Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2007, 09:35 AM

Default Re: I folded the nuts

Not really the point of the thread, but I think raising AKo on this flop in Joe's spot is most likely the correct play. Maybe we need another thread to discuss it.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:29 AM

i agree justin. for one thing it will look like a pair like a pair between 66-JJ to the sb, or a 9, or a big card club draw (in that order). so it gives some disguise to the hand. also it is a good chance to clear out people with overcards or anything they might want to peel with, only pocket pairs, trips, and flush draws will call the raise, thus making their hands easier to read. also it might earn a free card on the turn if for some reason sb decides to call and c/r the turn with a hand like QQ.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:52 AM

For beginning players or poor hand readers,calling the river every time that you're gettng 10 to 1 odds or better may be half-way reasonable,I don't know.

After a player begins to learn to read hands,he should try to use more judgement,imo.

I would personally bet/call this particular river because the possibility of Joe having AK seems great enough that 8 to 1 seems like a reasonable price.

I need to give more thought to Death Donkey's check/fold play.I am sure that this a reasonable option,given DD's expertise,but my hand reading skills are not up to this level yet.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not really the point of the thread, but I think raising AKo on this flop in Joe's spot is most likely the correct play. Maybe we need another thread to discuss it.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about other AcX hands? I thought that they might be included in his range for raising the flop given how big the pot is and how dry the flop is, but i don't know. I'm just not sure how to weigh them against a good tag.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:39 PM

I think it's 99. Flop raise is perfect, most likely HOWMANY 3-bets it preflop or at least check-raises the turn.

HOWMANY looks most like an overpair, as he 3-bets out of position against 3 cold-callers.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it's 99. Flop raise is perfect, most likely HOWMANY 3-bets it preflop or at least check-raises the turn.

HOWMANY looks most like an overpair, as he 3-bets out of position against 3 cold-callers.

[/ QUOTE ]

So your saying Joe flops the immortal nuts and decides to shut out the entire field knowing full well that none of em has anything just to disguise his hand and get an extra bet or 2 out of how many? Doesn't make any sense. With 99, Joe calls the flop every time hoping and praying that someone makes a loose peel, a raise, or maybe boats up on the turn so he can get into a raising war with them. He wants as many people as humanly possible to see this hand to the turn. On top of that he wants to wait for the turn or river in this situation so he charge people multiple BBs rather than sbs.

Justin A hit it right on and I agree completly. Joes play looks like a classic AK, AQ type hand thats raising the flop to eliminate everyone else and increase his equity in a pretty big pot. Strait outta SSHE.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have likely done it w/o a club and definitely would have Ac and maybe just the Kc.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Playing 99 like this would be retahired. (not that's not a typo)
Old 05-01-2007, 04:55 PM

Is it possible for it to be terrible to raise AQ on the river but great to raise AK? Because that's how I feel and I don't know why.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:12 PM

All right. Let's have results already. I mean come on. Joe, what did you have. What did you have.