Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2007, 10:42 AM

Default Re: Another gem against betgo

I have been playing there since last summer. Pokerboy for longer.

I just won another tournament last night, so I may not bother with $100NL anymore and should be out of Pokerboy's wat. I really hope I didn't upset Pokerboy, as he seems like a nice person and a good player and poster.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have been playing there since last summer. Pokerboy for longer.

I just won another tournament last night, so I may not bother with $100NL anymore and should be out of Pokerboy's wat. I really hope I didn't upset Pokerboy, as he seems like a nice person and a good player and poster.

[/ QUOTE ]

Congrats!
Old 04-18-2007, 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Who said betgo was the best at the table?

[/ QUOTE ]

You did.

In this month's Nitchat thread you stated he's the only player in your database with $1K in winnings.

So, either he's the best regular you play with, or, you're going out of your way to sit with him and have a disproportionate number of hands with him as compared to other regulars. Or both.

The only guys I follow around the tables are the ones dumping me money. I doubt betgo is doing that, particularly since every time you make a post about him it's because he just stacked you. So once again, I urge you to reconsider your priorities.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Who said betgo was the best at the table?

[/ QUOTE ]

You did.

In this month's Nitchat thread you stated he's the only player in your database with $1K in winnings.

So, either he's the best regular you play with, or, you're going out of your way to sit with him and have a disproportionate number of hands with him as compared to other regulars. Or both.

The only guys I follow around the tables are the ones dumping me money. I doubt betgo is doing that, particularly since every time you make a post about him it's because he just stacked you. So once again, I urge you to reconsider your priorities.

[/ QUOTE ]
Pokerboy doesn't seek out tables with me. We both play a lot of tables at the same time. He seems to play like 9-5 like it is a job. I play a lot in the morning, as I play MTTs later in the day. Also, I do well against the tight style in the mornings. I don't mind playing regulars and don't pick tables based on who is there.

As discussed in this thread, Pokerboy likes to reraise me frequently. I usually raise 3 to open and 5 at a limper, so he makes it 12 or 20 respectively. I think he usually has atleast the kind of hand he would open raise when he does that. I think he has been pretty effective with this approach. Of course, it is annoying to me. I think he overdoes it a little like he is exploiting a flaw in my play. Having the best starting hand in not the most important thing in deep stack NL.

I don't understand why he is suprised that I get allin preflop without a monster hand or call him with a pp and make a set. Like I said, it is not how I play against everyone, but he forces me to play that way.

I tried playing $200NL for an hour this morning and dropped $500. There are a lot more tricky aggressive players there, so I may stay with $100 NL. I do pretty well with onlin cash games, but I partly play them to help my MTT game, as different skills are emphasized.

In my last two multitabling sessions of $100+ MTTs, I took a 2nd and a 1st for a net profit of $10K. I am pretty happy about how that is going.

I may be a stronger player in some ways than a lot of people in $100NL, and as people suggested Pokerboy might be obsessing over this.

I think Pokerboy is one of the best players in $100NL. He started as an SNG player, and I think he developed a tight ABC style due to the payout structure of SNGs. I wouldn't recommend he intentionally change a style that works for him. However, I think it might help his game to experiment a little with 6-player SNGs and MTTs, where loose aggressive play is more rewarded.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:27 PM

A couple of points to some previous posts:

Betgo and I play at the same tables just about every day. Because we both play a lot of tables (probably 10-12 each) and we both look for the juciest opponents we are together a lot.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hope that answered this question. Obviously Betgo does very well and he has an approach that is very different than mine.

I can't just fold jacks because betgo raised again. Letting betgo run you over is a recipe for disaster, so I pick my spots with him. I don't think I necessarily re-raise him light, I usually have a premium hand. The reason he thinks I'm re-raising him light is because he is used to the other players at the table just calling his raises with their jacks or queens or whatnot.

If we're both playing aggressive and we periodically run into flips then so be it. I'm sure it doesn't hurt either one of our bankrolls too much.

I think betgo overestimates my range when I 3-bet him. I should probably just use that to my advantage though.

The reason I originally posted the hand 'in a vacuum' was to show how a truely abnormal hand that looks like it was misplayed several times really developed from some deep psychological thinking.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:35 PM

betgo-

Congrats on the tournament scores. I actually noticed the first one on official poker rankings before you posted it here.

I think you enjoy playing your style and what's not to enjoy! But perhaps some adjustments to your game would be bennefitial/necessary at 200NL.

There was a little bit of spite over running into a 100BB flip with you but that's not why I posted the hand here. FWIW my jacks shove was the correct play and your call with AQo was correct also. As bizarre as that is, it will not be correct to play these hands this way in hardly any other situations.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The reason I originally posted the hand 'in a vacuum' was to show how a truely abnormal hand that looks like it was misplayed several times really developed from some deep psychological thinking.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't necessarily think this was your only motivation for posting it. If it were I'd think there would be some sort of analysis on your part. I don't blame you for being frustrated by running into a coin flip here (and losing) when you did play it correctly, but I really don't think the FR forum benefits from things like this without a specific question being posed or a very pointed theoretical discussion ensuing. Cuz honestly, we spent 100 posts figuring out what's right for YOU to do against BETGO. Nothing else. The thread had highlights but for the most part it was a very read dependent and specific hand that didn't have much real intricacies as far as play goes.