Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2007, 07:44 PM

Default Re: shooting neighbor\'s cats in my backyard

$69.99 buys you this thing that creates ultrasonic waves to keep cats away.
Old 04-28-2007, 07:46 PM

Super soakers or a garden hose aren't going to provide the range I'd need(60ft.) I don't have any rocks but if I see cats tonight I'll just pelt them with ice cubes and try to scare them with the air horn I have. If that doesn't work, then it's on to plan B.
Old 04-28-2007, 07:49 PM

More info on ice cube catapult. It has interesting non-feline applications.
Old 04-28-2007, 07:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Im 44 replys behind in this thread since i last read it.

Anyway, unless its been stated already i recommend using a catapult and ice cubes.

Thats what my dad uses at his house when cats come into the garden.

A water pistol is just as good though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you elaborate on the catapult? this sound awesome. or are you just talkign about a slingshot/wristrocket...man Im going to be dissapointed if your dad isnt sitting on his deck with a small trebuchet

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahaha, yeah, just an ordinary metal and elastic slingshot (though in the UK a slingshot is one of those things you spin around your head and then release it).

Im pretty sure theyve never hit a cat, but him and my younger brother have a bit of a crack try to hit them, and a close miss skimming off the ground near the cats head will soon reinforce the idea that its a no go zone.

A small treb and a water balloon would be fun though [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 04-28-2007, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Uhm, yes, but that doesnīt change the fact that they miss out all the exciting things that will happen in a cats life when itīs allowed to live in freedom [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean like getting flattened, mauled or poisoned? Where I live in the city, it isn't an option and those are pretty much the only "things" cats have a good chance of missing out on.

As long as you stimulate your animals and don't completely ignore them, leaving them bored out of their skulls, this assumption is bs.
Animals will behave as they are programmed to. They still stalk, hunt, eat raw diet etc. in controlled conditions and it should even be encouraged.
Old 04-28-2007, 08:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Uhm, yes, but that doesnīt change the fact that they miss out all the exciting things that will happen in a cats life when itīs allowed to live in freedom [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
You mean like getting flattened, mauled or poisoned?

[/ QUOTE ]

I admit this may happen. Donīt forget they have 7 lifes, though.

[ QUOTE ]
Where I live in the city, it isn't an option

[/ QUOTE ]

Not all of us live in a city, and I feel sorry for the cats that do.

[ QUOTE ]
those are pretty much the only "things" cats have a good chance of missing out on.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is untrue. Like I said, they love hunting, exploring, and meeting other cats/people, which they all miss out on if you always keep them in the house

[ QUOTE ]
As long as you stimulate your animals and don't completely ignore them, leaving them bored out of their skulls, this assumption is bs.

[/ QUOTE ]

While I agree that a cat can have fun playing with itīs owner, my assuption is NOT BS, but comes from observation and spending quite some time with cats.

[ QUOTE ]
Animals will behave as they are programmed to. They still stalk, hunt, eat raw diet etc. in controlled conditions and it should even be encouraged.

[/ QUOTE ]

Animals, like humans, are not robots.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-28-2007, 08:13 PM

I had (past tense) the same problem.

I would imagine most of the cat supporters are renters who have no idea what it's like to own property.

Anyway, what I do, is set up "humane" traps, wait for a cat to get trapped in it, and drop it off at a mall parking lot across town.
Old 04-28-2007, 08:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I would imagine most of the cat supporters are renters who have no idea what it's like to own property.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok now THATīS bs.

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, what I do, is set up "humane" traps, wait for a cat to get trapped in it, and drop it off at a mall parking lot across town.

[/ QUOTE ]

And thatīs criminal, as was stated before.
Old 04-28-2007, 08:27 PM

Although I recommend this:

you could just use this:

Old 04-28-2007, 10:09 PM

Okay, I did a quick google search because it might a couple days before I hear back from my vet-sis.

Here are a couple others. No idea how effective they really are but it couldn't hurt to try.
Incredibly, OP doesn't seem to be the only person who has a problem with cats deciding that his territory is actually their territory.

"No More Stray Cats - We were having problems with stray cats spraying our trash cans, back deck, etc. & it made a terrible odor! We sprinkled the Shake-Away around the area & it seems to keep the stray cats away! Tracy Hines – Lynn, MA"
link

• Motion activates loud, 3-sec. ultrasonic noise to deter pets outdoors
• Place in garden with stake (included) or wall mount to protect car/garage Humane and safe with no chemicals, shocks or fences
• Highly sensitive motion detector senses large and small animals
• Works up to 6 months on one battery
link

Keeps cats out of your flower gardens, yard, or anywhere you don't want them to be. Unlike many pest deterrents that operate continuously, the CatStop unit waits for the animal to come into its range before activating, thereby creating a more startling effect.

It's easy to use. Place the unit (includes stake to insert into soil) facing the area you want to protect. The built-in motion sensor detects the animal entering the area and emits a piercing, high decibel alarm. It startles the cat and frightens the cat away. Since the sound is ultrasonic you and your neighbors cannot hear it. It operates for up to six months on one standard 9-volt battery. Unit is approximately 5.5"L x 4"H.

* Protects about 330 square feet (20 feet or 6 m in front of the unit in an 80 degree arc).
* There are no controls or adjustments. Simply install the battery and position in your garden.
* Safely and effectively repels animals without chemicals, visually objectionable barriers, or shock.
* Passive ultrasonic detector, operates unattended and "activates" when movement is detected.
* Operates 24/7.
* Easily extend coverage with additional CatStops.
* Manufacturer offers a 30-day money back guarantee.

link

Finally - here are a couple articles I found:

link

link