Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2007, 10:06 PM

Default Re: Stepping down from bbv4l

CC,

Oh you'll probably hate me like the football coach that made you do wind sprints in the 120 degree heat but whatever. You'll look back one day maybe 10, 20 years from now and be happy I did it because it made you stronger.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I think threatening NT for mod is a good plan, honestly.

[/ QUOTE ]

srsly it would be funny, i won't even ban anyone

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel like banning everybody that didn't realize it was a joke.

Well, not rly, but it does seem to epitomize the bbv4l problem. A common cry of the posters now seems to be, "awww you guys don't get it, you have no sense of humor, teen angst roolz," when it reality many of them don't have diverse and well-honed senses of humor. It's a heavy handed poop and dick joke or nothing, and quite frankly humor that one dimensional just isn't funny.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you guys help an old man understand the BBV4L humor? At 27 I'm probably well above the median for BBV4L, or at least some sort of weighted average by posts. I certainly have less hair than the average 4Ler.

The main thing I notice about the humor when skimming, which I do rarely, is that it's basically just a bunch of people repeating a lame joke. The jokes aren't all toilet humor it seems, but they do seem to be really dumb. Take this thread for example. It's basically just a bunch of people pretending dids edited their post or playing off that concept and throwing in a dids is fat joke.

Firstly, how standard is that? Am I just running bad at skimming the forum or is it basically just a hundred threads like that with a couple reasonably good MSPaint threads with some hot chicks threads for good measure? Also, while I don't think I'm missing some deeper joke, is there an explanation for it other than just juvenile behavior and Daryn's word of the week - groupthink?

I think one reason I'm not as big a fan as others is that for whatever reason I've never really liked threads that are nothing but leveling on top of leveling where 99.9999% of the people posting in the thread know that the main premise at least is a joke. Those threads usually are good at the start and then suck after the avalanche.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:27 PM

jared,

I turn 40 on Monday and I get most of BBV4L.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:30 PM

Jared,

If you did a demographic poll of that forum TT-style I'm sure it would come in very young, but the problem is nobody in that forum would take it seriously.

That is such a weird forum, man. You have this site's best OT minds - Gildwulf, Georgia Avenue, nath, CC, others - calling that their home but there is SO much garbage. Lord.

I think what it boils down to is that it's a forum where everyone tries to out-funny everyone, but most people suck at being funny. The BBV4L all-stars consistently deliver but I think most posters in that forum are bottom-feeders with no quality control whatsoever, and all the attempts to out-funny just lead to pushing the envelope too far. It's like the forum equivalent of open mic night and everyone is invited.

Dunno, I'm not explaining that very well but that forum has given me some of the best LOLs ever, but as time has worn on it seems like a lot of people have run out of material and are relying on being obscene to be funny.

Hope this helps, hippy.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That is such a weird forum, man. You have this site's best OT minds - Gildwulf, Georgia Avenue, nath, CC, others - calling that their home but there is SO much garbage. Lord.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, Nath swore off BBV4L due to it's recent overdumbification. This is one of the things that made me realize the whole point of the forum had been compromised.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Take this thread for example. It's basically just a bunch of people pretending dids edited their post or playing off that concept and throwing in a dids is fat joke.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's more of an example of posters trying to make something out of nothing. I actually missed the OP that Dids deleted but i'd say that thread definitely falls in the low content category. Depressingly enough i'm drawing a blank trying to pinpoint something wildly brilliant and hilarious in the past few days, but i'll give it a go.

Tuq hit the nail on the head though with the analogy about 'comedy open mic at the improv' or some such thing. The forum was never meant to be a comedy forum, it was meant to be an off-topic forum for posters that regularly only posted in strat forums and BBV. BBV had grown too large and many non-poker threads were being started so BBV4L was created. Simple concept, though now the demographic seems to be teenagers that don't even play poker trying out the latest dirty joke they've heard.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:05 AM

Jared,

I'm 31.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:40 PM

OK.

Gildy notified me of this one, I think it's not delete worthy, but wanted other opinions.

Do we want 2p2 to have a full time "Hitler humor is not ok" policy? (I don't, but then I'm obviously less sensitive to this stuff that others).
Old 09-07-2007, 01:03 PM

imo not delete worthy
Old 09-07-2007, 01:04 PM

In context it doesn't offend me, but I also don't think its funny.

With that said I'm sure it offends at least 5% of the 2+2 audience.