Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2007, 11:11 AM

Default Re: An Amazing Life

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
or the eyewitnesses who wrote about the miraculous things they saw because they were so spectacular?

[/ QUOTE ]

Except that the authors of the gospels were almost certainly not actual eyewitnesses to the miracles.

[/ QUOTE ]

So Paul of Tarsus didn't experience a miracle on the road to Damascus??

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't recall there being a "Gospel of Paul".
Old 09-21-2007, 11:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
....He said once that he found it odd that people think they had to travel to share the word of God...they should be doing it in their own backyard first...

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to be clear -- are you admitting that your sole purpose for posting here is to preach about your religion and to convert us?
Old 09-21-2007, 11:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
....He said once that he found it odd that people think they had to travel to share the word of God...they should be doing it in their own backyard first...

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to be clear -- are you admitting that your sole purpose for posting here is to preach about your religion and to convert us?

[/ QUOTE ]
Splendour, and if you answer "no", maybe you can go back and address some of the questions you were asked. The point of starting threads here after all is to discuss things. You are open to discussion, right?
Old 09-21-2007, 11:28 AM

Hopey a man converts himself based on the information he has...That's why God gave him free will...
Old 09-21-2007, 11:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hopey a man converts himself based on the information he has...That's why God gave him free will...

[/ QUOTE ]

So your answer is "no comment" then?
Old 09-21-2007, 11:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Splendour, and if you answer "no", maybe you can go back and address some of the questions you were asked. The point of starting threads here after all is to discuss things. You are open to discussion, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I'm trying to find out. Some posters seem to believe that the P in SMP stands for "Proselytizing".
Old 09-21-2007, 11:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
or the eyewitnesses who wrote about the miraculous things they saw because they were so spectacular?

[/ QUOTE ]

Except that the authors of the gospels were almost certainly not actual eyewitnesses to the miracles.

[/ QUOTE ]

So Paul of Tarsus didn't experience a miracle on the road to Damascus??

[/ QUOTE ]
I am open to the idea that he did, but it seems to be extremely unlikely, and since neither of his have evidence one way or the other, I think it's more reasonable to side with "no, he probably didn't."

[/ QUOTE ]

Try Acts 9....start reading

[/ QUOTE ]
I have read it before but I have some spare time so I will read it again.... It's a nice story. What makes you think this actually took place? I am open to the idea that it did but when I read this it sounds like allegory to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because I believe in what's written in the Bible. Simple as that. How or why would someone, Paul in this case, who was a staunch "hater" of Christ all of a sudden be one of his biggest supporters? Something extordinary (i.e. a miracle) would have had to happen in order for him to do an about face, no?
Old 09-21-2007, 11:37 AM

I thought I just answered your question...
Old 09-21-2007, 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Because I believe in what's written in the Bible. Simple as that.

[/ QUOTE ]
So "belief" in this case requires that you take this story as a literal occurrence?

[ QUOTE ]
How or why would someone, Paul in this case, who was a staunch "hater" of Christ all of a sudden be one of his biggest supporters? Something extordinary (i.e. a miracle) would have had to happen in order for him to do an about face, no?

[/ QUOTE ]
That is certainly one possibility. There are lots of others though. Maybe something extraordinary happened to him that has a natural explanation. Why does the extraordinary event have to be miraculous by default? Maybe the story is exaggerated or allegoric. Maybe the story didn't happen at all.

How did you come to choose so certainly from all of these possibilities when you have the same information that I do?
Old 09-21-2007, 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought I just answered your question...

[/ QUOTE ]

My question required a "yes" or "no" answer, not a bible quote.

Let me be clearer:

Do you post in SMP in order to proselytize, yes or no?