Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2007, 11:54 AM

Default Re: Can a Christian play poker?

I'm a christian and I play poker. There is nothing wrong with the game as it isnt putting faith in luck as you play for a 'long run' winning profile. Christians believe games that are luck based regardless of the time played is bad as it is putting trust into something that is not God for a greed purpose. I also assure that there is nothing wrong with disco! that is fanatic to take things to that absurd level! Fanaticism is a problem in every religion and is what causes problems. I know many christians who play poker for money, it's a great game!
Old 03-02-2007, 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also if I could get any Bible scriptures about this is would be greatly appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was looking through the Bible and couldn't find any for you. But I stumbled upon some interesting rules in Exodus regarding the treatment of personal slaves. So if you happen to have any slaves bunking around your house, get back to me.

This thread would be worthwhile if there actually were a God. And to all my fellow atheists out there, I love you...in an ungodly atheistic way, of course.

Cheers.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:46 PM

STOP THIS THREAD NOW BEFORE IT GETS WORSE>

This thread:
> Yes they can.
> No they can't.
> Yes they can.
> LET ME EXPLAIN MY WHOLE SPIRITUAL PHILOSOPHY COOL HUH
> No they can't.
> Yes they can.
Old 03-02-2007, 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Almost per definition a christian poker player must be hypocritical. I'm not religious, but I was LMAO when I read the pastor listing the problems regarding being a christian and playing poker.

"2) Contributing to an industry that is a major factor in ruining lives. Answer: Now, this is a true problem for Christians. Can I really rejoice in a huge pot I took down if by doing so, the other guy is now bankrupt, losing his house, getting divorced, etc.? That's a tough one to live with."

I partly agree with this. He forgets to mention that "YOU" as a player directly are causing harm to others through taking their money, and uses formulations such as "an industry" and "taking down a huge pot".... Well if it makes u sleep at night...
This easily is a clear cut violation and disregard for fundamental christian values. But to my suprise and amusement his conclusion is "but u can still play poker for money". That does not make any sense to me. He does not explain how to counterfeit this violation of christian values. His conclusion does not fit with what he is saying. If one really regards one self as a christian, one just can not take money from people with financial troubles, gambling addiction and so forth and still call yourself a good christian. If u do, then I really believe that is pathetically hypocritical.

Sorry folks, and again I am not christian. I respect people with religious beliefs, but this kind of reformulating nonsense in order to justify taking money from other people (some of whom have large financial and psychological problems) and still be a "christian" is a bit provoking.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for that, AAKK...seriously. If you read all my posts, you'll see that I'm currently working through my own feelings vis-a-vis the Christian life and poker. I'm beginning to come to the conclusion that biblical principle and any kind of gambling, for the exact reasons I mentioned and that you cited, is mutually exclusive for a true follower of Jesus.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:59 PM

I used to be a Christian and play poker. I donated my winnings to charity and mainly just used it as a passtime. I think that's probably about the only way one can do it.

(In case anyone is wondering, in reference to my phrase "I used to be a Christian and play poker"...well...let's just say I didn't quit poker. Part of the reason I'm no longer a Christian is because of the radically different answers people 'recieve' from God. People have posted some prayer answers here; why do throngs of Christians seems to be getting conflicting info from above? Lucky I hadn't donated too much of my BR when I came out of spirituality.)

BTW for all you Christians who are trying to figure out if poker is bad for your relationship with God, it obviously is (or else you wouldn't be subconsioucly objecting) and you probably are mildly addicted to gambling since you are putting it before God despite your own logical objections. Sorry to say it.
Old 03-02-2007, 03:17 PM

I'm a born again christian & like to play poker too & I'd like to make one point to all of the haters (I'll use a term here that you young'uns can understand!!!) against Christianity in this thread. Several of you seemed to be determined to catch Passaman (or anybody else that professes a belief in Jesus Christ) in a paradox, a quandry, a lie if you will...about his beliefs & how they interact with poker. All he has done is stated what he feels & believes. He doesn't have all the answers. No one does. So stop with the nitpicking.

Is poker a sin? Depends on who you ask & how you look at it. But Passaman will be the first to tell you that he is a sinner the same as you & me. Confessing that & having faith is the first step. No born again christian will ever tell you that they don't sin.
Old 03-02-2007, 03:29 PM

Old 03-02-2007, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes I want to compete against the other guys and take their money, is this any different than regular 9-5 employment? If I don't take the money from the fishies, some other guy certainly will.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's an incredible argument for a so-called Christian to be making (FWIW, i'm not a christian). according to this logic, arms dealing and drug dealing, etc. are all OK.
the whole POINT is that you should have higher moral standards than a random "someone else". duh...
Old 03-02-2007, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a christian and I play poker. There is nothing wrong with the game as it isnt putting faith in luck as you play for a 'long run' winning profile. Christians believe games that are luck based regardless of the time played is bad as it is putting trust into something that is not God for a greed purpose. I also assure that there is nothing wrong with disco! that is fanatic to take things to that absurd level! Fanaticism is a problem in every religion and is what causes problems. I know many christians who play poker for money, it's a great game!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not particularly well versed in biblical teachings, but i would assume that the Christian objection to poker doesn't stem from the fact that it's based on luck, but rather the fact that fishes experience it to be (rather than believe it to be), and that this interferes in their lives in a negative way overall (i'm on a run, just one more orbit, i'm "due") not because it's "it is putting trust into something that is not God for a greed purpose" (whatever the hell that means)

The bible prescribes certain courses of action for logical reason. Think of the ten commandments: all perfectly valid moral precepts for leading a happy, fulfilled and morally upright life: don't be jealous, respect your mother and father, don't steal, lie, etc. the idea that the bible somehow has to be interpreted is quite frankly, moronic and leads to people doing silly things like not eating pork (there's a reason for this too: in very hot countries pork would go poisonous much more quickly than other meats, and therefore it was too dangerous for people to eat, hence the precept.) and donating money to the 700 CLub.
Old 03-02-2007, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
STOP THIS THREAD NOW BEFORE IT GETS WORSE>

This thread:
> Yes they can.
> No they can't.
> Yes they can.
> No they can't.
> Yes they can.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously not everyone in these forums is Christian, but we are all human (tho I have considered signing my dog up for an account [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ). Maybe the better question is "Is playing poker moral for anyone?" Assuming you are playing by the rules and not trying to cheat anyone, are there situations (like some mentioned in this thread) where it's amoral for you to be playing and would make you feel guilty?