Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2007, 08:32 PM

Default Re: Overrated bands/musicians

[ QUOTE ]
TOOL - Boring
Pink Floyd - All style, no substance.

[/ QUOTE ]

jesus.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hmm...no one is overrated...well, let me jump right into the fire...

The Dead--most ardent fans in the free world. Definite long-term touring success. But broad appeal? Not sure. They don't work for me... I'll say they are somewhat overrated. Shouldn't a popular band have some presence on best selling lists somewhere??

[/ QUOTE ]

So money grossing/best selling concerts.... I remember when Garcia was still alive and the Dead were still touring, weren't they on the Forbes top 10 money grossing musicians lists for a loooooong time? I think they were even the #1 band until the Eagles and RS decided to take the old asses back on tour. I'm not mentioning the fact that one specific Jam Band who is still tourning (Phish isin't anymore) and still rakin' in the money was ranked 9th overall on Forbes money makers list in 2005 (musicians, obv).

I believe the definition of "over-rated" by the peeps here in 2+2 is whatever band/musician they don't like. If that's the case, can someone please explain Jack White to me... Thanks in advance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since when does commercial success equate itself with talent? The music industry these days is as much (if not more) about marketing than talent. Just because a band didn't break into the Billboard charts doesn't mean they weren't talented. In fact, I think a argument can be made (albeit an extremely general one) that the opposite applies.

I think of Zappa who, imo, was one of the most talented and creative artists of the last 50 years. He never achieved commercial success and I think at times he may have aspired to avoid it at all costs. He said in later years that Valley Girl (which I believe was his only charted song) was the biggest regret of his career.

Like Glo said - the Dead were able to break the Forbes list for many years despite their lack of mainstream commercial success. If that doesn't point to their depth of talent at the very least, I don't know what does.

/end fanboy rant
Old 07-25-2007, 01:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I almost never listen to Tool but I have immense respect for their songwriting.

[/ QUOTE ]

I went through a heavy Tool phase in my freshman year around when Lateralus was released. Tho I do not listen to them much now, I also have immense respect for their songwriting... some of the lyrics are quite deep and the instrumentals synch quite nicely with the tone of the song.

[ QUOTE ]
TOOL - Boring

[/ QUOTE ]

With all due respect, sir, I wish somebody would invent a device that would allow me to stab people in the face over the internet (courtesy of bash.org).
Old 07-25-2007, 01:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
until the Eagles and RS decided to take the old asses back on tour.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eagles, haha. I still remember my anger at the ticket prices for that 'old ass' kickoff tour.

"Hell freezes over? It'll have to, before I spend a hundred bucks on a nosebleed seat concert ticket."
Old 07-25-2007, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think of Zappa who, imo, was one of the most talented and creative artists of the last 50 years. He never achieved commercial success and I think at times he may have aspired to avoid it at all costs. He said in later years that Valley Girl (which I believe was his only charted song) was the biggest regret of his career.

Like Glo said - the Dead were able to break the Forbes list for many years despite their lack of mainstream commercial success. If that doesn't point to their depth of talent at the very least, I don't know what does.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just saw Zappa Plays Zappa and Bob Weir & Ratdog at 10klf. If anything these guys are underrated.
Old 07-25-2007, 05:43 PM

Chris Doughtry.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just saw Zappa Plays Zappa and Bob Weir & Ratdog at 10klf. If anything these guys are underrated.

[/ QUOTE ]

How was the ZPZ show? I'm going next week and I'm never been so psyched for a show in my life. Please tell me it was as good as I'm anticpating...
Old 07-25-2007, 11:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

To overrated, there is no one more overrated than Petty. Mediocre lyrics with mediocre music.

[/ QUOTE ]

blasphemy! I disagree with you, Sir. Petty is one of my top 5 rock artists.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:15 PM

Petty is really fun to sing along to! Everyone loves Petty.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
TOOL - Boring

[/ QUOTE ]

jesus.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think tool and floyd are underated

For overated I would say the Stones, Mikey Jackson, Clapton, Nirvana and the beastie Boys.