Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2007, 11:07 PM

Default Re: Are the Yankees done for the year?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
before the season started the yankees were considered only a marginally better team than the red sox.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm only a mild baseball fan, so maybe I'm out of my element here, but were the Yankees really considered favorites preseason? I definitely thought the Red Sox were going to take the division.

[/ QUOTE ]

PECOTA projects came up with Yankees being ~1 win favorites, it was very close, but the Yankees get the close decisions for being division champs 97-06 and more ability to make a flashy move like sign Clemens.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(1) $28 million is ridiculously too much money for not even a full season out of a player about to turn 45.

[/ QUOTE ]
He's not getting $28 million, he's getting pay that if taken over a full year comes to $28 million. When he comes back he'll be making ~$4.6/month.

His deal really isn't that bad considering the supply and demand, the outrageous deals this offseason, and the fact that the yankees will have no problems with money.
[ QUOTE ]
(2) Even if he were priced more reasonably, Clemens is unlikely to help the Yankees all that much, even if he pitches reasonably well. They need to find some relief pitchers, they need Damon to start hitting, they need Hughes to come back and play well. Clemens pitching well, which isn't a guarantee, would be nice, but it won't make or break their year.

[/ QUOTE ]
If they make the postseason it's huge having Clemens on your roster. Obviously it's becoming increasingly unlikely that they make the playoffs but still.
[ QUOTE ]
The clause that Clemens doesn't have to travel with the team if he's not scheduled to start is absolutely absurd. I would never want a player on my team who expects that,

[/ QUOTE ]
Well you're not on the Yankees. I'm guessing that Jeter/posada/Arod/Torr/etc are willing to take him even if he doesn't travel with them often. Sure not everybody (that relief pitcher) won't be happy but tough [censored].
[ QUOTE ]
This team is desperate for some chemistry and the primadonna attitude won't help things.

[/ QUOTE ]
What do you know about what's going on in the Yankee clubhouse?
[ QUOTE ]
Bottom line: this was a knee-jerk reaction move that reeked of desperation.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, because expierenced GMs normally make knee-jerk reactions over tens of millions of dollars. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 05-21-2007, 11:20 PM

His deal really isn't that bad considering the supply and demand, the outrageous deals this offseason, and the fact that the yankees will have no problems with money.

Exactly. Clemens can make $500 million this year for all I care. The end result is the same, it doesn't matter because there is no salary cap. But for some reason people like to bring it up.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:37 PM

Used to be when my buddies wanted to bet a game, they would ask me what I thought and just go the opposite way. Worked pretty good.

Worked again tonight.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:37 PM

One for one so far. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-22-2007, 12:30 AM

After tonights win over the Red Sox, the Yankees now have a +31 run differential and their record is 4 games under .500. They are running bad. There is no reason to think they cannot easily contend for the wildcard. Also, coming back from 9.5 games in May would not be a record so let's just stop with them being done and enjoy the season.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
After tonights win over the Red Sox, the Yankees now have a +31 run differential and their record is 4 games under .500. They are running bad. There is no reason to think they cannot easily contend for the wildcard. Also, coming back from 9.5 games in May would not be a record so let's just stop with them being done and enjoy the season.

[/ QUOTE ]

can we plz plz plz plz stop with the "running bad" babble? I've seen that used in about 300 of Karak's posts in the past couple months whenever anything doesn't happen the way the Yankees want it to. Playing bad is not equal to running bad.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

can we plz plz plz plz stop with the "running bad" babble? I've seen that used in about 300 of Karak's posts in the past couple months whenever anything doesn't happen the way the Yankees want it to. Playing bad is not equal to running bad.

[/ QUOTE ]
Looks like running bad to me.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yea but everytime Matsui grounds into a DP you can just feel the Yankee homers rushing to their keyboards to post "ZOMG WE RUN SOOOOOO BAADDDD!!" It's just funny and aggravating at the same time to hear it coming from Yankees fans.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
After tonights win over the Red Sox, the Yankees now have a <font color="red">+31 run differential and their record is 4 games under .500. </font> They are running bad. There is no reason to think they cannot easily contend for the wildcard. Also, coming back from 9.5 games in May would not be a record so let's just stop with them being done and enjoy the season.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yea but everytime Matsui grounds into a DP you can just feel the Yankee homers rushing to their keyboards to post "ZOMG WE RUN SOOOOOO BAADDDD!!" It's just funny and aggravating at the same time to hear it coming from Yankees fans.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does red get your attention? Because bold obviously doesn't.