Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2007, 10:19 PM

Default Re: SNG Book Announcement:

[ QUOTE ]
why would mason choose an outsider instead of someone from in house here at 2+2 forums?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because he sent us a completed manuscript that we thought was pretty good.

best wishes,
Mason
Old 04-22-2007, 11:40 PM

No kidding.

This isn't hard to understand. Mason didn't approach this guy.
Before he received the manuscript I believe he didn't even know who this guy was.

IF SOMEBODY FROM HERE WANTS TO WRITE THEIR OWN BOOK THERE IS NOTHING STOPPING THEM.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:01 AM

oh ok i see. It must be really good then for you to approve it. Look forward to the book. Thanks Mason.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One hopefully prefers to stand on the 'shoulders' of giants, not their 'backs.'

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll stand where I want, nit... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-23-2007, 03:49 PM

I want to stand on their feet.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:05 PM

I have been reading this thread every time it is updated in order to see the following important questions for me.

1. when will the manuscript that was sent back for edits be turned in.

2. if mason will ok it,

3.and when will the publish date be.

so far , as far as we know in this thread, colin is still editing it, and putting the finishing touches on it.
and it hasn't been turned back in yet.

I am curious as colin has ideas for multi table sit and goes, or what his next book will be as well.
[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 04-23-2007, 10:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No kidding.
If you're so certain you could write a superior book than go ahead and do it already.

If it's good enough you should likely be able to get it published somewhere I would think (Mason can correct me if I'm wrong).

This guy is taking the initiative and actually writing it.
2+2 didn't seek him out. And 2+2 wasn't going to ask you to write one either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I wasn't trying to be smarmy, but I genuinely think that if some STT posters can write a top notch book (and I have little doubt they can), they should start writing and they should in no way feel like they or 2+2 should have any obligation to each other. They should shop the book around and go where they get the best offer.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:58 PM

Hi guys,

I want to second the notion that other STTFers (or anyone else) really can write another SNG book. After all, 2+2 alone has multiple books out on other forms of poker such as cash limit hold 'em and no-limit MTTs. There is no reason why 2+2 or another publishing company would disregard a new SNG manuscript just because one has already been published. If you have quality content, your book will sell.

I believe the book is slated to hit the market in roughly 2-3 months, although Mason would really be the one to ask this.

Thanks for the ongoing feedback.

Best Regards,
Collin
Old 04-25-2007, 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Everyone:

While the contract isn't completely final yet, I'm going to announce a new book project, and we're working on the manuscript right now. The book is Strategies for Online Sit ’n Go’s; Expert Advice for Beating One-Table Poker Tournaments with Three Places Paid by Collin Moshman.

This is a manuscript that we received unsolicted and it is quite good. The title is tentative and may be changed before publication. Also, the author is traveling right now, but expects to start posting, primarily on the One-Table Tournaments Forum, in a few days.

Best wishes,
Mason

[/ QUOTE ]

There's no way the payout structure should be hard-wired into the programming. That's really, really poor from both a conceptual and practical standpoint. Conceptually, using a set payout structure won't explain why the payout structure causes all these oddball +cEV/-$EV spots that are the bread-and-butter of SNGs. Practically, as soon as the payout structure changes, most of the book is no longer applicable.

Collin is an intelligent, polite young man and he's beginning to make material contributions to STTF. I would like to know a little more about his poker background. Right now, my impression is that he's a decent SNG n00b with a serious case of Fancy Play Syndrome. Not that his qualifications are up for debate at this point, but I'm worried he's one of those players who plays 500 SNGs, turns a decent profit, and thinks his "system" works.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but I'm worried he's one of those players who plays 500 SNGs, turns a decent profit, and thinks his "system" works.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you don't trust the editors of 2+2 to make sure the material is accurate and complete?

Fine if you don't want to jump on the Collin bandwagon, but Mason and David have been putting out great poker books for years. Why do you think this would be different?