Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2007, 10:06 AM

Default Re: using the word \"gay\"

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've heard gay people use the word "gay" pejoratively several times. It's like black people using the n-word: it's only ok when they do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

except black people don't choose to be black, so it's different.

[/ QUOTE ]

People choose their sexual preference? I had no idea. This whole time I thought I was attracted to women by nature and not because I chose to be. So tommorrow I can be gay and then the next day I can be straight again if I like? That's cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow dude, you're gay, just for thinking it would be cool to be gay. That means you like the idea, and thus, have made the choice to be gay. Have fun with your new alternative lifestyle.

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 07-25-2007, 10:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I found that I had to make a conscious effort not to use the term since there was this overbearing culture of political correctness .

[/ QUOTE ]

what you'll actually find is that you have to make a conscious effort not to talk like a 7th grader around anybody who is a mature adult, not just liberal arts majors.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:22 AM

the other words people use in replace of gay also sound silly imho.

"the train is late, thats lame/retarded/sucks"

ive stopped using all of these. now i just breathe in and out deeply and sigh. i think its the thousands of bad beats ive accumulated these past 3 years playing poker.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
LOL at all the uptight, self-congratulatory PC nerds in this thread. Call me immature and sophmoric, but I have no problem saying something is gay, and neither do my friends (straight or homosexual). In fact, the majority of the gays I know probably say it the most.

Semi-funny story to end the post: We recently had a 20-person meeting at work. There were a few openly homosexual guys in the room. At one point in the meeting, a coworker described something our client was doing as "one big circle jerk".

Random coworker: "Hey (Gay guy #1), sounds like your Friday night."

The few gays in the room burst out laughing, while everyone else chuckles nervously

(Gay guy #1): Hey (Gay Guy #2), what are you laughing at? You were there...

More nervous laughs all around.

[/ QUOTE ]

see, this is funny, but it doesn't involve the use of the word 'gay' in a derogatory sense.

an unfunny example would be something like:

Guy at Walmart: Sorry sir, you can't exchange that without a receipt.
Me: That is so [censored] gay.

or

Cop: You were going 50 in a 35, I'm writing you a ticket.
Me: That is so [censored] gay.

It's stupid, sophomoric and offensive when it's used in a non-topical, uninventive way, the same way a lot of sort of borderline humor is.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:36 AM

damn OOT is too mature for me - i'm moving over to bbv4l
Old 07-25-2007, 11:52 AM

I'm not going to read this drivel, gay
Old 07-25-2007, 12:48 PM

I try to call something gay or make a holocaust joke within seconds of meeting someone to try and get a read on who they are as a person. Not surprisingly, many posters I would of guessed I would not get along with in real life are of the "don't say gay you aren't in 4th grade" belief.

Who’s a liberal to love — tasteless, sophomoric morons or prickly prigs of ethnic/racial/religious/etc. sensitivity? (One loses count of the taboos.) No contest. Humor is supposed to be offensive, or transgressive, in the postmodern patois. That’s how it overthrows the tyranny of tears foisted on the rest of us by fanatics who want to clamp all of life into the irons of their obsessions.

People can hate the Holocaust and revile racism, yet enjoy nasty jokes. Humanity is grander, more complicated, and, at times, more fun than egalitarian ideology. The stupid humor is not lamentable; the Nassau Weekly’s apology is. Free-spirited young people should not live on their knees.

JOHN ROEMER ’60
Parkton, Md.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I try to call something gay or make a holocaust joke within seconds of meeting someone to try and get a read on who they are as a person. Not surprisingly, many posters I would of guessed I would not get along with in real life are of the "don't say gay you aren't in 4th grade" belief.

Who’s a liberal to love — tasteless, sophomoric morons or prickly prigs of ethnic/racial/religious/etc. sensitivity? (One loses count of the taboos.) No contest. Humor is supposed to be offensive, or transgressive, in the postmodern patois. That’s how it overthrows the tyranny of tears foisted on the rest of us by fanatics who want to clamp all of life into the irons of their obsessions.

People can hate the Holocaust and revile racism, yet enjoy nasty jokes. Humanity is grander, more complicated, and, at times, more fun than egalitarian ideology. The stupid humor is not lamentable; the Nassau Weekly’s apology is. Free-spirited young people should not live on their knees.

JOHN ROEMER ’60
Parkton, Md.

[/ QUOTE ]

One time, Im playing cards with my buddy, in mixed company, it was really just a party and a card game happen to break out. One of ym good friends, who's sense of humor is hard to explain, its really really harsh, but its usually hilarious. The basement goes quiet, and I hear him from the next table over:

Hey...why cant a woman be president?

I roll my eyes thinking this is going to be horrible

him: Because they will menstruate all over the constitution

funniest joke Ive ever heard.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

JOHN ROEMER ’60
Parkton, Md.

[/ QUOTE ]
Have you ever heard of the word "context?" It might help you understand why you are the way you are. I love disgusting, nasty, vile humor. But calling things "gay" because you're too uncreative to think of another word is stupid, and makes you sound like an idiotic 4th grader. Get it?
Old 07-25-2007, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have no idea why any sane man would choose to be heterosexual. Based on the past 2 days of my new job, I can say unequivocally that women are bitchy, neurotic, and boring.

So, if it were a choice, all you guys would be gay, amirite?

[/ QUOTE ]
No. You have boobies. (And based on the past 27 years of my life, I can say unequivocally that men are vain, shallow douchebags, and I have no idea why any sane woman wouldn't be a lesbian.)

The word "queer" means "odd" or "strange," and the word "queer" also means "gay." So why it surprises anybody that "odd/strange" and "gay" would therefore become synonyms is beyond me. That's probably how the use started, not some conscious decision by a bunch of 9-year olds to mock homosexuals by associating everything bad as "gay."

I use "gay" in this fashion occasionally. Not often. There's better words. Most of the time, it's in a mockingly ironic fashion.

As for "retarded," it is a real word. Look it up. It's not my [censored] fault that a bunch of jerkoffs used it so often that it's become offensive. If something is retarded, I will say so. Now people, on the other hand, I'm loathe to call "retards" simply because that is a reinvention of the word solely for the purpose of denigration. Again, sometimes I'll use it for someone who quite clearly isn't ("Albert Einstein couldn't tie his shoes, what a retard!"), but not often.

My cousin is autistic. Call him a retard and I'll kick your ass.