Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2007, 07:25 AM

Default Re: NFL Most Valuable Positions

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Salaries are a good indicator. But you also have to factor in demand. RB is crucially valuable to a team. But since there seem to be so many pretty good ones right now, teams can afford to let them go. Not so with LT, CB or QB.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's counter intuitive since scarcity is directly correlated of with value.

[/ QUOTE ]

If there were only 18 guys who could long snap, and the rest made a really horrible snap once a game, long snappers salaries would go way up. You still couldn't say the position became more valuable, just because of a scarcity of competent players.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is absurd. Quit sounding like a horrible baseball MVP voter, when the rest of us say value we are using it like we know the meaning of it.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
First off, if you concede that Indy can play D without great corners, then this is not a "total myth."

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the myth is that Indy's Cover 2 somehow magically creates good defense. go look at their defensive DVOA over the past 4 years - they have been below average.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not contending they're any good.

I'm just using someone else's statement to illustrate a flaw in logic.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]

1. There are still backs that shoulder the load and play 3 downs.

The Chiefs gave about 90% of their carries to LJ last year.

[/ QUOTE ]

And Herm Edwards is universally recognized as being retarded for giving LJ so many carries.

Anyway, the point is that RBBC is successful because RB success goes down with increased carries. So the more you split carries between two RB, the more success you have.

[ QUOTE ]
2. There are other positions that rotate out just as much if not more than RB. D-linemen in particular.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, I said exactly the same thing in my post [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img].
Old 09-26-2007, 08:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Look at how many safeties are going in the Top-10 of the draft, when five years ago they could barely crack the top half of the first round. There were four safeties taken in the first round last year.

[/ QUOTE ]

The 2006 draft was particularly safety heavy; there were a number of talented players at the position. Safeties are also in vouge right now; doesn't make them more valuable than corners.

It's almost universally agreed that CB>S. I mean, FFS, how often do you see college CB switch to S in the NFL because they can't play CB? Fairly often. How often do you see it go the other way? Almost never.

[ QUOTE ]
And, there's a reason Ed Reed was Defensive Player of the Yera and Bailey wasn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure that reason is the same reason why Justin Morneau won the AL MVP last year: voters are retards.

(Actually, Ed Reed had a sensational year in 2004 and was rather deserving. But don't use awards as evidence for anything. The voters are writers; they're retards. That Champ Bailey has never won DPOY is surprising and dumb; he should have won last year, but CB rarely win NFL DPOY. The award is generally biased towards linebackers and defensive ends.)