Old 07-19-2007, 05:11 PM

Default Re: We don\'t have Dr. Pepper, but we have Root Beer

I do like Diet Dr. Pepper. But I hate the goddam advertising tagline:

"Diet Dr. Pepper tastes more like regular Dr. Pepper!"
More than what?
"More than... it used to."
That's not saying much.
"Ok, more than... Diet Coke tastes like Coke?"
How am I supposed to infer that from the ad?
"How about... more than it tastes like Diet Pepsi?"
Of course it tastes more like regular Dr. Pepper than Diet Pepsi. It's Dr. Pepper.
"But... it's diet and it doesn't taste like diet?"
Shut up and come up with a new tagline that doesn't beg a [censored] question.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One of my friends drinks Dr. Pepper, and it's kinda hard to find in Vegas, and I probably heard the "we don't have Dr. Pepper, but we have Root Beer" about a dozen times during the WSOP...

[/ QUOTE ]

When I was in Vegas, every time I asked for ginger ale they told me "no, but we have Sierra Mist!"
Old 07-19-2007, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
One of my friends drinks Dr. Pepper, and it's kinda hard to find in Vegas, and I probably heard the "we don't have Dr. Pepper, but we have Root Beer" about a dozen times during the WSOP...

[/ QUOTE ]

When I was in Vegas, every time I asked for ginger ale they told me "no, but we have Sierra Mist!"

[/ QUOTE ]

Ginger ale and Sierra Mist are much, much closer than root beer and Dr. Pepper, IMO. In fact, I had a Canada Dry for the first time in forever last weekend and once I took a sip I was like "Oh yeah, it tastes like lemony drinks like 7 UP, Sprite, and Sierra Mist."
Old 07-19-2007, 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you ask for Ginger Ale often at places? I've never bothered since I just assume they don't have it. The only public places I've had it are 1) 20oz gas station bottles 2) airplane 3) really really ghetto chinese buffet in like hawaii that had a Scheweppes (sp?) dispenser (alongside coke and others)

I assume if they do, it would come canned/per bottle, like those root beers, and not "free refill" style.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I believe that there are some parts of the country where coke distributes DrP, and other parts where Pepsi is the distributor. This is why you can't get Mr. Pibb everywhere. It is only sold in parts of the country where Coke doesn't distribute Dr. Pepper.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct. For instance we (Coke) distribute Dr. Pepper north of Atlanta but in the entire Atlanta metro-area Pepsi has the rights. You would not believe how many customers get really pissed off by this.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:02 PM

Isn't 7-up also mixed up like that?
Old 07-19-2007, 08:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I believe that there are some parts of the country where coke distributes DrP, and other parts where Pepsi is the distributor. This is why you can't get Mr. Pibb everywhere. It is only sold in parts of the country where Coke doesn't distribute Dr. Pepper.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct. For instance we (Coke) distribute Dr. Pepper north of Atlanta but in the entire Atlanta metro-area Pepsi has the rights. You would not believe how many customers get really pissed off by this.

[/ QUOTE ]
Just to be clear, whose customers are getting upset about this? I can't imagine the actual people buying the drinks gift a crap who distributes it. Do you mean the restaurants and other vendors? I don't really know why they'd care either. Maybe because they deal with coke for everything else and then just have to deal with Pepsi for one product?

EXPLAIN IT TO ME PLEASE
Old 07-19-2007, 08:50 PM

Evan,

"Customers" can mean a lot of different things. It can mean gas stations, delis, drug stores. It can also be private businesses such as banks or offices that stock beverages for their employees or for business meetings. A lot of people are diehard Dr. Pepper drinkers and really want it. The best example that comes to mind is a lady who was the office manager for a bank. Apparently the people who worked there bugged the [censored] out of her for Dr. Pepper, so she screamed at us one day (I had to ride the delivery trucks for a week), demanding that we bring her Dr. P. It is unbelievable how seriously people take their soft drinks.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:56 PM

FFK,

Was this bank-office manager morbidly obese?
Old 07-19-2007, 09:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Evan,

"Customers" can mean a lot of different things. It can mean gas stations, delis, drug stores. It can also be private businesses such as banks or offices that stock beverages for their employees or for business meetings. A lot of people are diehard Dr. Pepper drinkers and really want it. The best example that comes to mind is a lady who was the office manager for a bank. Apparently the people who worked there bugged the [censored] out of her for Dr. Pepper, so she screamed at us one day (I had to ride the delivery trucks for a week), demanding that we bring her Dr. P. It is unbelievable how seriously people take their soft drinks.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Just to be clear, whose customers are getting upset about this? I can't imagine the actual people buying the drinks gift a crap who distributes it. Do you mean the restaurants and other vendors? I don't really know why they'd care either. Maybe because they deal with coke for everything else and then just have to deal with Pepsi for one product?

[/ QUOTE ]
So these folks, right?

By the way, I think it's hilarious that Dr. Pepper doesn't let Coke distribute their product in Atlanta. After being in Atlanta once and getting sick of being overrun with Coke, Coke lovers and every beverage being referred to as "coke," I applaud Cadbury's move here.