge simply need to studied and learned. People often confuse common sense with common knowledge.

Now, the circulatory system might be common knowledge but I highly doubt it. People in general have absolutely no clue how the body works, and never had the time or interest to learn. After studying nutrition myself I was shocked at how little people know and how most 'common knowledge' is outright incorrect. Sugar is 'bad' right? Calories are 'bad' cuz they make you fat, right? Et cetera, et cetera.

Long story short, I found it odd that Daliman didn't know this factoid but didn't consider it worthy of somebody dumb and lacking logical reasoning abilities. It seems almost standard that people just don't know anything about anything.

I might consider it dumb that a person has no interest in learning how his body works, or other useful information, but that's a different discussion entirely.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

edit: nevermind, I should have read that more closely. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 10-08-2007, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

El D et al,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you might need to get your Dissociative identity disorder treated.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
QFT
Old 10-08-2007, 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

El D et al,

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually any intelligent person not living in a 3rd world country would have heard about this and thus know it. You dont have to actively study a subject, especially not one so simple as BAC..
Old 10-08-2007, 05:53 PM

CC,

I like the spirit of what you're writing, and I actually think ED would probably agree with you absent the long and storied history of his interactions with Dali. But I think claiming knowledge of how the body works with regards to this (and this being why everybody knows that it's percentage, and not 100*percentage quoted) is a little much. Do people really know what percentage of various fluids get absorbed into the blood, and at what rate? Do they know if this is constant for all fluids, or goes differently for different ones? Basically, I think this is just a piece of trivia that a lot of people know and it's fun to dogpile. It's not like many people other than ED were offering any kind of thought process about how one might tackle the question.

I think asking a question like this doesn't necessarily mean that a person is dumb. It can mean that they don't have enough raw facts to reason out something close to the truth, as you suggest. Or, it could just mean that they are being lazy in some sense and haven't thought deeply about it. There are a lot of times where I'll ask questions to those around me that have just occurred to me, and sort of think out loud. A lot of those questions can end up looking a little stupid, as this one does. My guess is this is where Dali was coming from. Where Dali starts to look bad in this thread (at least in my opinion) is when he gets defensive about the whole enterprise.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

El D et al,

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually any intelligent person not living in a 3rd world country would have heard about this and thus know it. You dont have to actively study a subject, especially not one so simple as BAC..

[/ QUOTE ]

Is sugar bad?
Old 10-08-2007, 05:58 PM

gumpzilla,

Well, I happen to like Dali but then i'm accused of liking everybody so take that how you may. I agree with El D as much as humanly possible concerning his stance on the outbreak of dumbitis, as well as share his passion. I was just offering up an alternate scenario that hadn't been explored.