Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2007, 06:34 PM

Default Re: Focus on the Family [censored] Warning About the 6/8 IGREA Hearing

[ QUOTE ]
Nice letter, except for the (small) gaffe of "the pre-internet 1970's". The entire 1970's represent an explosion of the internet, which was a late 60's invention. In fact, folks were playing poker on the internet in the 1970's - although not on commercial web sites. We also played chess, go, backgammon, and a host of net-based ascii games. It was nice to see the rest of the world clue in 20 years later!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hehe. Good one.

Actually, in fairness, it's only a gaffe if you played a raked money game online in the 1970s. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-16-2007, 06:48 PM

Default Re: Focus on the Family [censored] Warning About the 6/8 IGREA Hearing

From Wikipedia:

[ QUOTE ]
In November 2004, Dobson was described by the online magazine Slate.com as "America's most influential evangelical leader." The article explained "Forget Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson, who in their dotage have marginalized themselves with gaffes... Dobson is now America's most influential evangelical leader, with a following reportedly greater than that of either Falwell or Robertson at his peak... Dobson may have delivered Bush his victories in Ohio and Florida. Further, "He's already leveraging his new power. When a thank-you call came from the White House, Dobson issued the staffer a blunt warning that Bush 'needs to be more aggressive' about pressing the religious right's pro-life, anti-gay rights agenda, or it would 'pay a price in four years.'... Dobson has sometimes complained that the Republican party may take the votes of social conservatives for granted, and has suggested that evangelicals may withhold support from the GOP if the party does not more strongly support conservative family issues: "Does the Republican Party want our votes, no string attached--to court us every two years, and then to say, 'Don't call me, I'll call you'--and not to care about the moral law of the universe? ... Is that what they want? Is that the way the system works? Is this the way it's going to be? If it is, I'm gone, and if I go, I will do everything I can to take as many people with me as possible."

[/ QUOTE ]

From this, it sounds like we were sold down the river to appease the social conservatives. Nothing we didn't already know, of course. I guess Bush and the Republican Congressional leaders thought we were free targets. Nothing to lose and everything to gain. They were mistaken. Ask Leach how his Congressional career is going. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]