Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > Special Sklansky Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2007, 09:47 PM

Default Re: Which Book Should I Write Next?

[ QUOTE ]

I am close to being the best Algebra teacher in the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

We should get you the recognition you deserve then:
http://www.ccsso.org/projects/Nation...r_of_the_Year/

I mean you could've got a Nobel (and probably should've if they probably weighted how easy it would be for you to get one), but here you've actually done the work.

I'm encouraged by the number of 20 to 30+ year olds that want to read a book written for ten year olds-- it's a step closer to the book you should actually write if your opinion of yourself is accurate. Because if you ever realize the value of handing a struggling 10 year old learner a text book on elementary algebra-- maybe you'll write a book that helps adults speak the special struggling learner language to struggling learners.

I think you should write this book and that we should come up with a few prop bets on its reception and success.

Whichever book you do write, I'd suggest you take up Andy Fox's editorship offer-- any editor (or new editor) would be a good thing.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:18 PM

David,

I always thought you should write a book that discusses basic probability. I have read a couple along those lines which were both pretty good; Why Flip a Coin (can't remember the author) and Chance by Amir D Aczel. I'm pretty sure your effort could top those books. If you're a good algebra teacher you would probably do a good job a teaching the less intuitive probability problems too.

Of the books you suggested What poker teaches us would be very good book with quite wide appeal.

2nd choice would be the algebra book, but seeing as the subject has very limited appeal to non-student laypeople I'd say it's probably not worth the effort.

Neither of the poker books appeal to me personally.

Good luck.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:25 PM

Default write the first one....

I like the first one. I live and breathe poker, from having books in the bathroom for when i wake up and do my buisness to when im going to sleep thinking about poker concepts.

I have found that the applications to real life situations are extensive. I go up to a girl to try and ask her out, so i put a little feeler bet on the table. I have to presuade someone to do what i want and apply full pressure, so im all in on the last try.

having someone like you put it down on paper would be amazing.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:52 AM

"As far as being the best algebra teacher...do you think you could have done a better job teaching me than your father?"

No chance.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:19 AM

I really think you should collaborate with J.T. Leroy on a romance novel about a May-December relationship.

If publishers fail to materialize on that front, I'd really like to see somebody, anybody, author a definitive treatise on low and micro stakes NLHE.

Ideally such a work would touch more on applicable stateegury for dealing with the semi-irascible and exotic characters who stampede their way into these low stakes pots ... as opposed to trotting out the usual super systems of convoluted intestinal detritus procured from many a theorist's proverbial posteriors and which have not but the most inamicable relationship to 98% of the empirical data.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:16 AM

LOL at A SIMPLE GUIDE TO "THE THEORY OF POKER". How much simpler does it have to be than TOP? You already made the complex simple in TOP, so don't "Highlander 2" it up.

=============================

50 hands, as part of an ongoing series.

50 at LHE
50 at FR NLHE
50 at 6-max NLHE
50 at HU NLHE
50 at Tourney - Early (then middle, then bubble, then ITM/final table)

you could even proceed into different stakes levels. OR even Stud, Razz and Omaha-ha-ha.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:15 AM

on 50 hands again...

Books that go through hand histories - like Harrington 3 or Phil Gordon's Little Blue Book, are very, very useful reads when you are past the beginner stage. The concentration on what and how you should be thinking is the value here, not the actual hands. I want the 50.

I think if you want to do a book that will CERTAINLY benefit poker players, it's got to be the 50 hands one.

I you want to provide something that MIGHT benefit society at large, then the algebra one.

Given your initial directive to think about what benefits the world at large the most, it's (regrettably for me) the algebra one which has a higher aim in the grand scheme, but carries more risk in succeeding.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:13 PM

#1: 50 POKER HANDS THAT REALLY TEACH YOU SOMETHING
This will probably help the poker community. It will sell, maybe not as much as your previous books, but it will sell. IMO This probably has the best EV.

#2: ALGEBRA FOR TEN YEAR OLDS
If you can get this to become popular enough, and if it works as well as you say it will, this will get you the most money, and will help humanity the most. You're probably taking a substancial risk here, though. But you'd be the one to tell.

#3 WHAT POKER TEACHES US:
This won't sell. You're aiming at a minority inside a minority of a minority. However if for some reason it becomes extremely popular (and I do mean extremely), it may change the way people look at poker. But it won't. Let's face it, best-case-scenario, a lot of poker players or people already interested in poker will read it. It's not likely to change the minds of many people who aren't fond of poker. I'd buy it, and this is the one I'd prefer to see, but this isn't about me.

#4 A SIMPLE GUIDE TO "THE THEORY OF POKER:
Simply put, dumb people are not interested in theory. Sure, you can shove it down their throats. But they won't buy your book. Forget it, a total waste of your time.

Just my opinion...
You probably know a lot more about how people react to books than I do.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:59 PM

What Poker Teach Us
Old 03-10-2007, 09:59 AM

how about just writing a book on how players can identify player types and how best to play back at them..
best hands to play back at them with,the best/worst flops.
Combine with the simple theory..
As a new player myself I am struggling to find info in a easy to follow way..I must be simple or dumb but I STILL want to get better..Poker starting hand guides for beginners and pot odds are useless without info on how to implement them.I get stuck by the vast array of playing styles and how to interpret there betting when the flop comes down.I want to play the players not the hands if that makes sense..