Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2007, 08:10 PM

Default Re: Helpful Hints For Random Things Thread

When at a party and trying to invite a girl(s) over, don't find a place to call her that is quiet. Find the loudest place in the party so you have to shout and you can't hear her. They will be far more likely to come over if it sounds wild.

When at a four way stop sign and turning left, with a car approaching, don't use your turn signal. That way you both casually roll through, and you can just turn around him. If you put your signal on he will stop and hesitate, costing you both precious time.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When at a party and trying to invite a girl(s) over, don't find a place to call her that is quiet. Find the loudest place in the party so you have to shout and you can't hear her. They will be far more likely to come over if it sounds wild.

When at a four way stop sign and turning left, with a car approaching, don't use your turn signal. That way you both casually roll through, and you can just turn around him. If you put your signal on he will stop and hesitate, costing you both precious time.

[/ QUOTE ]

First one is a great idea, second one, WTF? That's gotta be fun if you both want to turn but nobody signals. Here's a tip everyone: always signal! Everyone can save time because everyone knows where everyone is going and can make their moves accordingly. None of the "Oh [censored], he's not going straight, he's turning" moments. If we both are turning and we both have signals on, we can drive with little worry about running into eachother.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
When taking the SAT or any standardized test with a similar scoring system, always guess. It's set up so that a random guess will be neutral EV. I think, whether consciously or not, my guesses or those of any reasonably smart person will be slightly better than random (maybe you can eliminate the dumbest choice, or you just have a feeling, or whatever), so by not guessing you're "leaving money on the table."

Only drawbacks are increased variance (which could be something you want, depending on situation/ability to retake/etc.) and the small amount of time it takes to pick a guess and fill it out.

[/ QUOTE ]

It may have changed since I took it, but I'm very sure that you need to be able to eliminate at least one of the answers for what you are saying to be correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAT#Questions

I have no idea whether or not it's changed since you took it, but I know what it's like now, for I am young.

-There are 5 choices, a through e.
-Wrong answer = -.25 points
-Right answer = 1 point

So you're risking .25 to win 1. You're getting 4-1 odds. A random answer is 4-1 against being right. Thus, even money.

You have to eliminate one of the answers to have a guaranteed +EP guess; maybe that's what you remember?

This is something I'm surprisingly passionate about, because two years ago when I was in the midst of all this stuff I heard so many misconceptions and so much advice to the effect of "don't guess unless you're sure." This is costing people for no reason.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:25 PM

This works for me and the rest of the family, but i'm no doctor so can't guarantee the same results for you.

But

If you have a sore throat, have one of these:

The Juice from 1/2 a lemon
A single whiskey
A big table spoon of honey (the runny kind)
Fill the rest of the mug with hot water.

Mix til the honey has dissolved and drink.

Another remedy, this time for colds:

If you usually sleep with two pillows but have a blocked nose, take one away. Your head will be at a more horizontal angle and so mucus will go down the throat instead of clogging up the nose.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:30 PM

Reminds me of that episode of The West Wing:

Lord Marbury : You know, there are some marvelous flu remedies known in the certain remote parts of the subcontinent. Licorice root, for instance, combined with bamboo sap and a strong shot of whiskey. Ginger root, also, mixed with, uh, citrus peel.
Bartlet : And a strong shot of whiskey?
Lord Marbury : Yes, of course. In fact, you can throw out the ginger root and citrus peel, and still be well on your way.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:54 PM

If you're stuck for a present for a loved one or friend, i.e. you forgot their birthday, mothers day etc.. or have no money:

A cd you've made containing some of their favourite songs make excellent thoughtful gifts.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're stuck for a present for a loved one or friend, i.e. you forgot their birthday, mothers day etc.. or have no money:

A cd you've made containing some of their favourite songs make excellent thoughtful gifts.

[/ QUOTE ]
Oral sex also works.

It should be noted that I do not give presents for Mother's and Father's day.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
When taking the SAT or any standardized test with a similar scoring system, always guess. It's set up so that a random guess will be neutral EV. I think, whether consciously or not, my guesses or those of any reasonably smart person will be slightly better than random (maybe you can eliminate the dumbest choice, or you just have a feeling, or whatever), so by not guessing you're "leaving money on the table."

Only drawbacks are increased variance (which could be something you want, depending on situation/ability to retake/etc.) and the small amount of time it takes to pick a guess and fill it out.

[/ QUOTE ]

It may have changed since I took it, but I'm very sure that you need to be able to eliminate at least one of the answers for what you are saying to be correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAT#Questions

I have no idea whether or not it's changed since you took it, but I know what it's like now, for I am young.

-There are 5 choices, a through e.
-Wrong answer = -.25 points
-Right answer = 1 point

So you're risking .25 to win 1. You're getting 4-1 odds. A random answer is 4-1 against being right. Thus, even money.

You have to eliminate one of the answers to have a guaranteed +EP guess; maybe that's what you remember?

This is something I'm surprisingly passionate about, because two years ago when I was in the midst of all this stuff I heard so many misconceptions and so much advice to the effect of "don't guess unless you're sure." This is costing people for no reason.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm 26 and this looks to be the same breakdown.

You are right that I was thinking for a +EV situation. Of course I went to Catholic school, hence the anti-gambling, bird-in-the-hand..., type of mentality that probably had to do with their theory.

BTW I was also a guesser and definitely think it helped me.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:19 PM

- Another commonly known sore throat remedy: Gargle salt water for 30 seconds. It works wonders.

- A worker at Chipotle will 'scramble' the contents of your burrito up if you ask. It is much better than getting bites that are only rice or bean.

- Another common one; if you have a bloody nose, don't tilt your head back. Apply pressure on your nose just below the level of your pupils.

- Putting bags of salt or kitty litter in the back of your car/truck/SUV will give you better traction in winter weather driving.

- If you're in school, most software companies have lower rates for students.

- A general rule for college classes; the ease of class is proportional to the amount of time spent on the syllabus. If you walk in and the Prof says, "Here is the syllabus, the book is at the bookstore" and starts teaching, you're probably screwed.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:46 PM

Another thing for college classes: sign up for a few more than you plan on taking. Go to the first class or two of each one, then drop down to your desired amount of hours. You'll end up with a higher quality mix than if you had just signed up for x amount of hours and been stuck.