Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2007, 03:45 PM

Default Re: The Sushi Thread

[ QUOTE ]
I love tempura, but my "the sushi should be cold" thing makes tempura rolls somewhat a turnoff to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, I thought you were referring to tempura in general, not tempura rolls.

[ QUOTE ]
The firmness of the rice doesn't bother me at all. Does the flavor of the rice really vary that much between hot and cold?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just as higher temperatures act to enhance flavors, cold tends to mute them. Sushi rice is generally flavored with vinegar, salt and sugar (mixtures vary depending on sushi chef), much of this flavor is lost when the rice is chilled.

[ QUOTE ]

I think part of my liking the cold better is the firmness of the raw fish when it's cold versus the "mushyness" of it when it turns less cold from being in contact with the rice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fresh fish shoud not be mushy. I think that could just be the quality of fish that is used in the sushi you've had. Fish used in sushi is usually stored in countertop refrigerators until the moment of preparation, and the rice should be cooled to body-temperatureish. Granted when refrigerated, fish is firmer than without refrigeration, it should by no means be mushy.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:03 PM

If you live in the Bay Area, please go try Akane in Los Altos. Easily some of the best sushi in the country. Eat at the Sushi Bar. Owner is credited for "creating" the Dragon Roll so popularized around the country.

Other opinions ?
Old 01-30-2007, 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Diablo,

Kaygetsu in Menlo Park is the best sushi in the Bay Area. Trust me. Unfortunately, it's been discovered and now you need reservations 2 weeks+ in advance. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Sushi Groove South is fun and good, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kaygetsu is less than a mile from the house. The owner ran a restaurant on El Camino a few years ago, and started this new restaurant at Sharon. It is too expensive for the quality, and frankly, his chef's cuts of fish are sub-par. The quality of fish no doubt is top tier, but being a sushi chef is its own art, and frankly their cuts alter the texture of the fish IMO for the worse.

Akane in Los Altos, try them in the same week and get back to us. Divine? Have some of their toro
Old 01-30-2007, 04:16 PM

Good lists for LA. Nozawa and Sasabune are my faves. A great date place if you're in the area is Azami on Melrose -- sushi is very good, but more importantly it's run by chick sushi chefs, and the women do dig that.

Jonathan Gold, for my $ one of the great food writers, wrote an LA sushi column 2 yrs ago:

http://www.laweekly.com/eat+drink/dining/raw-power/506/

I don't agree with all he wrote but worth reading, as are all his pieces if you live in LA. On chowhound, Gold posts as 'Condiment'. Kiriko on Sawtelle/Olympic has excellent fish but too often it's very very slow.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
#2 Squid (if good, taste like chewy soap if not)

[/ QUOTE ]

Thus the bane of my existence. It's far too difficult to find quality ika. It's almost as if there's some (extremely popular) school of sushi chefs who actually think it should be dull and mealy.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think the rice temperature is a part of a specific style in some cases, though. The Nozawa -> Sasabune -> Echigo protege "chain" all serve warm rice. I've only been to Echigo, but it was very good.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've wondered this too. I'd never had warm rice before Sasabune and Echigo, but I love it now. Does anyone know if it's a school or regional thing?
Old 01-30-2007, 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I think the rice temperature is a part of a specific style in some cases, though. The Nozawa -> Sasabune -> Echigo protege "chain" all serve warm rice. I've only been to Echigo, but it was very good.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've wondered this too. I'd never had warm rice before Sasabune and Echigo, but I love it now. Does anyone know if it's a school or regional thing?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure it is a style that is popular in a certain part of Japan (Kyoto, if I remember correctly), but not Tokyo. Personally, once I tried the warm rice style used at Sasabune, Echigo, Nozawa, and Urasawa, there was no going back.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:53 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

i just called stagnaro brothers, who own a few boats and have a fresh fish market on the end of the santa cruz wharf. he says that all of their fish is safe to eat raw and the tuna is like 16.95 a pound. ill probably stop by and pick some up on the way home tonight. yum yum chow meow.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is a good place right next to Tottenham Court Rd tube. Entrance is down the stairs practically next to the tube entrance. I forget the name. It seemed pretty popular though, shouldn't be hard to find someone who knows it.

I also liked Asukusa in Mornington Cresent, if you are ever in that area. There were some mid-range places in Chinatown that were pretty good for the price too.

KJS

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks.. I'll check that out this weekend or so.

Ended up going to Miyama tonight (http://www.london-eating.co.uk/1983.htm). Was 85 quid for two people, and the fish was definitely the best I've had. Definitely gets my recommendation.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:22 AM

what kind of tuna are they getting out of santa cruz now? i know the boats out of san diego get down to baja and pick up bluefin and yellowfin, but I thought the tuna up here was all albies.