Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2007, 11:42 AM

Default Re: Why aren\'t there more private roads?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There is absolutely nothing naturally monopolistic about the roads at all, in the slightest. It's just another myth that is perpetuated to justify monopolizing an incredibly important sector of the economy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you explain? (serious question) I don't see how my house (which is blocked on 3 sides by other buildings) can physically have an additional, competing road serve it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You (or your housing association) buy the roads outright and companies compete for the right to build them then other companies compete for the right to maintain them.

[/ QUOTE ]
In order for you (or your housing association) to buy the road, it must be for sale. Which everything is, of course, for a price. How much do you think the owner will charge, as a percentage of the total value of your neighborhood's real estate, to let you buy your way out of his absolute monopoly?

[/ QUOTE ]

No you don't understand or you willfully misunderstand. When you're building the houses you also pay for and build the roads at the same time.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There is absolutely nothing naturally monopolistic about the roads at all, in the slightest. It's just another myth that is perpetuated to justify monopolizing an incredibly important sector of the economy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you explain? (serious question) I don't see how my house (which is blocked on 3 sides by other buildings) can physically have an additional, competing road serve it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You (or your housing association) buy the roads outright and companies compete for the right to build them then other companies compete for the right to maintain them.

[/ QUOTE ]
In order for you (or your housing association) to buy the road, it must be for sale. Which everything is, of course, for a price. How much do you think the owner will charge, as a percentage of the total value of your neighborhood's real estate, to let you buy your way out of his absolute monopoly?

[/ QUOTE ]

No you don't understand or you willfully misunderstand. When you're building the houses you also pay for and build the roads at the same time.

[/ QUOTE ]
Okay, I understand this ^. I didn't realize you were ignoring all the existing houses and roads in the US/world/wherever.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Okay, I understand this ^. I didn't realize you were ignoring all the existing houses and roads in the US/world/wherever.

[/ QUOTE ]

So to clarify, your question is what is the market going to do to get us out of the mess that governments have gotten us into?
Old 07-04-2007, 12:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So to clarify, your question is what is the market going to do to get us out of the mess that governments have gotten us into?

[/ QUOTE ]
Did you think that if the past had gone differently, DCism might have come into existence "instead" of government?

Some DCist not long ago pointed out that people existed before governments did, so I suppose it's really DCism at base that's at fault for the present "mess", since you've got pure DCism 100k years ago or so and government only came into existence afterwards. Meaning that either DCism failed to persuade others to its cause, or failed to defend itself adequately from the incursions of organized government. Not that that's surprising. And not that DCists like to talk about the past (or foture, for that matter) stability of the type of society they advocate, of course. But if you'd like to address these questions, please let me know; as Ross Perot once said, "I'm all ears."

And as to your request for "clarification", yes, I think if you believe DCism should be taken seriously, you ought to have some idea of how to cope with the consequences of its distant past, including government.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Did you think that if the past had gone differently, DCism might have come into existence "instead" of government?

Some DCist not long ago pointed out that people existed before governments did, so I suppose it's really DCism at base that's at fault for the present "mess", since you've got pure DCism 100k years ago or so

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you really haven't it's the cism part that's important.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And as to your request for "clarification", yes, I think if you believe DCism should be taken seriously, you ought to have some idea of how to cope with the consequences of its distant past, including government.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want abolitionism to be taken seriously you've got to have some idea how to deal with the race issues that wil occur afterwards.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Some DCist not long ago pointed out that people existed before governments did, so I suppose it's really DCism at base that's at fault for the present "mess", since you've got pure DCism 100k years ago or so

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you really haven't it's the cism part that's important.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure I follow. In ACism, nobody actually "has" to be a capitalist. They may, or may not, exchange their labor with others, just as they like. Or am I misunderstanding?

I don't assume you're saying that DCism would have been a smashing success if only cavemen had discovered capitalism; presumably that discovery is as old as man himself: "If I give Gronk this hunk of cave bear steak, he'll give me a spark of fire!"

Or am I wrong, and in fact you are saying that DCism did not exist before, but could have existed without governments enjoying the success they had, if only cavemen had more fully engaged in commerce?

Or are you saying that government was inevitable in the past, but now that it has been enormously successful, we can finally have DCism - while at the same time complaining that DCism will have to deal with the consequences of government?
Old 07-04-2007, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want abolitionism to be taken seriously you've got to have some idea how to deal with the race issues that wil occur afterwards.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ah, dodging the question FTW! Well played sir!
Old 07-04-2007, 12:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When a question is a bullet of pure nonsense fired in order to kill serious debate dodging it is all you can do.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When a question is a bullet of pure nonsense fired in order to kill serious debate dodging it is all you can do.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ah, ad hominem ftw as well! A discussion about houses and roads, that doesn't include existing houses and roads, is about as far from a "serious debate" as it's possible to get. Which is why I made the (in retrospect, foolish) assumption that your comments about roads and houses included those that, you know, actually exist. I should have known better.