Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 10:36 PM

Default Re: Yeah So I wont be Dinking and driving anymore

Where I live at .05 the cops can suspend your license for 1 day and tow your car. I blew a .045 on the only time I've ever been stopped. Was pretty scary. The guy says "I have to let you go". Whew !

.045 for me ended up being 7 drinks in 4 hours, with no booze in the last hour and food in my stomach. I didn't feel really impared, but at least now I know what .05 feels like. I really had no sense of it before.
Old 09-15-2007, 10:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Where did Jman make any point? Not joking about or anything.

[ QUOTE ]
What you are doing is neither hilarious, nor funny. Notice that everyone else in the thread disagrees with you? You're actually the [censored] that is endangering the lives of others, and you're committing what is probably a felony reckless endangerment in most states, to combat what you are witnessing, which is most likely a misdemeanor driving while intoxicated. good job. Also, I don't believe a word you've written.

Edit: By the way, I just drove home from Atlantic city, and just got home. I don't drink alcohol, but i was pretty tired. Its possible I may have swerved slightly out of my lane once or twice during the 3 hour drive home. I'm glad I didn't run into you.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, cant be the first paragraph, so i guess paragraph two. So what absurdity did he 'prove'?

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol, come on Diceman, don't put prove in quotes when I never used that word or said he proved anything.

The point was just that the other substances and factors that greatly impair your ability are not punished anywhere near as severe (if at all) as alcohol. This is not to say alcohol punishments are too severe, just that the whole business is absurd and annoying on a scientific level.
Old 09-15-2007, 10:43 PM

Just read your post about 'driving while tired' laws. I agree it's much harder to enforce, but still the mob mentality attitude towards it is nowhere near as harsh and unforgiving.

And yes, your facts are right with the awake for 24hrs.=drunk, and I assumed this was common knowledge.
Old 09-15-2007, 10:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
We'd need to know how significant "being to deteriorate" is and then compare it to other completely legal, socially acceptable things which might also deteriorate driving skills. So, a .02 is worse than a .00, but is a .02 worse than a driver having a bad day? Worse than someone having a conversation? Someone with the flu? Of course skills "start to deteriorate" at low BACs but we are willing to accept some level of deterioration, aren't we?

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem IMO is that .08 is WAY less of a problem for driving then any other distraction or ailment such as being tired. I'm not trying to condone drunk driving, or even say that driving at .07 is necessarily a "good" idea. I just hate how if someone gets an owi for driving at .09 they're instantly a baby killer, but people don't blink an eye at any other things that hinder your driving (cough old people)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with you. I think we all want to be safe on the road, but when it comes to drunk driving there gets to be this preachy, moralizing component where logic and statistics and reasoning go right out the window and now its time for rage and evil and condescension.

FWIW they did some studies on medical residents who had been working 36-48 hour shifts and found that their driving was impaired far worse than any .08 driver and that they were a complete menace on the road. This led to some changes in the way that hospitals run their programs, but not a whole lot of shrieking moral outrage.
Old 09-15-2007, 10:57 PM

Yeah, i misread and misinterpreted your post, didnt mean to misrepresent what you said which was "made" not "prove".

I think the main difference is ive never seen an ad saying "being tired and driving kills, dont be tired and drive!". Replace tired with drink and ive seen plenty. Most are really forceful and douchey, but if it works, whatever i guess.

Plus, as far as im aware there isnt a specific law against being tired and driving, but im sure it is covered by a catch all law about driving whilst incompetent or something.

Judging by what Jman said, no, being tired and drunk being comparable is not the same. He basically admitted he wasnt fit to drive with "i may have swerved slightly out of my lane once or twice".

<insert "i am serious cat" picture btw>
Old 09-15-2007, 10:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, i misread and misinterpreted your post, didnt mean to misrepresent what you said which was "made" not "prove".

I think the main difference is ive never seen an ad saying "being tired and driving kills, dont be tired and drive!". Replace tired with drink and ive seen plenty. Most are really forceful and douchey, but if it works, whatever i guess.

Plus, as far as im aware there isnt a specific law against being tired and driving, but im sure it is covered by a catch all law about driving whilst incompetent or something.

Judging by what Jman said, no, being tired and drunk being comparable is not the same. He basically admitted he wasnt fit to drive with "i may have swerved slightly out of my lane once or twice".

[/ QUOTE ]

If there is a catchall "driving while incompetent law" then surely all of the drunk driving laws are unnecessary and geared towards punishing drunks or people who do things of low moral character, right? Whats wrong with just general laws against driving badly?
Old 09-15-2007, 11:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If there is a catchall "driving while incompetent law" then surely all of the drunk driving laws are unnecessary and geared towards punishing drunks or people who do things of low moral character, right? Whats wrong with just general laws against driving badly?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if we want to jump into the borderline conspiracy theory pool, i've always pondered that as powerful as the alcohol industry is it's nowhere near as powerful as the automobile and insurance industries. These two behemoths are not going to allow anything that significantly cuts back on the enormous number of drivers on the road.
Old 09-15-2007, 11:07 PM

On a similar note, we just had that thread about second hand smoke, and the same notion applies. As powerful as BIG TOBACCO is, they're kiddie games compared to the other industries that do the majority of the polluting. In all cases somebody needs to be the scapegoat and take the fall.
Old 09-15-2007, 11:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Usually its a case of making sure the law is applied as the government would expect.

The mobile phone laws werent needed as such in the UK, but they were brought in for this very reason.

Essentially you only need 1 laws

Dont do bad stuff

But there are varying degrees of bad stuff and you dont want someone randomly choosing what is and isnt bad and how and to what degree it is prosecuted.

A lot of the time public opinion leads law making, and public opinion is led by media outlets, but that is the system and its the best we have available.
Old 09-15-2007, 11:42 PM

Yeah, rather than allow experts to exercise their judgment, we'd rather enact laws so people are caught on technicalities.
Closed Thread