FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2006, 03:21 AM

Default Re: The worst pain ever

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="gray">--------------------
<font color="gray">--------------------
root canals
--------------------</font>

I just had one of these done. 2 modest needles followed by 2 smaller needles, and then 30 min later and I was done. Didnt hurt any more than a filling.
--------------------</font>

You didn't feel the part where they twist a screw up in there and rip the root out? Maybe they do them differently these days, or novocaine actually works on some people.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didnt really feel a thing during the proceedure. I dotn think I had novacain either... just whatever normal freezing they give.
Old 09-25-2006, 03:27 AM

migraines
Old 09-25-2006, 04:58 AM

The 1-10 scale used by pain management is pretty useless and entirely subjective. Since I suffer from chronic pain, I would be asked this question on every visit and it was pointless.

But essentially, I classify a 10 as the most pain you can stand without losing consciousness.

When I had my motorcycle accident &gt;10 yrs ago, a lorry hit me side on and snapped my lower leg like a twig. SNAP. The flesh and muscle kept my foot attached to my leg, and by the time I reached Casualty I was at about an 8. I didn't realise it was compounded, so in fact my tibia/fibula were protruding through my lower leg...

It was at that point, the on-call trauma/orthopedic Dr decided to try and reduce the fracture while I lay on a cold gurny (my foot was flopped to one side while my leg was laying straight). As he was about to do this, his assistant looked nervously at him and said "aren't you going to give him anything?". In the interest of speed, he said, "no". When a physician looks like something is going to hurt you, you know you're in for something evil. The assistant held my leg, and the trauma Dr took hold of my foot that was flopping around and p-u-l-l-e-d.

This is the only time I have ever involuntarily screamed in uncontrollable pain.

Oh, it was a 10, btw.

Peculiar note: being a nice, civilised young man back then, I remember thinking in that split second that I was in a crowded hospital, and should not shout anything too obscene....! [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Incidentally, my everyday life ranges from a 3 to a 7 every day. I'd rather have a month of 10's than a lifetime of 3 to 7's.

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 09-25-2006, 09:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What is the worst pain you have ever felt? Was it dental?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, for me it was breaking my Femur bone. It's the largest, longest and thickest bone in the human body. I snapped that [censored] right in two. (Well my brother did actually, we were sledding and he slammed right into me)

The pain didn't register right away since it happened so fast, so I tried to stand up...then I felt it.

It kinda looked like I had two knees.

4 months in traction, 6 months in a full body cast up to my chest, and 4 more months of therepy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was in car crash that smashed up my pelvis (lots of other injuries as well).
I was in traction for 3 months, released from hospital and had physio for 3 months. I was'nt getting any better so was back in hospital where they discovered an infection in my pelvis...

I better not tell the whole story, it'll take too long.

Basically, my second stint in hospital was for 13 months due to complications. They fused my left hip (the joint was'nt fixable).

A few months after I was out of hospital, I got an infection in my pelvis again, there can be no pain on earth worse than what I felt.

I was on morphine and valium and it still hurt like hell.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:06 PM

Appendicitis was the worst for me. No insurance so I laid in the fetal position for about 10 hours before dragging myself to the hospital. Surgery immediately. Catheter 6 hours after surgery. Another 6 hours later. God those hurt like a mofo too.

KJS
Old 09-25-2006, 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They had drive a syringe of novacaine underneath my nail. Im freaking out now just thinking about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had this done after getting my fingler SLAMMED in a car door, which actually latched. My instinct was to jerk my finger out of the latched door which broke my finger.

Also, collapsed lungs and dislocated knee caps hurt like a sombitch.
Old 09-26-2006, 03:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
root canals

[/ QUOTE ]

Had one. Child birth is worse.

I'll only use situations I know of, personally.
Old 09-26-2006, 03:18 AM

Kidney Stone...hands down.
Old 09-26-2006, 03:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
root canals

[/ QUOTE ]

I just had one of these done. 2 modest needles followed by 2 smaller needles, and then 30 min later and I was done. Didnt hurt any more than a filling.

[/ QUOTE ]

I got screwed... He missed a nerve with the novacaine and while drilling, hit it. Oh, that made me jump! Never went back to that Mofo again.
Old 09-26-2006, 03:39 AM

Calf cramps in the middle of the night are the [censored] worst for me.