Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2007, 07:54 AM

Default Re: Things you thing its ridiculous people dont know/assume everyone k

Oceania (sometimes Oceanica) is a geographical, often geopolitical, region consisting of numerous lands—mostly islands and usually including Australia—in the Pacific Ocean and vicinity. The exact scope of Oceania is defined variously, with interpretations normally including Australia, New Zealand, New Guinea, and various islands of the Malay Archipelago. The term is also used by numerous authors and in many languages to define one of the continents.

Same source...
Old 03-15-2007, 07:57 AM

Default Re: Things you thing its ridiculous people dont know/assume everyone knows

I once dated a girl who had an mba and didn't know who fought in WW1,WW2,The Revolutionary War,and amazingly The Civil War. She had also remarked to me in the past about liking the mini series, The Blue and the Gray, yet still didn't know who fought in the Civil War. She had also saw The Patriot with me at the movies and couldn't tell me who fought the Revolutionary War. Some people learn things in class and then immediately forget them forever, and have no interest in anything other than who's winning American Idol. I have found shocking lack of common knowledge far more prevalent in women in my experience.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Extrapolating the concept to its extreme, some geographers take Australia and all the islands of Oceania (or sometimes Australasia) to be equivalent to a continent

[/ QUOTE ]
We don't care for extremists here.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:12 AM

in my definition there was not mention of "extremism".

I have got all my school books stating Australia as a country and Oceania as a continent.

I sounds pretty dumb saying New Zealand is in Australia...especially because kiwi chicks are way better than aussies!
Old 03-15-2007, 08:47 AM

Back on topic...

"Nuke-u-ler"
Old 03-15-2007, 09:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I have got all my school books stating Australia as a country and Oceania as a continent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Luis, I think the problem being pointed out to you is that her school books likely said something different and just as authoritative. It seems unfair that this ex of yours is being lumped in with some of the pig-ignorant people described in the thread when all she was doing was accurately recalling what some geography teacher had told her.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:34 AM

I thought the funny part was when she claimed "New Zealand was not part of any continents"...
Old 03-15-2007, 09:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought the funny part was when she claimed "New Zealand was not part of any continents"...

[/ QUOTE ]

You can chortle away all you like at your imagined superiority to this woman, but if, as I suggested, she's merely repeating what she was taught in a geography class, is it reasonable for you to be amused? There are indeed people who are taught that New Zealand and various other islands are not part of any continent. One basic definition of continent is large contiguous land mass, so it's hardly bizarre to say that New Zealand is not included.

Note that I'm not advocating any particular position on continents here; I find it a bit like arguing about whether something is a fruit or a vegetable.

But I do find it strange that you want to insist on seeing her as ignorant and seeing yourself as correct when plenty of new evidence has been put in front of you.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:51 AM

I live in England...which continent am I in???
Old 03-15-2007, 10:11 AM

Each year in Quebec City, a local radio organizes the "Dream Team" contest. They go in many bars in the region to choose 12 girls to pose for their annual calendar.

The calendar usually sucks, but the funniest thing is listening to the answers they give to some random questions the hosts ask them. Well it's not really funny, pathetic and sad would be more appropriate. I think those girls should get their right to vote revoked since they obviously don't have a clue what's going on around them.

I'm not saying that all hot chicks are dumb (hell I'm dating a very smart one - and would not want to date her if she was dumb) but we get some fine examples of ignorance of common knowledge.

Here are some examples, all true, with some explanations since most of you guys are obviously not from Quebec and these question may not seem so trivial to you.

- Who is the prime minister of Canada?
To this questions we got many anwsers ranging from the name of the prime minister of Quebec, to the mayor of the city, to a guy who has just been voted president of another political party, to Georges W. [censored] Bush !!! But a very common one is "I don't care about politics". This one makes me want to punch someone in the face.

- Is Quebec city to the East or West of Montreal?
Pretty obvious for anyone who have ever been in Quebec for more than a day. Still, many of those [censored] models who have been living here for 20 years manage to get the wrong answer or say "don't try to fool me, it's to the North!"

- How many many quarters is there in a basketball game?
"Oh I don't watch basketball" Yeah but you don't seem to know what a quarter is either!

- What is the population of Quebec? Of Canada.
The answers are about 7 000 0000 and 30 000 0000. But I've heard a girl say 30 000 for Québec and one billion for Canada. Dumb bitch! Most of them fail this question.

- What color was Napoleon's white horse?
"Huuuuh... brown?!"

I wish I was making all this stuff up, but unfortunatly it's not the case, there are really completly ignorant / retarded people out there and many of them managed to get into university. Makes me wanna cry. I'm trying to remember more, some of them were absolutly hillarious since the girls were SO convinced of having the right anwser but were not even near.

Sorry for the not-so-great english, but I think it's still better than what 95% of people here can write.