Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2007, 02:31 AM

Default Re: Dealer Comments On Your Play -- What Do You Do?

I bet there's more to this story than OP is telling us.

Like how he criticized the dealer in one way or another before this hand happened. And this was the dealer's subtle way of getting even.

It was 1 little comment that the dealer said. He didn't insult your family. He didn't shortchange the pot. He didn't deal from the bottom of the deck to burn you on a big pot.

Get over it. Sounds like you already haven't liked the dealer prior to this hand, and now you have your "excuse" not to tip. You're probably a lousy/non-existent tipper anyway.

Then again, maybe I'm 100% wrong.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:33 AM

The dealer has no business making this kind of comment. If OP had said stuff to the dealer before, I would tell the dealer he is out of line, and let it go unless he says something back. Otherwise, I would call the floor and put the dealer on the spot publically.

It was a typical donk comment and most dealers who play are donks. In a 1/2NL game big pf raises often get called. Also, the $7 pot OP picked up may not be that much less than his expectation if he gets called, unless he has AA/KK.

One time I thought I was UTG and started to fold, but I was BB. Flop comes AAK,r. Dealer remarks that the flop didn't hit me. I told the dealer not to comment on the hand, but probably should have also called the floor. In that case, he was also wrong, as I fold most aces UTG, but most people there probably atleast limp an ace. Some dealers want to show off their poker knowledge, but they should STFU.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:59 PM

just do what i do--stiff all dealers
Old 08-06-2007, 03:03 PM

Didn't read the OP or any replies but my answer is to wait for him in the parking lot.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
... Thoughts and comments welcomed

[/ QUOTE ]
Aside from the obvious dealer shouldn't make comments comment, I would ask myself this question: Why am I so mad? What about the comment is threatening to me?

Whenever anyone judges me my first reaction is to get my hackles up. But I have trained myself over time to try the comments on for size. If they are true, then I take it for what its worth and try to improve myself. Was a $20 raise excessive for the game you were playing, with two limpers?

Also, it seemed as if he said it in a low enough tone of voice to not embarass you with the other players. But if that was not true and others heard it, then I would want to deal with it for that reason alone.

That this has bothered you for several weeks is an indication that more is going on here than meets the eye. When I feel embarrassed by someone and don't stand up for myself, it tends to stick with me and I play the scene over and over again in my mind trying to find the right way to have dealt with it. In this regard, I like the advice of just letting the dealer know it is inappropriate for him to be commenting on your game. If he ignores you or gives you more lip, then a trip to his supervisor will make you feel better (and in my experience allows me to let go of the incident afterwards).