Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2007, 07:07 PM

Default Re: Instant Classics

[ QUOTE ]
oasis: dont look back in anger

[/ QUOTE ]

such a great bar song when you are drunk with your buddies. Wonderwall is good but the whole album had some really solid tracks.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:12 PM

I'll throw out Sam Cooke - Another Saturday Night and Louis Armstrong - What a Wonderful World. Everybody knows of the latter, and loves it. Almost nobody knows of the former, yet has heard it countless times and loved it with each listen. Sam Cooke's A Change Is Gonna Come could qualify also, as it's probably more popular.

Otis Redding's - Sittin on the Dock of the Bay definately qualifies, as does many other old-school songs (Stand by Me, You Send Me, et al.)

For a more recent sound, The Fugee's cover of Killing Me Softly qualifies, i think. Metal songs are a tough bunch, as even the great ones are still too hard for mass appeal. I say either Got The Life or Enter Sandman are the only two in a long while to come close, but i still don't think they would qualify as instant classics outside the realm of rock and roll.

[ QUOTE ]
I think for every 2 times "Hey Ya" is mentioned, "Yeah" -Usher should be mentioned as well. That song is just as mainstream and recognized by everyone that knows Outkast.

Maybe it's cause I am from New Jersey, but Livin On A Prayer, would be a staple in such discussion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely wrong. The song is mentioned because people who hate rap like the song. People who never heard of Outkast like the song. People who love 'real hip-hop' and can't stand mainstream rap like the song. Sure you can find a few hundred rap songs that are 'better', but none that have the same reach as Hey Yea.

edit:

i'm gonna add Sam Cook - Wonderful World to the list.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:15 PM

The first paragraph of your post, a long with a bunch of stuff by the supremes, takes my back to riding in my dad's truck when I was 8 or 9, he listened to all that stuff.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:17 PM

Jump / Runnin' With the Devil - Van Halen
Freebird - Lynyrd Skynard
You Really Got Me - Kinks
Old 02-13-2007, 07:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The first paragraph of your post, a long with a bunch of stuff by the supremes, takes my back to riding in my dad's truck when I was 8 or 9, he listened to all that stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

? As far as i know, all of those songs were originals (unless you mean, The Supremes doing covers of them)
Old 02-13-2007, 08:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How can

"Welcome to the Jungle" by Guns N Roses not have already been mentioned?

The moment that hit the airwaves it was a classic - "sweet child of mine" not so much... but appetite was an instant classic album

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not quite sure I understand this thread, but I think "Sweet Child O' Mine" fits the idea of "genre transcending" more than "Welcome" (I like both songs pretty equally). Might have more appeal cause it's basically a ballad, also.

Alicia Keys - Fallin' (when I first heard it I just assumed it was a cover of an Arethra song or something)

Al Green - Let's Stay Together

Not sure how "Don't Stop Believing" is in the mix - I like Journey alot, but it reeks of 80s "pop-rock" and I know plenty of people who do not like it (although if this thread is about finding like, the quintessence of each genre, then that's a good choice).

KKF - Don't Look Back In Anger is a great song.

-Al
Old 02-13-2007, 10:00 PM

I got you/I feel good-James Brown.

I'm not sure how we all missed this one given that the OP started with sex machine.

What about Elvis? Is Hound Dog a good choice? Before I got into Elvis, this is the song I heard and knew.

Johnny B Goode-Chuck Berry is another classic. Although, I might be missing a more obvious choice.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:14 PM

Aint nuthin but a G-Thang -- Dr Dre

I think everyone is pretty much down with this song.

Can't argue with its timelessness.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Good Vibrations - Beach Boys - is there a better pop song?

[/ QUOTE ]
Wouldn't it be nice and kokomo
Old 02-13-2007, 10:34 PM

I Get Around is actually my favorite by them.