Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2007, 11:01 PM

Default Re: Official 2006-2007 College Hockey Thread

I feel your pain Bob.

Cornell was bounced tonight as well. And obviously no at-large for us.
Old 03-10-2007, 11:30 PM

WTF @ the Gophers allowing Alaska to tie up the game and send it into overtime.
Old 03-10-2007, 11:49 PM

Well yeah, Cornell isn't even close.

Miami was closing in on #1 in the country at one point. And all they had to do was beat 8th place Lake State at home and they probably are looking okay for an at-large since i think they would be around 10th or 11th or so in the RPI.

They didn't have to win the whole thing.
Just advance on their home-ice and they're looking decent.

Miami's pulled some weird folds in the playoffs a couple times.
Although this 8th place Lake State team might be a bit deceiving as they are 22nd in the RPI and have an overall record of 21-17-3 so they aren't exactly cellar-dweller caliber.

I think it was 99 that Miami finished 2nd in the conference and got swept at home by #9 Bowling Green once again leaving them out of the NCAA tourney.

I think Enrico Blasi is an awesome head-coach and they've had plenty of NCAA appearances and are consistently ranked in the top 10 so that speaks volumes of course.
But somehow they seem to have had a few more Feb and playoff letdowns than what you would like.

Minnie is struggling vs. Alaska-Anchorage?
Man, this could be a crazy field of 16.
Truly any of those teams from the big conferences can beat any other of those teams.

Did somebody say National Champion Notre Dame Fighting Irish? It could actually happen.

Last place Alabama-Huntsville is in the championship game of their conference after upsetting Niagara.
UAH are 51st out of 59 D1 teams in the RPI and this is AFTER they moved up a couple notches after their big win.
Old 03-10-2007, 11:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
WTF @ the Gophers allowing Alaska to tie up the game and send it into overtime.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugliest game I've seen them play all year. 2-1 overtime loss to AA.

/edit this is only the first round of the WCHA playoffs though, which is a best of three series so hopefully the Gophers can pull their heads out of their asses by tomorrow...
Old 03-11-2007, 01:16 PM

Michigan finishes off Northern with an 8-3 win, following a 4-1 win the night before. Hensick finishes his career at Yost with a hat trick and an assist to tie himself for the NCAA points lead. Hobey Baker to follow? Also, was this Jack Johnson's last game at Yost?

We win another match-up (I think this is #6) vs. Sparty, whom we haven't played particularly well against this season. We're probably locked into a 3 seed either way, although I guess we could get a 2 if we win the tourney. The D is still too sloppy, but otherwise the team is solid.

I still can't believe that Notre Dame is a serious title contender. I understand it logically, but my mind won't accept it. Sure, they swept us this year, but I can't shake the feeling that if we play them in the NCAA's we can take care of them.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:02 PM

Basically making this my own personal thread (I wish there were additional titles above Carpal/'Tunnel to aspire to), but does anyone know when the Hobey finalists/semifinalists are announced? IIRC, the winner is announced during the FF.
Old 03-17-2007, 11:12 PM

Did anyone just watch the Gophers vs. NDSU WCHA championship game? Blake Wheeler's overtime goal was one of the craziest things I've ever seen!
Old 03-17-2007, 11:24 PM

Eff it. Lost 2-1 to the MFing Irish. Sauer played well but allowed a very bad goal for the GW. Should be a 2 seed playing ND at Grand Rapids, Minn as the 1. Could have drawn better but what are you gonna do? In any event, being in Grand Rapids is the important thing: should have a good crowd advantage.

Also, it's funny how perceptions work. We're 0-3 against ND yet I fear them far less than most other teams we could face. Part of that is we were short-handed the first two games (no Jack, no Dest), part of it is that they've sucked so long that I can't believe they're good. But hey, they're a good team and deserve what they've won. As much as I hate them, gotta admit they have a damn good squad.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:51 PM

NCAA hockey selection show on at 2:30 eastern on ESPN2.

Coming up in just 40 minutes from this post.

maniac - not positive on the order for Hobey Baker finalists or semis. But I'm pretty sure you are correct that the winner is announced sometime over Frozen Four weekend.

Between periods of one of the games I think but I can't remember if it's in the semi's or the championship.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:53 PM

college hockey fans - this thread isn't so fabulous because there just aren't a lot of us with muich to contribute.

If you are really interested in getting into this stuff (like finding out when the hobey Baker finalist's are announced) you can dig around on the USCHO.com site.

It really is pretty awesome on their college hockey coverage which is pretty obviously tough to get anywhere else a lot of the time.