Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2006, 04:48 PM

Default Re: Ask KJS what\'s not so great about living in Thailand

[ QUOTE ]
Man, you are really hating Thailand.

Thailand is a DEVELOPING COUNTRY. Meaning, without all these farang pumping cash into the economy it wouldnt be where it is today. Yes, there are problems, but these will iron out over time.

No place in the world is perfect but you seem to really hate thailand. Must be cause you were traveling with an American chick.

[/ QUOTE ]

idiot alert
Old 10-01-2006, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I love Thailand and Thai people and Thai culture.

I did not love the foreigners who were there trampling on that culture and acting liked they own the place even though they are guests in the country. And I did not like that the culture acquiesces to this behavior so it can protect the revenue stream. I can understand why they did, but it bothered me.

If there was even one comment in the other thread saying "I would like to move to Thailand so I can learn something, teach something, share something, make a meaninful connection with someone" I would not be so over the top in my comments.

But it just brought back a lot of feelings of disappointment that Western people see it as a playground for sex and booze and don't go there with the attitude that maybe they should respect the people and the culture, which is actually quite antithetical to a lifestyle of sex, drugs and rock and roll.

So for the 400th time, it is not Thailand that I hate. It is how the foreigners act there and the culture *those actions* have created there. They are very very separate things.

KJS

[/ QUOTE ]

For the record I did, I'm interested in muay thai, thai cooking,thai massage, and meditation.
Old 10-01-2006, 05:09 PM

This thread is great. KJS rules. I have never been to Thailand, but I've been to several third world countries that were experiencing similar things and agree with his critique.

KJS: I had a friend who went to Thailand and starting dating this girl. She worshipped him, tried to get him to stay, cooked cleaned etc. On his last day there she cried and cried-- freaked out when he left for the airport. Right before he left her best friend was hanging out with him while she bawled in the next room, and put the moves on him. He was disturbed by that, as well as by the overreaction of his chick.

He came away feeling that personal relationships between Americans and Thai girls are very problematic, since they don't just see you as a person, but as a ticket to a mythical promised land. This girlfriend refused to take money from him, since she wasn't a sex worker. She didn't even want him buying dinner. But she wanted him to marry her. Even if they genuinely like you, the whole extra-helpings sex-puppy thing is part of a heartfelt desire to escape their own situation. This grossed my friend out, moreso because of his taking advantage of it.

Do you think this is rare, or standard, or in between? Have you seen extremes of this power dynamic?

2+2 is still better than all other poker-related message boards vis-a-vis blinged out teenagers being proudly dumb,
--GA
Old 10-01-2006, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Man, you are really hating Thailand.

Thailand is a DEVELOPING COUNTRY. Meaning, without all these farang pumping cash into the economy it wouldnt be where it is today. Yes, there are problems, but these will iron out over time.

No place in the world is perfect but you seem to really hate thailand. Must be cause you were traveling with an American chick.

[/ QUOTE ]

idiot alert

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm... Watch a Commanding Heights or two man.
Old 10-01-2006, 05:14 PM

"since they don't just see you as a person, but as a ticket to a mythical promised land."

This is going to be about the millionth time I mentioned this but there is a big difference between BKK and the rest of Thailand. People born in BKK are more likely to be middle class or high class. It is very easy for a person to come to Thailand and meet girls who are fluent in english and are not hurting for money. The streets in BKK are packed with $100000 BMW's. Deg mentioned several times that you are better off meeting girl outside of bars.
Old 10-01-2006, 05:19 PM

Also, you guys over estimate how much a thai person with a farang cares about money. do you realize there are millions of farang in thailand yearly? do you think it is that hard for them to land one if they only wanted money?

btw, your friend is a real dick for leading that girl on.
Old 10-01-2006, 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If there was even one comment in the other thread saying "I would like to move to Thailand so I can learn something, teach something, share something, make a meaninful connection with someone" I would not be so over the top in my comments.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, i guess you have me on ignore.
Old 10-01-2006, 05:24 PM

deg,

yeah. that is obviously a very real possibility.

note, if you been in thailand for 3 weeks you dont know your ass from a hole in the ground.
Old 10-01-2006, 05:25 PM

Default Re: Ask KJS what\'s not so great about living in Thailand EDIT

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i'd like to hear what negatives you'd have to say about thailand from the perspective of a young, well off person who doesn't need anything to make money besides the internet?

[/ QUOTE ]

Main negative: you will meet a lot of people who are well off and don't need anything to make money besides the internet. Personally, I am not a big fan of those people.

KJS

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? It has to be more than just that they are well off and make money on the internet.

EDIT: I see you've answered this further down the thread.

Been so long since I saw a KJS post, much less posting a topic, I had to respond. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

How's everything goin' bud?

b
Old 10-01-2006, 05:34 PM

GA,

Lets pretend that she is actually a regular girl that he met.

She was deperate to marry him, so she tried to down everything to make him happy.

So he enjoyed his time staying with her, eating her food and banging her, and then he left and went back to America.

Sounds like a really great guy. Did he compensate her for her time with him? The guys going with prostitutes are villianized, yet if you said was true, than your friends girl was also a prostitute only she was working without pay hoping to land a big fish. for her effort she got nothing.

but yeah your friend is not like THEM. he should feel good about himself for that.