Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2007, 11:56 PM

Default Re: How much to spend on a nice first car?

[ QUOTE ]
My main point was that there is a lot of value in used cars

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree - unless you want something unique or something that is likely to be driven pretty harshly (ie, is popular amongst young men for driving quickly in) then I think the OP will find much better value in getting a car that is a year or two old.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:16 AM

im in agreement that given your spot 30k is more than enough of a splurge in price range.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I had a $50k BMW at one point and really hated the thing even though it was a nice car. The problem was it just wasn't anything that cool, and if you're spending a lot of money you should get something you realllly like. I just felt like I would have rather gotten a $10,000 Honda or something.

Now I drive the Bentley which after all the work I put into it comes to $200k or so but it's just so ridiculously sick that I'm vvvv pleased with the purchase. Really I have a blast every time I take it for a drive.

So basically my advice would be to buy from a dealership that you like and are comfortable with, do not feel rushed into buying something that you just "kinda like" and instead find something that is just too damn sick to not buy. And if nothing gives you that feeling just pick up something cheap.

[/ QUOTE ]
'
agree 100%

PS- I am buying a new Mustang GT next week, paying cash. its what I want...not the best mileage/resale value/safety/etc, but its what I find fun to drive, as well as visually appealing
Old 09-06-2007, 01:46 AM

i'm in the cheap car camp. There are things that are so much better than cars.

also, wtf at your BR being like 5K? level?
Old 09-06-2007, 01:47 AM

OK, so here's the things I'm looking at because I'm in a similar situation.

I've got about a 10k car now (2000? maybe 2001? Toyota Solara, loaded+leather+sunroof obv). It's pretty legit, I mean it is a pretty good hybrid of luxury and sportiness (prolly not a word, fk you nits).

Anyways, I've decided that next year after the WSOP I'm going to get a near car- dependent in how I do in those events, or any tournaments I play this next year (and online cash obv). I was looking at the same thing- 20-30k luxury car, something kind of sweet that I just liked to drive in.

The thing is, I take two hour trips home every month or so, and that, coupled with going to visit my friends at nearby colleges and driving to class everyday: I spend a lot of [censored] time in my car. A lot. So, I want to have something sweet. I'm not really in the market for a house, so most of my money can go towards a car.

The latest I've been looking at is about a 4 year old BMW M3. I just think they look pretty badass.

There is something that all you old nits and young ballers are neglecting (although it has breifly been mentioned): This is not the end all and be all of income for Clayton. He's probably good enough to win 150/hr at SSNL to MSNL online. I mean that translates to pretty easy 10,000-20,000 dollar months. Even in the state online poker is in, even if it gets harder, I know I could 12 table into oblivion and make 20k a month in my sleep.

If he needed/wanted the money, he can do that during the winter or whatever.

Cliff notes: I spend a lot of time in my car, I'd be proud of it, I would just buy something pimp (but not 50k+, especially on a college campus- or somewhere that gets hard winters like Indiana).
Old 09-06-2007, 01:49 AM

Wait until you move wherever it is you are moving and reevaluate at that point. You may feel much less rich after paying west coast rent, buying furniture, etc.

Unless you really go all out a car isn't going to get you laid and you'll just be paranoid all the time about it getting dented.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The latest I've been looking at is about a 4 year old BMW M3. I just think they look pretty badass.

There is something that all you old nits and young ballers are neglecting (although it has breifly been mentioned): This is not the end all and be all of income for Clayton. He's probably good enough to win 150/hr at SSNL to MSNL online. I mean that translates to pretty easy 10,000-20,000 dollar months. Even in the state online poker is in, even if it gets harder, I know I could 12 table into oblivion and make 20k a month in my sleep.

If he needed/wanted the money, he can do that during the winter or whatever.

Cliff notes: I spend a lot of time in my car, I'd be proud of it, I would just buy something pimp (but not 50k+, especially on a college campus- or somewhere that gets hard winters like Indiana).

[/ QUOTE ]

No, us old nits are just observant enough to note that OP has a $5K BR and has clearly yet to achieve those oh so easy $20K months. Had he posted about a year or more of these trivial $20K months, the responses would differ.

Regarding your question, the M3 is one of my favorite cars. Be warned that high HP RWD and snow do not mix well for most drivers. At a minimum you will need snow tires and practice as it will handle nothing like your FWD Solara in the snow.

J
Old 09-06-2007, 11:10 AM

obviously jaydub that was one of my problems with the M3, since I get some hard-ish (but nothing too ridiculous) winters in indiana. my first high school car's doors froze, lol. another reason a cts was a car that gave me problems.

i didn't know clayton's br was 5k, i guess i assumed more (must have missed it in the op)

either way, even though my net worth is like 150k or 200k or something, it doesn't seem out of reason for me to spend 30-50k on a car. i mean, it's not like i'm going to just lose the fken thing, it just means that the cost of owning it will be like 5-7k instead of 2-3k a year. it has some resale value, obv, and that's what people are forgetting i think.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:40 AM

Personally, since you do have cash, and can wheel and deal, Id go with a cheap practical car, older used civic, etc for r 5 to 10k, and than pay CASH for a cool 10 to 20k old muscle car (stingray, mustang, etc). If you have a garage this is the way Id go, and you can haggle the [censored] out of anyone if you show up with 20k in a bag.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:49 AM

clayton isn't having 20k months aejones, but people are definitely forgetting that his car will have resale value.

he should enjoy his tournament winnings on at least one thing.