Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2007, 01:08 PM

Default Re: What happened to LuckyJimm?

LJ is in my top 10 reasons to read 2p2....and, most days I can't remember the other 9.
Old 09-01-2007, 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You have a habit of deciding what won't help without trying it

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I went to GA every goddamn week for three months...

[snipped huge stream of self-indulgent waffle]

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
tl;dr... why did you give up?

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I stopped going because I convinced my parents I was cured and didn't need it any more. I only went in the first place because they made it a condition of my living at home

[/ QUOTE ]
See?

My point: your writing is a direct obstacle between you and the truth. Whatever, man. I'm sure the kids will love it. I personally am not interested in addicts whose game is weaker than my own.

[/ QUOTE ]

The point I think you're making has been succinctly put on another board; I think I've quoted it already but let me quote it again. And yes, phrased like this I agree with it:

"I suppose the inherent problem of this highly readable blog is, like a soap opera, the need for inexorable sensation and event, usually without resolution (discuss). This poses a Catch22 for Luckyjim, for no matter how far he is persuaded to quit poker, the evident success of his writing will demand more story - and there's nowt fiction stranger than fact. Has he in some respects inscribed his addiction deeper into his personality?

The reflexiveness of this blog is alarmingly one more way for Luckyjim to abstract the loses and misery of his gamboling life. Does he want ever to make a choice (leaving aside the persistent problem of addiction) and what would a sustainable alternative look like? All or nothing he requests from life, but All may be a lot less than Luckyjim can currently imagine, let alone accept.

If he quits poker and becomes the adventure writer of a hundred thousand bedroom mouse clicks, he will be how successful, how rich in comparison to his aristocratic heroes? He will be a boring, balding raconteur of online plot lines, two kings in the hole, a jack on the river, all in on the flop...ad infinitum.

He should get back to his Phd and respectability, go and spend some time in his beloved Italy, learn the language, teach English - it's his one easily marketable, natural advantage right now. Oh, and continue writing… reality-blog fact as fiction, the flop and awe... Looking forward to the next installment...
Old 09-01-2007, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I stopped going because I convinced my parents I was cured and didn't need it any more. I only went in the first place because they made it a condition of my living at home

[/ QUOTE ]
See?

My point: your writing is a direct obstacle between you and the truth. Whatever, man. I'm sure the kids will love it. I personally am not interested in addicts whose game is weaker than my own.

[/ QUOTE ]

The point I think you're making has been succinctly put on another board; I think I've quoted it already but let me quote it again. And yes, phrased like this I agree with it:

"I suppose the inherent problem of this highly readable blog is, like a soap opera, the need for inexorable sensation and event, usually without resolution (discuss). This poses a Catch22 for Luckyjim, for no matter how far he is persuaded to quit poker, the evident success of his writing will demand more story - and there's nowt fiction stranger than fact. Has he in some respects inscribed his addiction deeper into his personality?

The reflexiveness of this blog is alarmingly one more way for Luckyjim to abstract the loses and misery of his gamboling life. Does he want ever to make a choice (leaving aside the persistent problem of addiction) and what would a sustainable alternative look like? All or nothing he requests from life, but All may be a lot less than Luckyjim can currently imagine, let alone accept.

If he quits poker and becomes the adventure writer of a hundred thousand bedroom mouse clicks, he will be how successful, how rich in comparison to his aristocratic heroes? He will be a boring, balding raconteur of online plot lines, two kings in the hole, a jack on the river, all in on the flop...ad infinitum.

He should get back to his Phd and respectability, go and spend some time in his beloved Italy, learn the language, teach English - it's his one easily marketable, natural advantage right now. Oh, and continue writing… reality-blog fact as fiction, the flop and awe... Looking forward to the next installment...

[/ QUOTE ]
More pointless words about yourself without any effort. I'm bored of you.
Old 09-01-2007, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
See?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
More pointless words about yourself without any effort. I'm bored of you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't write that
Old 09-01-2007, 01:36 PM

No, but you liked it, because it's a stylish way to run scared. Instead of confronting the truth you quote a verbose version of it, ad infinitum. Pathetic and boring.
Old 09-01-2007, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No, but you liked it, because it's a stylish way to run scared. Instead of confronting the truth you quote a verbose version of it, ad infinitum. Pathetic and boring.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, er, find yourself some other thread?
Old 09-01-2007, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I can't stop myself exploiting weakness. If I could get off the opiates I would be a decent poker player. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-01-2007, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I should post that on my blog, don't you think?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes
Old 09-01-2007, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I can't stop myself exploiting weakness. If I could get off the opiates I would be a decent poker player. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

What's more you seem unable to understand or engage with an argument. That post I quoted was giving me "the truth". It went over your head. Still, that doesn't matter - it's aimed at me, and if you're oblivious, no matter.
Old 09-01-2007, 02:28 PM

HU for rolls.