Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 07:24 PM

Default Re: This whole \"don\'t call UTG raises\" needs to stop

[ QUOTE ]

Recently I've sort of begun trying a different style of play, mostly experimentational. Basically it involves me having a huge UTG range and raising it from every position, but not deviating too far from it, even from the button. I'll fold weak aces, lots of suited crap I normally open like Q5s, etc. The results have been solid but of course this sample size is meaningless, but I do like that almost everybody I play with has a false view of my opening ranges from various positions, and they play incorrectly in many spots against me because of that. I think I'm going to re-incorporate the raise practically any two on the button theme back into my game as it was very profitable.

This is $400nl btw:

[/ QUOTE ]
At most tables (esp at good or really tough tables) this is really bad. It goes against all kind of game theory and adds a little deception.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:54 PM

tufat you used to be my favorite, tell me you're JKing.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, a lot of decisions are close, this doesn't mean you should make the less optimal in a video merely so people don't know what you really would do, thats very underhanded.

[/ QUOTE ]

I cannot imagine the CR staff would be too happy about that either.
[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, f, your right, people open light UTG, so what ? If you hadn't noticed this before, your really slow. Fwiw, when I played 1/2 a ton, I actually analyzed your play position by position to see what happened. Over 30k hands or something like that(got other hands from people) you went from 17/17 UTG to 20/18 on the button or something absoulutely ridiculous, so I'm not sure why you are the one to bring this up.

As for bad TAGs at 1/2 and below, thats just stupid. I've most likely played the most hands at 2/4+ of anyone thats responded in this thread except for maybe bobbo and I don't think he really ever puts hands in anyway and there are a LOT of very solid/good tags at 1/2. Yes, they have leaks, but so do 2/4 regs, etc. If nothing else, there are a lot of people who follow cookie cutter strategy that is incredibly effective(ie- pot control, stack a donk, whatever, overall they are probably awful with balancing, but hand by hand they play very well)

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you say balancing is one of the major problems people have? It sounds an obvious question as to why some/higher stakers will be better than others post flop. People obviously have to have those different actions in their armory, they have to recognise/read when to use each (ie. too many, as I used to, will try and be too aggro and cbet every flop and become easy to combat), and they need to make sure they are balancing them out. I guess this basic question stems from teaching someone else earlier. So have I missed anything as to why some are better than others post flop?

Thirdly all this talk about avoiding good regs. Usually you have each hand/situation and unless squeezing, you will get some resistence from a certain opponent. Now, unless tightening up against players you are worried about playing, its not as if people are choosing whether to play the TAG or the donk, and thus is the tag comes up against me I will attempt to outplay him as well as the donk. Please tell me if there is some error in my arguments here, I am very tired and havent the time to proof read.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:01 PM

tufat -

You're being an a-hole. Wtf is wrong with you?

I mean, you come in here and say all SSNL players stink, and you have all this super amazing insight, but just prefer not to share it. Were you hoping people would get on their knees and beg for your boundless wisdom?

Even in the best case scenario, you're being sarcastic and trying to be funny or something - but all you're doing is derailing a good thread people are interested in.

Why must you be a tool? Aren't you supposed to be like, a "good poster" or "part of the community" or something?
Old 09-28-2007, 11:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Recently I've sort of begun trying a different style of play, mostly experimentational. Basically it involves me having a huge UTG range and raising it from every position, but not deviating too far from it, even from the button. I'll fold weak aces, lots of suited crap I normally open like Q5s, etc. The results have been solid but of course this sample size is meaningless, but I do like that almost everybody I play with has a false view of my opening ranges from various positions, and they play incorrectly in many spots against me because of that. I think I'm going to re-incorporate the raise practically any two on the button theme back into my game as it was very profitable.

This is $400nl btw:

[/ QUOTE ]
At most tables (esp at good or really tough tables) this is really bad. It goes against all kind of game theory and adds a little deception.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty much all the game theory in poker books is garbage, and in general the "play tight in EP" mantra is more naive than anything else. So if you're saying it's bad based on outdated poker theory I'd say you aren't making a very convincing case.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pretty much all the game theory in poker books is garbage, and in general the "play tight in EP" mantra is more naive than anything else. So if you're saying it's bad based on outdated poker theory I'd say you aren't making a very convincing case.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm just saying rasing the same hands when there's 5 players left to act as you do when there's 2 players left to act for deception is suicide on most tables. You must realise that a hand that's marginal when there's 2 players left to act and you're in the best possible position (when you're on the button) is totally retarded to raise when there's 5 players left to act and you're in a crappy position (UTG).

Saying game theory is outdated is silly. There's a much greater chance at least 1 player out of 5 have a premium hand than 1 player out of 2.

Also the immediate profit of stealing a blinds is much less from UTG. Etc etc. Having a discussion like this is ridic.

Edit: Fwiw I respect you as a poster a lot and you always make well out thought posts, but thinking your idea of raising the same hands in all positions is close to being good is really bad...
Old 09-28-2007, 11:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the "play tight in EP" mantra is more naive than anything else.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well in my naivety I think playing in position is easier and more profitable than playing OOP, and raising an identical range from UTG as the CO/BTN is basically stripping positional advantage out of my overall strategy [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 09-28-2007, 11:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hope i'm being levelled because if not, tufat comes off as a huge douche

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-28-2007, 11:24 PM

right because giving your preflop range a slight amount of unpredictability will totally compensate for playing a ton of your hands OOP, especially against good players.

????????
Old 09-28-2007, 11:32 PM

Is this thead a big strawman or what? Who ever said "don't call UTG raises" anyway?!
Closed Thread