Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > BBV4Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2007, 01:37 PM

Default Re: BAN ON SMOKING

[ QUOTE ]
Why the [censored] can't I go to a bar that allows smoking and you go to a bar that doesn't??

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd actually be perfectly fine with that.

The core of the problem is that my not smoking doesn't really change your experience where ever you are. The flip side isn't true though, your smoking nearby significantly changes my experience. If your habit didn't affect me, I wouldn't really care.

It's the same reason you get kicked out for being obnoxiously loud, or incredibly smelly like the WSOP guy, yelling "fire", firing off your machine gun at the ceiling, whatever. Anytime your behavior significantly impacts my experience, then it's a behavior that's going to be restricted.

If a bunch of people want to go be smelly together, then I'm fine with that.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The fact that smoking is bad for you is irrelevant. So is alcohol, suvs, and trans fats, but there would be an outrage if these things were treated in the same manner.

[/ QUOTE ]

Trans fats have been banned in many parts of the world, for a bunch of reasons - the best is probably the fact that, unlike stupid ol' U.S. of A, the entire developed world has socialized healthcare. People's right to make ridiculously unhealthy products for the market <<<<<< my right not to have to pay greater taxes because of the inherant risk within their goods.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You have the CHOICE to move to a city/state/country where smoking hasnt been outlawed by public demand.

The bar is California, and its owner has decided to make it none smoking. Excercise your freedom of choice and move states.

Also, im pretty easy going on drug use - hell, i dont really care about second hand smoke, but i can easily argue devils advocate because im arguing from an elevated position.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is incredibly complicated and not at all convenient for the smokers to do in that state. When you see that as a possible solution, it's easy to see how allowing private businesses to handle their own policies will be a better solution. Smoking pubs, non-smoking pubs, everybody's happy, nobody is forced to relocate themselves and their family to enjoy a simple freedom.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
shipit,

You need to realise this is a motion borught about by majority opinion. Prohibition was brought about by minority opinion. Comparing smoking bans to prohibition is stupid in every way possible.

Plus, as i already stated you cant compare smoking to alcohol because alcohol when drunk responsibly has no adverse effects on those around you.

Swing, and a miss.

[/ QUOTE ]

Neither does marijuana, cocaine, heroine, ecstasy, LSD, etc. etc. etc. By your logic smoking should be illegal and everything else should be legal.

You still have avoided my main point which is that if the owner of a private establishment wants to allow smoking in his business he should have that right. This should be a matter of CHOICE which is the key thing you seem to not understand. No one is forcing you to walk into a smoking bar. You want to ban smoking in government buildings, parks, etc., fine, I'm all for that, but saying that a private business owner cannot allow smoking is a pure violation of freedom.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have the CHOICE to move to a city/state/country where smoking hasnt been outlawed by public demand.

The bar is California, and its owner has decided to make it none smoking. Excercise your freedom of choice and move states.

Also, im pretty easy going on drug use - hell, i dont really care about second hand smoke, but i can easily argue devils advocate because im arguing from an elevated position.

[/ QUOTE ]

r u standing on a chair or something
Old 09-13-2007, 01:43 PM

Working somewhere where you can't control what the customer does is completely different than going somewhere to eat or drink.

Shipit; Bar owners want to not follow any of the food safety laws in place because, hey, its their business and the government shouldn't be allowed to tell them what policies to enact. Correct?
Old 09-13-2007, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The McDonalds thing is completely different...

[/ QUOTE ]

Nobody is forcing you to eat at an establishment that will have adverse effects on your health.

[/ QUOTE ]

But just being in a McDs doesn't adversely affect my health...being in a smoky bar does. See the difference?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're being nitty, but ok. Your initial objection was that you didn't want cancer from working behind the bar (lol). My point is that nobody is forcing you to frequent a smoking bar when there are plenty of alternatives that better suit your preferences.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The fact that smoking is bad for you is irrelevant. So is alcohol, suvs, and trans fats, but there would be an outrage if these things were treated in the same manner.

[/ QUOTE ]

Trans fats have been banned in many parts of the world, for a bunch of reasons - the best is probably the fact that, unlike stupid ol' U.S. of A, the entire developed world has socialized healthcare. People's right to make ridiculously unhealthy products for the market <<<<<< my right not to have to pay greater taxes because of the inherant risk within their goods.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lots of places are taking up the ban trans fat thing here in America and a lot of the major food companies have switched away from it.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:57 PM

[x] Worst BBV4L thread ever.

[ QUOTE ]
Working somewhere where you can't control what the customer does is completely different than going somewhere to eat or drink.

[/ QUOTE ]
You are looking for a job. You are aware that working in a factory can have adverse effects on your hearing and that the dust can cause severe damage to your lungs. Do you decide to work at the factory? If you do, do you enforce a ban on loud noise and dust?

[ QUOTE ]
there is no [censored] way you could KNOW for sure he got lung cancer becuase he smoked. ducy?

[/ QUOTE ]its_just_me - The evidence is /was rather overwhelming.

I don't care if you smoke or not. I believe in personal freedom.

But you're burying your head in the sand if you think smoking doesn't cause lung cancer in some individuals. It does.

And it's not fun to have lung cancer. Do you see?

Buzz