Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 12:17 PM

Default Re: Where\'s Our Statement

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Cubswin:

[ QUOTE ]
it seems like a waste of your money and your lawyers time.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is a waste of money, and our attorney fees are very high, and it is also a waste of our attorney's time since we can't accomplish anything anyway. But we do listen to the concerns that people have on this site and in this case we thought it was worth the time and expense.

Best wishes,
mason

[/ QUOTE ]

At the risk of stating the obvious, Mason, the people on this site wanted you and Two Plus Two to use your considerable resources and influence to do something about this bill BEFORE it became a law. We're screwed now, but thanks anyway.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We don't plan to do anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gee, really? That's a shock.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:42 PM

There seems to be few of us in this thread (or any other threads in this forum) that understand the political process and why the method itself used to pass this bill was neither good, bad nor unusual.

Whether you think the Unlawful Internet Gambling Bill is good, bad or indifferent is unimportant. What is important is your vote at the polls this November. Personally since I prefer B&M poker over internet poker this bill will be good for me so I will be voting Republican at every opportunity. You may disagree with my decision and opinion but I am being no more selfish in my perspective than the people who think this bill is a disaster for them personally.

Use the democratic process to protest, no amount of crying on an internet forum will get your marbles back. If they aren't already gone they are rolling away faster than you are able to scoop them up and carry them home. I suggest the former internet pros get real world jobs for a little while to supplement your income. BTW, good luck with that, it requires initiative as well as leaving your bedroom.

I see no compelling reason requiring for Mason nor anyone else formally associated with 2+2 Publishing to express his (or her) personal or professional opinion. For those that have criticized him keep in mind that the teeny weeny bit of income this bill may or may not cost you personally it will have a much greater impact on Mason and 2+2. Insulting him for being late with a public statement is pure vitriol and furthers your cause not one iota. The fact that you are being allowed to be ignorant and abusive is admirable on the part of 2+2 and should be acknowledged and applauded IMHO.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There seems to be few of us in this thread (or any other threads in this forum) that understand the political process and why the method itself used to pass this bill was neither good, bad nor unusual.

Whether you think the Unlawful Internet Gambling Bill is good, bad or indifferent is unimportant. What is important is your vote at the polls this November. Personally since I prefer B&M poker over internet poker this bill will be good for me so I will be voting Republican at every opportunity. You may disagree with my decision and opinion but I am being no more selfish in my perspective than the people who think this bill is a disaster for them personally.

Use the democratic process to protest, no amount of crying on an internet forum will get your marbles back. If they aren't already gone they are rolling away faster than you are able to scoop them up and carry them home. I suggest the former internet pros get real world jobs for a little while to supplement your income. BTW, good luck with that, it requires initiative as well as leaving your bedroom.

I see no compelling reason requiring for Mason nor anyone else formally associated with 2+2 Publishing to express his (or her) personal or professional opinion. For those that have criticized him keep in mind that the teeny weeny bit of income this bill may or may not cost you personally it will have a much greater impact on Mason and 2+2. Insulting him for being late with a public statement is pure vitriol and furthers your cause not one iota. The fact that you are being allowed to be ignorant and abusive is admirable on the part of 2+2 and should be acknowledged and applauded IMHO.

[/ QUOTE ]
what a weenie
Old 10-05-2006, 01:39 PM

Responding to multiple posts.

[ QUOTE ]
Have you never seen a political cartoon with GWB with horns and a pitchfork? Do you email the cartoonist and point out that Satan is a fallen angel, whereas GWB is a politician and the cartoon is inaccurate? Of course not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Depictions of Satan don't target a particular ethnic group (or appear to).

[ QUOTE ]
i guess i'm naive, but i thought we lived in a country where having an insulting avatar, talking about hookers and blow, and otherwise expressing yourself was still ok.

this poker legislation just reminds me of how repressed and puritanical everyone is around here.

obv. you have a point about the image we present, but i want to live in a country where i can be myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Every freedom comes with the possibility of the abuse. No one is saying you can't have these avatars (well ok someone did but he's wrong [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ), just that it's dumb and tasteless to do so. The KKK's opinions are awful, but if we want free speech we have to put up with them.

I think no words should be taboo. And by that I mean curse words, racial slurs, gay slurs, things that offend the handicapped or religious, whatever. Yet I choose not to say a lot of these things, not because I think there's any morality or logic behind it, but because I don't believe in pissing people off unless I have a good reason.

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, how did this turn into "waiting for Masons statement" to "that Frist Nazi avatar offends me"

[/ QUOTE ]

I flat out said it doesn't offend me at all. It bothers me that it's appeared on at least one news story related to the bill. I don't like the idea of people who don't care about the legislation one way or the other seeing something so tasteless and being turned off to our side.
Old 10-05-2006, 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hi flair:

[ QUOTE ]
Butin this time which many consider a "crisis" it is natural for people to look to their mentors for guidance. Thus far you and David have not been there.

[/ QUOTE ]

We haven't been there because it's not what we do. Politics and how to influence it is something that we have no knowledge about and no capability. We're much better at how to play a poker hand or some other aspect of gambling.

What we did do was to create this site and work very hard at maintaining it. It has allowed many people to communicate with each other on this topic, and basically everything I know about the bill comes from reading here. Don't expect anything else.

best wishes,
Mason

[/ QUOTE ]

Mr K's Very good post

[/ QUOTE ]

Mr K, you are the man. Your points about no official 2+2 action recently is right on.

Mason, this statement is fair and what I was looking for.
Old 10-05-2006, 02:09 PM

before you can protect a right, you have to establish that something is a right. the debates and discussions on most of these forums have been, in some measure, unproductive due to the failure to make this distinction. instances of establishing rights abound in the history of 20th century america................b
Old 10-05-2006, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Depictions of Satan don't target a particular ethnic group (or appear to).

[/ QUOTE ]

When did Nazis become an ethnic group? Did Bill Frist sneak that in as a rider to a must-pass bill as well?
Old 10-05-2006, 02:14 PM

All,

To me it largely feels like Mason is just saying "We're not going to take any official positions until we know all the facts. If at that point we feel like we are well-informed and there is some course of action that should be taken for the good of the entire industry, we will make a statement accordingly."

A lot of people participating in these threads don't know very much about what the legislation actually means, nor do they have any info about what the PPA or other organizations actually do or stand for. Maybe some of these organizations really are advocates for the good of all poker players, but on the other hand perhaps they have some vested interest in the outcomes.

I don't think it's unreasonable at all for Mason and company to take their time before making any "official" statements about their thoughts on these matters.
Old 10-05-2006, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Fish:

[ QUOTE ]
However, if your statement is about what you and 2+2 will do to protect the rights of poker players in the future, I would be very interested in your plans and opinions.

[/ QUOTE ]

We don't plan to do anything. It's not what we do and we don't have the capability or the knowhow to do anything anyway. Our area of expertise is how to play poker hands and other aspects of gambling. It's not politics. We happen to be honest about what we can and can't do. So I wouldn't hold your breath expecting something dramatic from us.

Best wishes,
Mason

[/ QUOTE ]

That is one weak assed stance.
Closed Thread