Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2007, 06:45 PM

Default Re: For atheists....how?

Moving into the future doesn't mean that you "cease to exist" any more than moving to the left or the right causes you to "cease to exist." The information describing your existence is a fixed property of the universe -- not something that just flies off to nowhere when you die. Your perception of the past flowing into the future is a consequence of the particular dynamics describing the universe.

By way of (probably insufficient) analogy, just because Darth Vader dies at the end of the Star Wars movies, doesn't mean that Darth Vader ceases being a property of the Star Wars movies. Those Star Wars movies will always be about Darth Vader.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:04 PM

bball is probably his best bet. I'm not even 6' tall and my impression is it sure sounds like he has an edge in the youth department. I definitely wouldn't be a 10 to 1 dog against an average person, but I have no way of knowing sieg's physical/athletic capabilities. However, I do have a pretty good idea of his intellectual capabilities.

In poker, I'd wager any amount up to a 60k loss on my end. The only reason I wouldn't wager more is the possibility of cheating. In chess, I'd probably go up to 25k depending on how he wants to work the odds and/or handicap.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Let's get away from Sitnhit for a minute since this was a thread for atheists to discuss nonexistence, not a thread for morons who are incapable of rational thought to tell us that they believe in the bible "because they do".

[/ QUOTE ]

I may be moronic sometimes but im not a moron.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:29 PM

Well, someone has a pair. What do you say to that, sieg?
Old 02-22-2007, 09:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, someone has a pair. What do you say to that, sieg?

[/ QUOTE ]

My prediction? Waffling by sober SAR followed by brash talk from drunk SAR.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My prediction? Waffling by sober SAR followed by brash talk from drunk SAR.

[/ QUOTE ]

Startling!
Old 02-22-2007, 10:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Didn't I just explain this three posts up? It's not that the actual act of not existing is scary. It's missing the chance to ever exist that's bothersome.

I'll give you an analogy. Does it bother you that you're not having sex right now? No? Me either. Now what about if you were castrated? Would that bother you? Knowing that you could never have sex for the rest of your life? That would be much more bothersome since you're missing out on something forever.

Now tell me what's worse. Missing out on sex or missing out on every aspect of existence? Every action and every thought. Pretty sure it would be the second one.

[/ QUOTE ]

But there's a key problem with your analogy. If you are castrated but alive, you are aware that you cannot have sex. Therefore, your loss effects you.

If you cease to exist, its irrelevent. You cannot feel the effects of your loss.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But there's a key problem with your analogy. If you are castrated but alive, you are aware that you cannot have sex. Therefore, your loss effects you.

If you cease to exist, its irrelevent. You cannot feel the effects of your loss.

[/ QUOTE ]
But you can while you're alive - and that's when he feels the fear. (Perhaps it's closer to being held in a cell, knowing you're about to be castrated. Presumably that would be scary.)
Old 02-23-2007, 12:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But you can while you're alive - and that's when he feels the fear. (Perhaps it's closer to being held in a cell, knowing you're about to be castrated. Presumably that would be scary.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Good analogy, but since we are all on "death row", so to speak, what's the point of wasting our current moments worrying about it? The executioner could come for us in 5 minutes or in many years. Either way, we won't be aware of it once it happens. So it seems self-defeating to spend precious time worrying about it.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good analogy, but since we are all on "death row", so to speak, what's the point of wasting our current moments worrying about it? The executioner could come for us in 5 minutes or in many years. Either way, we won't be aware of it once it happens. So it seems self-defeating to spend precious time worrying about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, and past a certain point, eustress becomes distress, but that doesn't mean my palms don't sweat when I'm about to go on stage. So, what can I do to mitigate the admittedly self-defeating fear I feel?*

*I don't have either stage-fright or fear of non-existence, but I like speaking in the first person.