Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2007, 05:04 PM

Default Re: Cops who turn thier siren on to avoid congested lights -or just ru

[ QUOTE ]
Who's calling for cops to die? I just don't like them. Really, who's the one speaking in hysterical hyperbole here, you or 'us?'

[/ QUOTE ]

For what its worth, this is the post I responded to that probably helped start this [censored]...if Miami hasn't been banned yet, or at least gotten a 24 or 48 hour break from the forum, I'd be surprised.

[ QUOTE ]
For the record, [censored] cops, and [censored] you. Cops are the single most worthless form of public service out there. A)if someone breaks into your house, cops don't make it in time to save you.

Oh wait, what if someone breaks into your car? You call 911. Do they send a cop over? No they take a [censored] report over the phone. Cops don't prevent crime, all they do is show up and arrest people.

All cops are nothing more then middle men in a terrible justice system.

Ps-99% of them are unethical pricks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cop-haters are, for the most part, highly ignorant and unjustifiably "higher than thou", in my experience. Most cop threads that get started here on 2p2 have proven that to me. Meh. Getting worked up and worrying about convicting cops for going through lights is hella weak IMO. If you let that stuff bother you, you're wound WAAAAAY too tight for living.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:12 PM

Fwiw, most cops are unethical pricks. I agree with that.

The entrance requirements for becoming a cop are very low, in fact, now some depts take people with criminal records. most only require a high school diploma.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:15 PM

Edge,

shouldn't there be a parade for you to march in?

I agree a lot of cop-hating is ignorant and based on small sample size, but so's a lot of cop-loving.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:18 PM

edge is just your basic midwestern republican college student who proudly still supports bush and the war in iraq and has nothing of value to contribute to any reasonable political discussion.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:23 PM

quids,

What other special rights do you think cops deserve? They are above the law in just about every respect, especially in Chicago. You are without a doubt the biggest authoritarian on this board.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
HOLY [censored] YOU [censored] MORON HOW MANY TIMES DO I NEED TO SAY THAT THE COPS ARE IN FACT ******NOT*********** BREAKING ANY LAWS WHEN THEY DO THIS!!!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

You've insisted on this point a number of times, and it is not correct.

Traffic signals and speed limits apply to all vehicles at all times, with some exceptions which are carefully defined in the law.

I'll use my state, Arizona, as an example and, while I obviously haven't checked every other state, I think it's safe to assume that most others would be in line with this.

According to our state law (A.R.S. 28-624):

[ QUOTE ]
A. If an authorized emergency vehicle is driven in response to an emergency call, in pursuit of an actual or suspected violator of law or in response to but not on return from a fire alarm, the driver may exercise the privileges provided in this section subject to the conditions stated in this section.

[/ QUOTE ]

The statute then lists things they can do (under these circumstances) that other drivers cannot, like running stoplights and speeding.

So, the scenario described in this thread, where an officer runs a light purely to avoid a traffic jam or to avoid waiting (and not in response to an actual emergency), is clearly illegal, regardless of whether or not they are rolling with lights and sirens.

Having said that, this is not something I'm going to get too upset about. I think many cops probably consider this sort of thing a "perk" and that's okay with me, so long as it's not being rampantly abused.

I also found this article, which seems to indicate Minnesota law is pretty much the same as AZ. Pretty funny, actually - they apparently installed some red-light cameras in Minneapolis and forgot to tell the cops. Hilarity ensued.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
quids,

What other special rights do you think cops deserve? They are above the law in just about every respect, especially in Chicago. You are without a doubt the biggest authoritarian on this board.

[/ QUOTE ]

imagine if guids + jihad (is this dude still around?) were partners on a police force. they would probably need to replace their splintered, worn out batons every week after cracking so many skulls.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
imagine if guids + jihad (is this dude still around?) were partners on a police force. they would probably need to replace their splintered, worn out batons every week after cracking so many skulls.

[/ QUOTE ]

Careful, or guids will make you la cosa nostra.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:00 PM

Default Re: Cops who turn thier siren on to avoid congested lights -or just run em

[ QUOTE ]
Who cares if they blow a red light and speed once in awhile?

[/ QUOTE ]

I do.

They would pull me over for doing the exact same thing.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:18 PM

Default Re: Cops who turn thier siren on to avoid congested lights -or just run em

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Who cares if they blow a red light and speed once in awhile?

[/ QUOTE ]

I do.

They would pull me over for doing the exact same thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your fault for getting caught. All I know is when I run a red light or make an illegal left turn, I look for cops first.

If you guys see this, and have a problem with it, then why don't you report it? Call the department, say you saw car # such and such running a red light, speeding, etc. The departments actually do take this stuff seriously because, obviously by reading this thread, a lot of the general public do not respect them. Instead all I see are a bunch of whiny little liberals who can only say [censored] the police behind their keyboard.