Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: aba is my king
yers 59 60.20%
BASTARD 39 39.80%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 12:34 PM

Default Re: General Music Discussion Thread (a.k.a. indie lovefest)

I'm not sure how "indie" this band really is but I think a lot of people here might dig this band:

They're a 3-piece from Ohio and have sort of a grunge-garage sounds I guess. I love Erika Wennerstrom voice and the odd vocal melodies she chooses. Their newest album is streaming on their website and it's really great.

Wiki-wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heartless_Bastards
The Hype Machine: Heartless Bastards

Claunchy I'd love to hear any more rec's or reviews you might have - I'm loving Dismemberment Plan's 'Emergency and I' disc thanks to you!
Old 02-12-2007, 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Out of curiousity I'd be interested to know what people's sources are to find music out there. I have a buddy in the industry that tips me off, my big blog mainstays are Brooklyn Vegan and Stereogum. Anyone else have any good recommendations for souces.

One more album that has been burning up my ipod lately which I'm sure most of you PAvement fans are familiar with:

I'm not a huge fan of pitchfork but this review really nailed it giving the album a 9.9.

Last year David Berman finally toured with this band for the first time ever, perhaps the best and most endearing live show I have ever attended.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a fantastic fantastic call- pitchfork has some odd ratings but this is spot on
Old 02-12-2007, 12:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
nath,

"Here's my take on Pitchfork: The reviews aren't always accurate-- they miss some good albums sometimes, for dumb reasons-- but if they say an album is very good, it never fails. That said, most of the writing on the site is completely insufferable."

Word. There are so many times I have read a review of theirs in which they bashed an album and came away thinking the album could still possibly be great but their percentage of great reviews to great albums is damn high.

Now what does make me laugh is when they give a 9.9, wtf. It must have been a misused snare on track 6 to deduct .1 obviously!

[/ QUOTE ]
Miles Davis Kind Of Blue is a 10, spot on there
Old 02-12-2007, 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Out of curiousity I'd be interested to know what people's sources are to find music out there. I have a buddy in the industry that tips me off, my big blog mainstays are Brooklyn Vegan and Stereogum. Anyone else have any good recommendations for souces.

One more album that has been burning up my ipod lately which I'm sure most of you PAvement fans are familiar with:

I'm not a huge fan of pitchfork but this review really nailed it giving the album a 9.9.

Last year David Berman finally toured with this band for the first time ever, perhaps the best and most endearing live show I have ever attended.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a fantastic fantastic call- pitchfork has some odd ratings but this is spot on

[/ QUOTE ]

FYI: Silver Jews will be having a documentry debuting at SxSW this year about the shows they performed in the middle east. I'm am really looking forward to it. Seeing David Berman read his lyrics because he was fairly nervous while on stage and getting a kiss from his wife was one of the most emotional live moments I've ever seen at a concert.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:15 PM

I'll second that recommendation. There was a few weeks this fall where All This Time and Neko Case's Fox Confessor album were pretty much all I listened to.
Old 02-12-2007, 03:02 PM

Anybody familiar with Anti-Anti by Snowden? I've heard a couple of songs off of it from Pandora and it sounds pretty awesome. Confirm?

Just had my first listen to the new Bloc Party album. It's doing a lot less for me than the first one on the first listen. After three or four more listens, maybe I'll have a better idea about whether I like it or not.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:33 PM

I saw Snowden a month or two ago opening for Forward Russia. They put on a decent show but it didn't really stand out. I kind of feel the same way about their CD. The songs pretty much all seem to range between decent and pretty good.

Forward Russia was a lot more fun... although the lead singer was a little scary. He kept spinning/throwing the mic all over the place and also wandered out into the crowd (it was a smallish club and it wasn't packed as it was really cold outside and on a Wednesday night)
Old 02-12-2007, 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
also for a while i got into that sort of shoegaze/noise/low-fi sort of stuff. ive hit up most of the notable names, wondering what else is out there

Mogwai
M83
A Silver Mt. Zion
Godspeed! You Black Emperor
My Bloody Valentine

etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

You might want to look into Beach House (self-titled), it's somewhat along those lines but different enough that it might keep your interest.

Nath -
I really like the Peter, Bjorn & John album - also, Girl Talk did a solid remix of "Let's Call It Off" that you can find here (myspace download). [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Girlf Talk

Recently the following have been in heavy rotation for me:

-Of Montreal, "Hissing Fauna ... " - I second all the raves from everyone else, just awesome
-Lifter Puller, "Fiestas & Fiascos" - I loved the new Hold Steady album, and so I've started getting more and more into Finn's earlier band . . . different, but solid
-Pernice Brothers, "Live a Little" - Mass's finest
Old 02-12-2007, 05:56 PM

Seems like a good thread to note my pleasure that Sebadoh, in its original form, is touring again. Love me the Lou Barlow.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:04 PM

Okay, next album.

About - Bongo

Possibly the best Dutch album of 2006. Actually, definitely the best Dutch album of 2006. In my iLIKETRAINS review the references to other bands were numerous. About is like nothing else I've got. Maybe... they have the energy of The Thermals... the roughness of Sonic Youth... some Prodigy influences and a nice whimsical side. The only ambition About seems to have is to rock. And rock they do... do you think you can resist chanting "Rockstar boyfriend, rockstar boyfriend, we rock the microphone, 1, 2, 3, 4, what's my name..."? I doubt it.

Listen to:
Think Niles Drink.
Tough Cookie (Live)

And after you listen, go see them at SXSW or in NY.
Closed Thread