Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2007, 12:41 PM

Default Re: ***The Simpsons Movie Official Thread***

lol yea i dont know why i did that. i just wanted people to know that it was not amazing, and was disappointing. so i guess i do know why i did it. either way suck me.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Look at the critics reviews too... rottentomatoes has it 86% fresh right now.

[/ QUOTE ]
Definitely irrelevant right now, if you ever consider that figure relevant. The people who saw it overnight are the biggest fans of them all and are no doubt grading it on a very generous curve.

That said, it's good to see that only one person thus far in this thread has given it a negative review. And that person posted in bold for some reason, so I think less of that opinion now.

[/ QUOTE ]

How is that irrelevant... its a figure by all the Movie Critics who definitely aren't all simpsons fans.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How is that irrelevant... its a figure by all the Movie Critics who definitely aren't all simpsons fans.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's my understanding that it's of people who stayed up late enough to watch a midnight movie, right? That puts them in the theater until nearly 2AM (guessing movie is ~90 mins, but you have to factor in the interminable trailers and ads that precede it). So these people will be up until roughly 3AM. Now tell me this is normal behavior for people who are indifferent to the Simpsons.

As an aside, do you hang around Worst Buy to buy new things at midnight that you don't care about?
Old 07-27-2007, 01:23 PM

Its not. Its movie critics who saw it about a week ago at their leisure.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:27 PM

rotten tomatoes is a meta-critic site

the % is just the % of critics that gave it a favorable vs unfavorable review

they all had to watch it for their job; fan or not

so there is no bias there
Old 07-27-2007, 01:30 PM

jorge, Nick,

Thanks for clearing that up. I hear Rotten Tomatoes a lot but thought it was for general public voting. I don't watch a lot of movies, particularly in the theater, and critic reviews generally annoy me. Shutting the fk up now...
Old 07-28-2007, 02:14 AM

I took my 12 year old brother to the matinee today. It was good, not great, you guys really soured me on the laughter from morons at stupid points, as I kept noticing that a lot. there were also a bunch of little kids there which made it way less enjoyable. I havent watched teh simpsons regualrily in a long time, so a lot of it seemed "nostalgic", and reminded me of when I was younger. especially the music. One reason I think I stopped watching teh simpsons was because as I got older I started noticing commentary on current events etc, and I usually dont like that type of humor but when I was younger it was a bunch of fart jokes and site gags that I loved.

SPOILER!@#$@!#%$@#%^@#$@#$ BELOW

I laughed my ass off at the gas station scene in regards to teh poster/family, that was hilarious.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:49 AM

Agree with Guids. Although it was better than I was expecting and I did enjoy it, the movie still wasn't as great as it could have been. The laugh competition was on at my theater as well and was incredibly annoying - actually I may have been able to enjoy the movie a little more if the giggling ass clowns would have stfu. The need these idiots had to validate every missed and non joke was frustrating.

One request. If ApeAttack could stop posting in this thread it would be greatly appreciated. It's a little embarrassing to see ChuckyB put together a nice response citing examples of specific post 2000 episodes only to have a mouth breather like Ape post a clueless and clearly uninformed response. We get it, Ape. All post 2000 Simpsons suck. Congrats, you're one of the lemmings now.
Old 07-28-2007, 10:55 AM

***SPOILERS WITHIN THIS POST***

A solid 4/5 stars IMHO. I think they did a really good job bringing the Simpsons to the big screen. What I liked was that the movie had a nice mix of the "cleaner" humor you're accustomed to see on the TV series and some more adult humor (like Bart's "doodle", Homer giving everyone the finger, etc.).

All in all I definitely got my money's worth and enjoyed it. Speaking of Homer's middle fingers, that was my favorite part of the movie. Others-

Lisa (talking to Marge about Colin)- "You want to know the best, best BEST part? He's not imaginary!"

The bit with Russ Cargill and Pres. Schwartzenegger going over the five options-

"Three"
"More"
"Five"
"Less"
"One"
"More"
"Six"
"There is no Six" LMAO [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Lou- "Uh, Chief, I think that was a dead body he was carrying"
Chief Wiggum- "You know Lou, I thought that too. Until he said lawn trimmings. You gotta listen Lou...listen"
Old 07-28-2007, 11:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Since you've stopped watching (2000), you've missed:
<font color="red">HOMR</font> -- The crayon in Homer's brain is removed, making him much smarter.
<font color="red">The Bart Wants What It Wants</font> -- Bart goes to Canada to get back Ranier Wolfcastle's daughter.
<font color="red">Weekend At Burnsie's</font> -- Homer gets medicinal marijuana.
<font color="red">How I Spent My Strummer Vacation</font> -- Homer goes to rock 'n' roll fantasy camp.
<font color="red">Barting Over</font> -- Bart gets emancipated from his family.
<font color="red">Three Gays of the Condo</font> -- Homer leaves Marge and moves in while a couple of gay guys.
<font color="red">The President Wore Pearls</font> -- A takeoff of the musical 'Evita'
<font color="red">I D'oh-Bot</font> -- Homer disguises himself as a robot battler to win Bart's love back.
<font color="red">Midnight Rx</font> -- Homer goes to Canada to get prescription drugs for cheap.
<font color="red">Homer and Ned's Hail Mary Pass</font> -- Yao Ming and Tom Brady are hilarious in this one.
<font color="red">There's Something About Marrying</font> -- Homer becomes a minister and starts marrying gay couples.

And a bunch more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of the ones you mentioned, the only 'Great' episodes were not long after 2000. I think saying Simpsons turned to crap post-2000 is a great exaggeration. season 11-13 was the up and down decline, IMO. Granted my opinion is greatly biased since I stopped watching regularly at 11, slowed down during 12 and then just watched every few weeks at 13 all the way to just watching a couple episodes a season from there on out. However, every single episode I've seen since 13 has been painful to watch; and that is something I haven't experienced with any episode of The Simpsons for 11 straight seasons.

Specifically, Homer's R&amp;R Fantasy camp sucked because it highlighted what the show had become: a cute series of overtly delivered topical jokes and celebrity spots. Celebrity guest appearances were good because they were often subtle, but more importantly they weren't over-used as a marketing gimmick. The topical humor was sly double-speak, where there were one or two layers of humor, and again it was subtle. Now they're jokes are flatly spelled out for us or 'funny' merely because they are animating a situation from our real life.

I remember watching an episode from a couple years ago that accents the failure of Simpsons humor. Bart and Milhouse are watching South Park and suddenly the cartoon erupts in violence for comedic value. Bart and Milhous then join hands and prance in a circle as they chant merrily "Cartoon violence! Cartoon violence".

That was the joke. That's it. Instead of lacing the words with wit, they just point to the joke as if to say "See! That's funny!"

Not to say the show is complete crap, but there seemed to be a clear drop in quality as a whole. The consistency of the show doesn't seem to be there and even when it's 'good' its nothing compared to the good shows of before. I've only seen 8 but of those, I can say for certain you're wrong about, Medical MJ, Emancipation, Gay Guys, Gay Minister, Prescription drugs, and Fantasy camp.