Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2006, 12:25 AM

Default Re: ****Official Tigers versus Oakland Thread*****

just got back from the game. if you had asked me before the game started that the a's would touch up verlander for 4 runs in 5 1/3 innings i would have been very pleased, but loaiza picked a great time to suck balls.

main focus for the a's has to be to get it back to oakland and take it from there. that starts with harden in game 3. reports say he got lit up during a rehab start, so we have to sort of hold our breath to see which harden shows up. AAA pitcher or dominant ace.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:29 AM

Dominant ace, please [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] how many innings/pitches should we be able to expect if he's not lit up?
Old 10-12-2006, 12:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Dominant ace, please [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] how many innings/pitches should we be able to expect if he's not lit up?

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably six at the most, then Blanton/Duke will come in depending on the gamestate.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Leyland plays Neifi and they win the game. Leyland uses his best relief to protect a 5 run game and goes to the other guys in a 2-3 run game. Tigers up 2-0. Genious.

[/ QUOTE ]

Leyland making stupid decisions does not necessarily mean they win the game for him. Correlation != Causation.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a definite correlation between putting Gomez in the lineup and that 2-run homer he hit.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:48 AM

^^ still it prob should be an immediate you lose your job if Neifi bats higher than 8th at any point .260 OP% represent
Old 10-12-2006, 01:52 AM

But he's scrappy.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:54 AM

I just got back from the game. not much I can really say. The tigers are outplaying Oakland, although Leyland is definitely doing his best to sabotage it. It's really disappointing to see the bats of Swisher and Thomas (and Scutaro) go quiet. I can only hope the idiotic broadcasters are giving Milton Bradley the credit he's due and are focusing less on his perceived negatives.

Why wasn't Duchscherer in today to pitch the 7th/8th?

I'm getting more and more fed up with Chavez every game.

I'm cautiously optimistic that we can take two in Detroit and let me go see some more postseason baseball, and there's no one in baseball I'd rather have on the hill for us friday than Harden.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:32 AM

Location: /goggles fill up with tears / oh crap hold on can\'t see anything

not putting shelton on the roster is double-edged, as they not only don't have a backup first baseman, but picked their worst(!) utility infielder to replace casey in the lineup, then batted him at the top.

leyland is a smart guy. maybe he will eventually realize that guillen is ideally suited to bat higher than fifth, and that neifi is ideally suited to clear land mines left over from wars in cambodia.

casey being out for exactly the length of the ALCS is the worst possible result. now they won't have shelton in the world series either.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Leyland plays Neifi and they win the game. Leyland uses his best relief to protect a 5 run game and goes to the other guys in a 2-3 run game. Tigers up 2-0. Genious.

[/ QUOTE ]

Leyland making stupid decisions does not necessarily mean they win the game for him. Correlation != Causation.

[/ QUOTE ]
Every sabremetric related material I have read has minimized the role of managers, and yet you sabremetric guys keep complaining about every little decision they make.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
is it me or is oakland asking for time in this game more often than any team ever has? maybe they have a scouting report that verlander gets rattled easily by that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Verlander likes to work very fast, perhaps they were trying to mess up his rhythm.

And Perez does suck, why wasn't Infante in the game?!?